Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Podcasts: cycling or otherwise

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Podcasts: cycling or otherwise

I have been commuting in the car a bit more now that winter has fallen and looking for some audio stimulation. Just getting into to the podcast format and am looking for some recommendations. Serial is on my list along with old classics this American life etc.

Are there any cycling related podcasts worth the listen? Not sure that I need more cyclosaturation but I would give something withy a listen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Podcasts: cycling or otherwise

One of my favorites is the HackneyGT feed. Mostly what could best be classified as world music. Done by a London DJ who also happens to be a bike nut and sponsors a cross team. Cycling kit available in his online store. About an hour or so every week. Consistently good tunes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not cycling but if you aren't listening to Serial you are missing out on some really great broadcasts. Freakanomics, Radiolab and This American Life will have you covered until spring. For music Kexp Music That Matters podcast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hank has some good stuff listed.

For cycling podcasts it doesn't get any better (for me) than The Open Mic podcast. Former pro Mike Creed interviews a bunch of people. Katie Compton, Phil Gaimon, Alex Howes, Bo Hamburger, Lucas Euser, Timmy Duggan, and a bunch more. About an hour's worth of conversation that ranges from dick jokes to racing stories to stories about all the stuff that happens between races to the economics of continental pro cycling.

I enjoy Speed Metal Cycling during road season. The Slow ride podcast is off to a good start. Both are basically commentary on road and cross pro stuff but Speed Metal is more road focused and Slow Ride seems more cross focused, though they do talk about some road stuff.

The Nerdist Podcast and WTF with Marc Maron are both really good "interview" shows where the format is really just having a real conversation as opposed to hitting a bunch of canned talking points and plugging current stuff. Lots of back episodes that age well. This is basically what Creed's podcast is too, just with cyclists instead.

Superego is really funny if the idea of audio sketch comedy appeals to you. Doug loves movies is fun if you enjoy film trivia and/or Doug Benson's brand of comedy. Jay and Silent Bob Get Old is really interesting at least for the first 10-15 episodes - Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes reminisce about their lives and some of the movies they made together.

What are you into besides bikes? There's a good podcast or two on almost any subject.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree with everything above about Serial. Great podcast.

Further:

99% Invisible
    Slate's Political Gabfest
    All Songs Considered
    Lexicon Valley
    Dan Carlin's Hardcore History on WWI (if you don't find his tone too off-putting, and just accept that he's an amateur so that you don't expect professional rigor)
    Tiny Atoms

And, if you're interested in nordic skiing, a couple buddies of mine recently started a podcast called Men in Spandex. Lots of World Cup gossip, waxing knowledge, and some Scandinavian humor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My brother-in-law, Bill Lupoletti, does a great weekly show on WRIR in Richmond, VA (home of the 2015 UCI Road World Championships) that is sort of a musicology show with lots of current music from all over the world as well as stuff from the past. His depth of knowledge is pretty incredible. Never know what he is going to play each week, though he does like Africa and Eastern Europe.

Here is his website with his show playlists:

GLOBAL A GO-GO

And here is his podcast stream. You can copy the link there for the series and paste it into iTunes, and then it will download each week automatically (if you set it up that way.) His show is live on WRIR every Friday from 5-7PM EST.

Programs from series: Global A Go-Go|A-Infos Radio Project
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History on WWI (if you don't find his tone too off-putting, and just accept that he's an amateur and don't expect professional rigor).
    Yes! Fascinating stuff. Forgot to mention that one.

Also forgot to mention The Moth. Great storytelling podcast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cycling:
    The Spokesman: infrequently updated but overall ok
    Rouleur: synopsis of the magazine with insight into the photographs
    Outspoken Cyclist: I recently quit this as the host clearly has some biases and uses every episode to trot them out but listen for yourself

Non cycling
    The Sporkful
    Adam Carolla
    Mac break weekly / TWIT
    Real Time with Bill Maher
    Alton Browncast
    Wait wait don't tell me
    Radiolab
    Science Friday

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cycling:
    Open Mic - Can't recommend this highly enough. Make sure you go through all of the old episodes.
    Telegraph Cycling Podcast - Well-connected journos, well-producted show. Lionel Birnie's Six Day piece was brilliant radio. Freibe will have lots to say on the Astana ep that I've just noticed is up.
    SpeedMetal - Not taking anything PRO seriously.
    Rouleur - Dry but often interesting.
    FlipTwitch - About as indie as they come. Grass roots chat.

