User Tag List

Thread: Rapha hardshell Qs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rapha hardshell Qs

First time Rapha buyer. The current deal on the hardshell got me. Yes, materials and quality are superlative. Purchased a L. It will work over a standard weight synthetic cycling jersey (i.e., thin base layer), but it's too snug to fit over anything thick or wool.

I know that Rapha says go ahead and test it, but it's been tricky to find time to get outside between travel and weather.

Questions for others who use this jacket:
    - in practice, what do you wear under this jacket, and in what temp range/conditions?

- at 42", I'm at the upper end of the size range for L in the chest. I prefer a snug fit on the bike - no flappy garments - so the L fit is good, except for layering. Concerned that a step to XL will put me at the small end of the range, but maybe work better on winter days in NE when a base and middle layer are needed. Any advice on this?

I'd like this to be a late fall/winter/early spring jacket.

TIA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rapha hardshell Qs

Quote Originally Posted by TTX1 View Post
    First time Rapha buyer. The current deal on the hardshell got me. Yes, materials and quality are superlative. Purchased a L. It will work over a standard weight synthetic cycling jersey (i.e., thin base layer), but it's too snug to fit over anything thick or wool.

I know that Rapha says go ahead and test it, but it's been tricky to find time to get outside between travel and weather.

Questions for others who use this jacket:
    - in practice, what do you wear under this jacket, and in what temp range/conditions?

- at 42", I'm at the upper end of the size range for L in the chest. I prefer a snug fit on the bike - no flappy garments - so the L fit is good, except for layering. Concerned that a step to XL will put me at the small end of the range, but maybe work better on winter days in NE when a base and middle layer are needed. Any advice on this?

I'd like this to be a late fall/winter/early spring jacket.

TIA!
    Wear it over a winter-weight base layer, or a thinner, long sleeve base and long sleeve mid layer.
    I's cut for riding, so it should feel a little tight when standing with your arms to your side.
    Last edited by chasea; 01-25-2015 at 12:50 PM.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine is a size M - winter race cut - not flapping and allows me to wear it in combinations as mentioned by Chasea. My only peeve is the back keeps riding up and I have to pull it down occasionally (when I think of it). Maybe more recent models have solved this (mine is about 2 years old)...
    . K R I S T O F . D H .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pajotfix View Post
    Mine is a size M - winter race cut - not flapping and allows me to wear it in combinations as mentioned by Chasea. My only peeve is the back keeps riding up and I have to pull it down occasionally (when I think of it). Maybe more recent models have solved this (mine is about 2 years old)...
    I have a current Hardshell and it doesn't ride up (also a medium).
    Great jacket that fits really good on the bike, ok off the bike, very form fitting. I wear mine with a wool base layer and LS jersey and could probably fit another base under mine without an issue. With the LS and Wool I'm good into the 20s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, all.

I'm tempted to give the jacket a shoveling test today...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was also my first substantial Rapha purchase, as I was similarly motivated by the deep discount on the Hardshell.

I tried mine on with a medium-weight l/s wool jersey and found I still have room for another layer. I'm hoping this jacket offers me a level of protection that I've not gotten out of anything else I currently own, which was another primary motivation behind the purchase.

Hoping for an on the bike test this Sunday.