User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rember where you were this day in 1963?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rember where you were this day in 1963?

I don't think most here are old enough, but for the oldsters...where were you today in 1963 when you heard that Jack Kennedy had been shot? I was in 2nd grade at St. Ignatious school...and Sister Elilzabeth Anne, who normally spent her time with us scowling, seething, or just whacking us boys across the back with a pointer, came into our classroom crying uncontrollably and telling us to line up, we were going home. I had about a mile walk home then, (could you imagine 2nd graders having that now?) and we boys took our usual sidetracks and "shortcuts" by the railroad tracks, the reservoir, and the dump...discussing the fact that the President had been shot. It was a quiet night at my house...with my mom being upset but very reserved about it all, but the old man was clearly very upset. Although his politics didn't completely parallel JKF's, the old man had grown up "Shitass Irish" Catholic, (as opposed to mom..who had been "Lace Curtain" Irish) and had personally experienced his Catholic background being a hindrance early on in his professional career....so he had been very excited about a Catholic occupying the presidency. People today probably wonder why that was such a big deal....but it was in those days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rember where you were this day in 1963?

I was just barely over 2 months old.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is my mom's story, she's told it a thousand times: she was at her doctor's office being told she was pregnant with me. She walked out of the office feeling as a mom would knowing she was finally pregnant only to wonder why the vibe was all wrong. People were frantic, hushed and quite distant. She finally stopped a passer by and asked what was up.

My life and that tragic day will be forever linked, at least in my mom's eyes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

freshman in high school.
    memorable day for sure.