Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Building a kids bike

I am building a bike for my daughter based on 20" wheels, with a steeper seat tube (74) and slacker head tube (70 or 71). Is there a trail (or a head tube angle and fork rack combo) that works well for new riders? Also, been trying to figure out why all the production kids bikes I've seen (and that we own) have such high bottom brackets (i.e. little drop)... am I missing something? Just watching my daughter ride her bike makes me think a frame with more drop would be appropriate and helpful. And thoughts/suggestions on some general design parameters would be appreciated. Thanks.

JC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Building a kids bike

Bb height is a function of crank length on small bikes. There is just so much you can drop the bb with 20 inch wheels.

My method for doing a one off for my kids is to do my final check in bike cad. I can visually tell if the design will be wonky or have some problems. I also design the bikes on the slightly big side so as the saddle goes up they grow into the frames and not directly out. Most importantly, I let the kid pick the color. As far as forks go I've always used off the shelf mtb forks for the mtb bikes so I worked with that rake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One builder who has experience with different wheel sizes uses the 81* castor angle as a guide for steering geometry. This number comes from decades of their and another's experience. There are builders about who have a lot od 20" experience, any BMX or freestyle builder as example. Bike Friday uses 20" wheels on lots of their bikes too. Andy.
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I measured our kids bikes seat tube angles when I started on a 24" for my son and they are all on the steep side. 75* & 76* for the 20" and 24" bikes we have. I went with 76* and 70* HTA. I'm interested in the 81* caster angle measure. I'll have to look at that and see where I landed. I'm done with the fork and front triangle so, it's locked at this point.

Bottom bracket drop is tricky. More seems good but, could be disastrous - or at least painful. For an adult, we know not to pedal through corners above a certain speed - kids don't know that and I've seen my son pedal through corners and clip a pedal so be careful there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 6yo is just about to grow out of a 16" wheel GT scamp that she's been riding (with no training wheels) since her 4th birthday.

gt_scamp_girls_bmx_bike_16_19427601.jpg

One of the good features of this bike has been the slack seat tube angle which means that the reach increases more as the seat goes up.

I think that it also has shorter cranks and a lower bb than other similar bikes which helps to lower the stand over and center of gravity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duane nails the issue with BB drop; pedal clearance when cornering. Also, you didn't mention if you were building a geared bike, but if so, you'll have to lengthen he chain stays to achieve a reasonable chain line (longer wheel base is a bit slower, but the extra stability helps when they get going downhill). My daughter's 20" wheel road bike used BMX cranks and 1X9 Shimano drive train with a bar end shifter.

Quote Originally Posted by duanedr View Post
    I measured our kids bikes seat tube angles when I started on a 24" for my son and they are all on the steep side. 75* & 76* for the 20" and 24" bikes we have. I went with 76* and 70* HTA. I'm interested in the 81* caster angle measure. I'll have to look at that and see where I landed. I'm done with the fork and front triangle so, it's locked at this point.

Bottom bracket drop is tricky. More seems good but, could be disastrous - or at least painful. For an adult, we know not to pedal through corners above a certain speed - kids don't know that and I've seen my son pedal through corners and clip a pedal so be careful there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andrew, thanks for the input. One question though - I am not familiar with castor angle in relation to bicycle steering geometry. I did some research but wasn't able to clarify what is meant by castor. Could you provide a bit further detailed explanation? Thanks.

I am aware of castor as it relates to cars, but when it comes to bikes, everything i have learned to date has centered around head tube angle, rake and resulting trail.

Jonathan Clay

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, my chainstays are 395mm long. I'll be going with an older 8sp xtr rear with a single chainring in front. I want to do disc brakes but am working on how to get the caliper inside the rear triangle. The seatstays are going be fairly light and I don't think they'll withstand the braking forces.

How would one measure the castor angle on a bike? The diagrams I find don't make it clear what the upper bisect is. I'm assuming, given standard fork dropout, the lower bisect is through the axle. Or is it as simple as adding the fork offset angle (for example, a 7* fork crown) to the HTA?

Thanks as always!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuanGrande View Post
    Andrew, thanks for the input. One question though - I am not familiar with castor angle in relation to bicycle steering geometry. I did some research but wasn't able to clarify what is meant by castor. Could you provide a bit further detailed explanation? Thanks.

I am aware of castor as it relates to cars, but when it comes to bikes, everything i have learned to date has centered around head tube angle, rake and resulting trail.

Jonathan Clay
    As described by Bill Boston, castor angle is the angle WRT the ground with the steering axis/ground intersection and the axle. Remember with a rake the axle is off set from the steering axis. The formula is tire radius divided by trail.

I have found that most of the bikes I have ridden, measured geometry and wanted to replicate had a castor angle between 80 and 81 degrees. Andy.
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I built a kind of road bike with straight handlebars with 20” wheels for my daughter when she was 6 about 20 years ago. Somewhere I found 125mm cranks . The formula I used to determine BB drop was based on a desired BB height of 260mm (265 if one is more careless about pedaling through corners) if using 170 length cranks. Subtracting 125 from 170 means I can lower the BB height 45mm to 215mm when using 125mm cranks. This 215mm I subtract from the wheel radius to be my BB drop. There are 2 sizes of 20” wheel sizes. I chose the bigger 451s. The tire circumference is 1545mm according to a Cateye computer chart for 20” X 1 1/8” tires. 1545 ÷ 3.141 = 492 ÷ 2 = 246. So subtracting the wheel radius of 246 from a desired BB height of 215 means my drop will be 31 or if one wants to keep it simple, 30mm.

I remember the design to be fairly challenging because I couldn’t set her small body up on my fitting bicycle. Eventually I made a step through frame with an effective top tube length around 15”. My head angle was 71º with about 25mm of rake (I don’t have my build sheet handy to know exactly what it was). The seat angle was 72º with a set back seat post (since her handlebar height was a bit above the saddle). It all worked great for her until she outgrew it. I also needed to find a smaller saddle and brake levers. It had rear derailleur gears only.

The quote I’ll always remember, “Daddy, why can I go so much faster than my friends?“