User Tag List

Thread: Outdoor Cooking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Outdoor Cooking

So when I was first married, I did most of the cooking because my wife hadn't ever really cooked. I wasn't anything special but I could do the basics. The years since then my wife has become a foodie and really outstanding in the kitchen. So much so that I rarely cook serious meals any more with one exception, the outdoors. I still have the outdoor cooking and today I added a tool I've desired for some time.

image.jpg

My dad and I are planning to build a table to house it over the Christmas break. I can't wait to fire it up and start playing with some different cooks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Outdoor Cooking

Nice!

I bought a BGE 5-6 years ago and it's a game changer for low and slow as well as high heat grilling. Very efficient. I got a large, but almost immediately wanted the XL. Great cookers. Visit bbqbrethren.com for any help/suggestions/issues- great bunch of folks as passionate about outdoor cooking as this place is about bicycles.

First few cooks should generally be some pork butts/chuckies/ribs or any long low and slow cook to set the gasket. After that, do the hellfire grill stuff (steaks, etc). Damn, I love Green Eggs.

Can't tell due to photo perspective- what size is it? XL or mini? J/K =)
    T.o.m. K.o.h.l.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You just made a very good choice. I got mine a few yrs ago and it is in heavy rotation. Not a week goes by something isn't cooking. There are a bunch of Vsalon folks using this.
    Suggest you stick with the fancy charcoal and practice getting temps right with simple whole chickens.
    I never felt the need for any of the after market fancy pants temp controls etc. As it sits you have a lifetime investment.
    The only upgrade i made was to replace the felt fasket with a nomex (?) one because i like to make pizza and the high temps, repeated opening can torch it.
    Well done sir.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First cook complete. Ran it longer than the actual cook to set the gaskets but all in pretty happy with how easy it was to control the temperature.

Spatchcock chicken with a modified Adam Perry Lang honey glaze. Pretty happy with the result, very moist and good flavor.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see what you did there! Roasted potatoes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, put some potatos in the drip pan. The chicken didn't render as much as when we've done it in a cast iron skillet in the oven but the potatos still came out with really good flavor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Continue to love the BGE, did a reverse sear of some t-bones tonight. The ease of temperature control is fantastic. No pictures but they were great as were the baked sweet potatos and roasted cauliflower.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try the spatcock again with the bird directly on the grill with charcoal burning only on one side.
    Just salt the bird heavily and lots of GOOD paprika.
    Set the temp. to anything under 300F.
    Hokey Smokes that's good. Makes a crisp bird that is extremely juicy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tonight was burger night. No finished pics because they were consumed so quickly.

image.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tamu8104 View Post
    Tonight was burger night. No finished pics because they were consumed so quickly.

image.jpg
    Slick wire plate holder. Who makes that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's from the Ceramic Grill Store. Shop Ceramic Grill Store

They make great stuff. I bought this and a ceramic plate from them instead of the normal platesetter. It provides a lot more cook options. I'm planning to get an Adjustable Rig next along with some half ceramic plates. I want to full leverage the size of the XL and be able to run direct and indirect at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First attempt at home made bacon. 4 lbs of pork belly cured for 10 days and then smoked. Temperature got away from me a bit so had to pull it earlier then expected but it still came out beautifully.

Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice work boss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great lookin bacon! i've gotta try that sometime.

i have a Kimodo smoker, a predecessor to the BGE. a worthy outdoor cooking tool. i'm still farting around with temperature control for low/slow cooking, but im getting better at it.

i think some ribs are in order this weekend.
    Ethan Yotter
    former wrench

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by slowSSer View Post
    great lookin bacon! i've gotta try that sometime.

i have a Kimodo smoker, a predecessor to the BGE. a worthy outdoor cooking tool. i'm still farting around with temperature control for low/slow cooking, but im getting better at it.

i think some ribs are in order this weekend.
    If that smoker is anything like my Egg than having a intact gasket, and not letting it get hot in the beginning is key to low and slow. If I do both of those things, I can set the bottom and top vent and forget it for hours and temps stay at around or under 225F. This is much harder to do in cold weather natch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    ... not letting it get hot in the beginning is key to low and slow. If I do both of those things, I can set the bottom and top vent and forget it for hours and temps stay at around or under 225F.
    I think it is best to WATCH it climb to 225. Or light it and then go pump up your tires for a long ride and immediately return to check the temp.

Since this is the most mechanically inclined group of BGE users, anybody got advice on aligning the top after it has been removed to replace the gasket? I searched for and followed many sets of directions and can't get it to line up as I originally assembled. It's close but...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by classtimesailer View Post
    I think it is best to WATCH it climb to 225. Or light it and then go pump up your tires for a long ride and immediately return to check the temp.

Since this is the most mechanically inclined group of BGE users, anybody got advice on aligning the top after it has been removed to replace the gasket? I searched for and followed many sets of directions and can't get it to line up as I originally assembled. It's close but...
    Removing the top skeeerd me so I cheesed out and used a scraper and small wire wheel on a cordless drill to do the deed. It looks like a two man job to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Josh on both his points. First the key is lighting it and making sure it doesn't get too hot. I did some ribs yesterday and they were good but I think next time I'll try Adam Perry Langs method of utilizing a "moisturizing" glaze in the beginning.

Second, I have also been scared of removing the top so avoided it at all cost. That said, I think there was some good discussion about removing on reinstalling the top on the Big Green Egg forum.
    Nathan H