User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your greatest life accomplishment: Let's hear them!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Your greatest life accomplishment: Let's hear them!

2 kids far above anything else. my kids are great.
    now 2 grandchildren as well.

started 2 successful businesses.
    sold both and enjoy what im doing now as much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I once did 10,020 push ups in 30 consecutive days.

I hit a hole in one on a 157yd par 3. Had always figured if I ever hit one I'd be out by myself with no witnesses, but instead, play was so slow ahead of us there were two 4-somes stacked behind us watching our group tee off. That hole in one saved me a shit-ton of money because I've rarely golfed since.

Of course stumbling into the perfect (imperfect) marriage and raising a couple great kids is up there, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

20-some-odd years as a professional musician (plus another ~15 as a part-time/semi-pro) has provided me with a substantial legacy of original recordings and compositions -- along with a vast store of memories and experiences that will definitely frighten the grandchildren.

Now that I think of it, the recordings and compositions will probably frighten the grandchildren too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

For many years, my greatest accomplishment was making my college soccer team as a freshman. It was a true mental, physical, and emotional test. But in July '13, after 12 years together with Kate, we got married. Hands down, my biggest accomplishment to date. But now, 16 months later, Kate is fighting breast cancer and chemo. There are more accomplishments ahead.

Speaking of heads, we shaved our heads yesterday. One of the best days we've had in months. Laughed our asses off!
    Harth Huffman
    www.wabiwoolens.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raising two happy, productive, and lovable kids and being a pretty damn good parent after spending large portions of my life being a fucking dickhead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My avatar shows the proudest mechanical achievement. (Hunwick Hallam) I truely hope that I can better that but I have doubts. There is always new projects for the future.
    On a sporting side, this is a hard one. Raced Cat 1 road races, but badly, ridden a world super bike around Phillip Island, driven a F1 boat, landed a 540 on my 35 b-day skating a massive 15ft vert ramp. etc....... Life can be a whole lot of fun!!
    On a personal side quiting hard drugs before they completely screwed me up. Funny thing is that I only quit so that I could selfishly ride my bike faster. After about two months I realized the drugs were also letting me be an asshole to the people I love.
    I don't consider meeting my wife an accomplishment but a golden moment in time.

I didn't think of this thread as a way to write look at what I have done, but more so as an end of year looking back at things with a smile.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deboat View Post
    I don't consider meeting my wife an accomplishment but a golden moment in time.
    I agree. Meeting my wife was a golden moment. Convincing her to spend the rest of our lives together was an accomplishment.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

most things are falling apart for me this year. My 8 year old fox hunts with adults and my 4 year old asked if she could donate some of her toys to poor kids when she found out about the Toys for Tots program. They'll hold me together hopefully.

10557036_813093245417497_8473269634498565966_o.jpghannah.jpg
    Insubordinate. And Churlish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm 44, I don't think I've done it yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I'm 44, I don't think I've done it yet.
    I'm 47 and have lived an interesting life at times but there have been no great achievements.

Maybe quitting drinking soda a couple months ago counts but compared with people here who have given up much worse stuff that sounds pretty comical.

Passing my JAA (Joint Aviation Authority) ATPL (Airline Transport Pilot License) check ride and getting a job flying with the national airline in Switzerland ranks pretty high for me. I'm proud of that as it was probably the first big thing I had done sort of on my own, though without my ex it would never have been possible.

But all this is personal.

I did finish Ballers that first year on a road bike with road tires. That was a great achievement!
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

* Sobriety 19 years in 12 days

*Child tyrant of 15 who will accomplish his own great things due to his superior breeding (my wife)

*BSN in Nursing at age 54 ~ now I help people to recover from illness/disease, better than the "hey wake up buddy it's last call" as the bartender/grave-filler of my youth

*My greatest hope is to "pass it on" to those struggling; and perhaps eventually work in the field of "recovery" and that's not hiding my past from them either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Perfunctory reference to 3 talented children.

That out of the way, I won the Clydesdale class at the 2012 Vermont 50, after being at the back of the pack five years earlier.

When I was in college I wanted to ride the length of Vermont on Route 100 in a day; it took a couple of tries but I eventually did it (with my girlfriend pacing me at the beginning and end, and my dad driving support).

When I was 17 I rode my bike from New England to Jackson Wyoming alone in the late fall. Fantastic trip that made a huge difference in my life, but what a grind at times.

I'm leaving my professional life out of it.

Artie

Hopefully I haven't peaked yet. But if I have, not too bad.

I saved a girl from drowning in Cabo San Lucas many years ago. I've only told a few people this but i can share with you guys. She was a goner, I somehow mustered the strength to pull her from extremely violent surf.

More recently, I realized that learning to truly love yourself allows you to love others more completely. This has been a game changer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not quite 60 yet, so ask me again in another decade or two. Better yet ask my family and co-workers after I'm gone and see whether there was anything worth mentioning.

Nick

“If today is not your day,
    then be happy
    for this day shall never return.
    And if today is your day,
    then be happy now
    for this day shall never return.”
    ― Kamand Kojouri

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Cycling: Riding across the country with 2 of my best friends in 1994, and still calling them 2 of my best friends today

Career: Making a go of self-employment for the last ~12 years. Not getting rich, and it can be stressful, but at least I have the flexibility to enjoy family, riding, skiing, and other things I love to do. Maybe I could simplify it and say that I created a situation where I could really participate in my daughter's childhood instead of watching from a distance while working long hours & commuting. I'm proud of that.

Culinary: Being able to whip out a full Thanksgiving turkey dinner in 2hrs flat. (plus oven time) Some people get stressed out about cooking. I love it, and find it relaxing. Plus my stuffing and gravy both kick ass.
    John Cully
    I ride bikes...not enough.
    I drink wine...not enough.
    I play guitar & bass...not well enough.
    I travel...not NEARLY enough.
    www.luccavacationhome.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My greatest accomplishment? Maybe realizing that the question misses the point of life.
    GO!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12