Non-cycling:
    BBC 5 Live F1 - If you're into that sort of thing.
    The Rally Show - See above
    Freaknomics

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Art of Manliness: random manly topics, interviews mostly. Fairly low fi, but that's part of the charm.
    Criminal: Interesting and quirky stories of crime and criminals.
    Planet Money: Like Freakonomics, but more newsy. This is a must for me.
    "We're Alive": an audio drama based on a zombie apocalypse. I thought it was cheesy at first, then got hooked.
    Welcome to Nite Vail: It's great, awesome story telling. Very nonlinear. Fantastic use of the language. And Carlos is dreamy.

And of course: This American Life, Radiolab, Freakonomics and StarTalk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    The Art of Manliness: random manly topics, interviews mostly. Fairly low fi, but that's part of the charm.
    There is some pretty good content there and some really interesting guests, but I also find the ultra-traditional gender stereotyping gets obnoxious real fast. Obviously YMMV.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boxerboxer View Post
    There is some pretty good content there and some really interesting guests, but I also find the ultra-traditional gender stereotyping gets obnoxious real fast. Obviously YMMV.
    Totally agree with you. I skip most of the episodes that don't have a strong guest with a compelling story. I found the two episodes on strength training surprisingly good and the most recent interview of Tony Robbins was interesting, when I expected it to be a waste of electrons.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everything is Stories
    Love and Radio
    Comedy Bang! Bang!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boxerboxer View Post
    Hank has some good stuff listed.

For cycling podcasts it doesn't get any better (for me) than The Open Mic podcast. Former pro Mike Creed interviews a bunch of people. Katie Compton, Phil Gaimon, Alex Howes, Bo Hamburger, Lucas Euser, Timmy Duggan, and a bunch more. About an hour's worth of conversation that ranges from dick jokes to racing stories to stories about all the stuff that happens between races to the economics of continental pro cycling.

I enjoy Speed Metal Cycling during road season. The Slow ride podcast is off to a good start. Both are basically commentary on road and cross pro stuff but Speed Metal is more road focused and Slow Ride seems more cross focused, though they do talk about some road stuff.

The Nerdist Podcast and WTF with Marc Maron are both really good "interview" shows where the format is really just having a real conversation as opposed to hitting a bunch of canned talking points and plugging current stuff. Lots of back episodes that age well. This is basically what Creed's podcast is too, just with cyclists instead.

Superego is really funny if the idea of audio sketch comedy appeals to you. Doug loves movies is fun if you enjoy film trivia and/or Doug Benson's brand of comedy. Jay and Silent Bob Get Old is really interesting at least for the first 10-15 episodes - Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes reminisce about their lives and some of the movies they made together.

What are you into besides bikes? There's a good podcast or two on almost any subject.
    You get me, bro

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by doomridesout View Post
    Everything is Stories Love and Radio Comedy Bang! Bang!
    Dooooooood! I forgot Comedy Bang Bang somehow! I don't deserve to live.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

W T F

GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favorite podcasts are Escape Pod, Podcastle and Pseudopod for short sci-fi, fantasy and horror stories respectively.
    I'll also listen to The Nerdist if it's a guest I am interested in, and Talking Metal which is like a heavy metal news show.

I also listen to the Critical Hit D&D podcast and an assortment of gaming casts. This may be the wrong crowd for that though:)
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like:
    Car Talk (still in best of/reruns)
    Sword and Laser
    Wait Wait Don't Tell Me

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what's not been mentioned:
    Serial
    Lux Radio Theater for your old-timey radio broadcast plays fix
    Death, Sex, and Money
    NPR: Intelligence Squared US Debates
    The Bugle
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
    Give up cycling, keep riding the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skeptoid is good

Grantland.com has got some good sports and pop culture stuff. I really like Jalen Rose and Zach Lowe on basketball.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast