User Tag List

Thread: Replacing Band on a Tag Watch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Replacing Band on a Tag Watch

Have a Tag Link quartz that I'm considering replacing the bracelet band with a NATO strap.
    Hope it will reduce weight, save the bracelet that sometimes opens on its own, and fit my skinny wrist better.

No local jeweler seems to know how to remove the bracelet and all google shows is how to remove a link other than the one that attaches to the watch.

How difficult and what should I get if I want to attempt the job myself?

Thanks for any attention.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Replacing Band on a Tag Watch

Photo, please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A photo would help, but I don't think you'll be able to get a NATO on a Tag Link. For a pass-through strap like a NATO to work, you need an open space between the lugs and retaining pin. The Link has a section that sticks out in the middle of the lug that could get in the way. I have two Tags and neither one, a Monaco or a Formula 1, can fit a NATO strap and those have much more space than a Link. Maybe a very thin one would fit, but I've never seen a Link without a bracelet on to really see how much room there is. That said, if you want to remove the bracelet you probably need a very, very thin flathead screwdriver. Watchmaker's screwdrivers are tiny compared with anything you'd normally use and that's typically what's needed to get into the tight space to release the tension pin that holds the bracelet on (in general, I'm not 100% on the Link). You have some Tag dealers in your area, so you may want to check with them for any help getting the bracelet fixed or replaced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen NATO's on 2000 series TAGs but those cases are typical lugs with spring bars and provide sufficient room for a nato band to go between the case and the bar once the decorative covers are removed. NATOs actually look pretty good on the 2000s. I might do my old TAG that way for days when I don't want to wear the Seamaster. Wait, that would be zero days. Nevermind.

Back to the topic....

Just pulled out my wife's link off her wrist to have a look. No easy DIY way to do NATO on a link style case. Even if the attachment points for the bracelet could be removed the case back has two small protrusions that take up almost all of the space before the spring bar. There isn't enough room to get a band between the case and the spring bars. The spring bars look fairly standard to my eye.

There are some aftermarket screw tubes and leather straps available for link style bracelets but they all retain the two "spring bar links" that attach to the case.

Tag Heuer S/EL Sports Edition-Men's Watch

You might be able to modify a rubber strap to fit and with some patience that could look good. Perhaps a professional like Honus has seen a good modification or has a creative idea.

Sorry no real help but those are very nice watches so don't give up easily. A dealer should be able to source a replacement clasp and the link band is good looking so that is one way to go. Entire replacement bands are pricey but can also be found.

-Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First image upload so excuse if done incorrectly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ended being rather easy.
    Jewelers pin removal tool at the two pin holes on the band and a jeweler to do it.