User Tag List

Thread: Paragon-style sliding dropouts specs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Paragon-style sliding dropouts specs

anyone know where I can find specs, dimensions, CAD drawings, etc of the sliding dropouts that work with Paragons? I am considering getting some custom-sized Paragon-compatible dropouts made out of stainless but I can't find specs online. I might just have to lend my dropouts (after I buy my frame) to my machinist to copy, but it would be nice to have a drawing to go off of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Paragon-style sliding dropouts specs

Did you check Paragon's page? They have almost all specs available in pdf format. If not, I'd try emailing/calling them.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No they do not have a detailed drawing of each part, especially not for the public. They do have some top-level drawings with overall dimensions, which will not work for your machinist. What they do have and will provide are solid models, which you could get dimensions off of them or you could feed these solid models directly into a CNC machine (with some programming involved of course). Why are you making stainless knockoffs of their parts? Are you talking about the flanges or the inserts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the shortest effective CS on my Soma Juice is about 17.5 and I am trying to set it up single-speed with a CS about 1/2" shorter (32/20 fits just about perfect at 17"). I am going to try to get some sliders fabricated that would position the axle slightly forward of the standard position, thus shortening the chainstay. I tried, Paragon is not interested in making some for me. I might run into tire clearance issues but it's worth an experiment.

the other, less interesting part of this story is that I would buy a different frame with a shorter CS but extenuating circumstances left me a Soma Juice as my only choice. it's a rad frame, I just wish I could smoosh the axle forward enough to take a link out of the chain (so I can do wheelies, of course!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was under the impression that those sliders were sort of an open-source thing, since more than one company makes them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds like you need a set of custom aluminum inserts for your slider dropouts. How much are you will to spend? Most custom machine shops should be able to make you a set, with a premium of course. Might want to contact Loco Machine, as they can make almost anything custom cycling related.

Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    the shortest effective CS on my Soma Juice is about 17.5 and I am trying to set it up single-speed with a CS about 1/2" shorter (32/20 fits just about perfect at 17"). I am going to try to get some sliders fabricated that would position the axle slightly forward of the standard position, thus shortening the chainstay. I tried, Paragon is not interested in making some for me. I might run into tire clearance issues but it's worth an experiment.

the other, less interesting part of this story is that I would buy a different frame with a shorter CS but extenuating circumstances left me a Soma Juice as my only choice. it's a rad frame, I just wish I could smoosh the axle forward enough to take a link out of the chain (so I can do wheelies, of course!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, goat, that is my point. I know a fellow rider who prototypes stuff for manufacturers. He wants to make them for me mostly to see if he can do it. I can just lend him the inserts to make his own measurements, but it would be nice to see the drawings that Tange, Paragon, and whoever makes the same thing are using.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tigoat View Post
    It sounds like you need a set of custom aluminum inserts for your slider dropouts. How much are you will to spend? Most custom machine shops should be able to make you a set, with a premium of course. Might want to contact Loco Machine, as they can make almost anything custom cycling related.
    just a wild idea, maybe Paragon would be happy to make them as well.
    Davorin Ruševljan
    rookie that does not know what things he does not know about frame building.
    nevertheless, hopeful to change that in distant future
    http://www.cloud208.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

like I said, that has been discussed with Paragon and they are not interested. plus, I can get a friend to do it for free.

it looks like most of them are made from 6061 alu. sounds good, but is there any reason I would want to make them from anything else?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mack_turtle...could you please comply with the forum rules and post your full name in the signature line?

As for the specs for the sliders, Mark is very generous with the pdf's he posts on the web site, but you cannot realistically ask him to give away all his Intellectual Property for other to copy/modify.

I would suggest simply purchasing a set of Aluminum inserts from Mark, using a set of calipers and some patience and recreating the base profile. You can then work on moving the axle placement to see if your idea is functional and efficient for your design goals. It is a cheap way to get your hands on a finished product AND support Paragon at the same time.

cheers,

rody
    Rody Walter
    Groovy Cycleworks...Custom frames with a dash of Funk!
    Website - www.groovycycleworks.com
    Blog - www.groovycycleworks.blogspot.com
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Groov...s/227115749408

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mack_turtle,

As others have mentioned we are happy to provide you with *.STEP files for any Paragon parts you are interested in. These can usually be found on the parts page, under the "Drawings" tab. If there is a *.STEP file you are having trouble finding please don't hesitate to contact me at MCSW@paragonmachineworks.com and I'll send you over the file.

Best of luck with the project, and make sure to post up some pictures of your insert when you start getting things rolling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Paragon (Mark?). I am not familiar with manufacturing processes, so I didn't know what to make of those *.step files. I will send those links to my machinist friend and keep you posted if/how it turns out.

I am still kind of new to this forum. I just added a signature but it's not showing up. will pursue this issue.