Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me what I need to know about glasses

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tell me what I need to know about glasses

I'm the only one in my family that doesn't wear glasses. Or rather I was...the time has come. :-(

I've been to 6-7 shops in town and tried on ~ a hundred pairs. I'd settled on a pair until I tried on some ic! Berlin's in a small boutique which not only look baller (so I'm told) but are significantly more comfortable than anything else I've tried.

Questions are as follows:

1: What do I need to know about lenses? Everything is AR coated right? Transitions (I'm thinking not)?? I frequently use a grinder/lathe/etc at work so I'm around flying metal - what's going to be the toughest lens? (the point being I need a good lens - I still plan to switch to safety glasses for the rough work)

2: Sticker on the frames was $495 plus I was quoted another $140 for lenses...but after seeing online pricing for the frames at $260ish the shop told me they'd do it all (frames/lenses) for $450, does that seem about right? Must be a fairly significant mark up on these? Is there a significant risk of getting "fakes" online? I'm inclined to go with the local guys for $450 so I don't have to hassle with insurance claims, etc.

I'll think of more in the morning.
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Tell me what I need to know about glasses

My last set of lenses I was suggested to avoid AR coating as it's easier to scratch than the underlying 'glass', plus some other reasons which I don't recall. I was surprised as I thought all modern glasses had AR as default.

You can get safety-glass level lenses so no reason not to use the glasses around machinery as long as the lens coverage is good.

Sounds like you've got plenty of questions...to me that's why you should be down at the optometrist asking the pros and justifying / utilizing their markups :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The higher end coatings such as Crizal and Nikon are better performing than the less expensive coatings. My optometrist advises getting an A/R coated lens to all his clients and those that don't usually wind up coming back asking for it. Lenses aren't A/R coating unless you specify at the time of ordering.

Almost everyone uses plastic lenses vs. glass but I don't know which is tougher. If I were in your working environment, I'd either wear separate safety glasses or ask your optometrist what works against all that flying metal.

Comfort is EVERYTHING when it comes to frames. There have been pairs I've sworn off because they hurt after a couple hours. I won't give up the pair I have now until they break because they're pain-free all day.

The coating can be scratched if the wrong cleaning cloth is used i.e., your t-shirt, a towel, or a tissue. Use the little cloth the optometrist gives you and you're good.

I have the Transitions regular coating on my current glasses. A little slow to respond when you go indoors yet not a big deal, and you're not even aware it's active when outside. I also tried the XtrActive, which works behind a vehicle windshield; it's a faster acting lens but I didn't find it necessary while driving.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thx - good info.

Imho putting glass in front of the eyes is not a good thing in my work environment.

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting thread. I may find myself in this situation sooner rather than later. I know that my vision is not as sharp as it used to be. A decade of sitting a foot and a half from a computer screen, is bringin' me down, man.

I dont have much to add other than a suggestion to find a local independent shop that feels trustworthy and will talk you through everything - BEFORE you order and pay.

My wife went to one of the chain stores a few months ago and I think they saw her coming a mile away and I feel like she got hosed. I dont recall the specifics, but I do know that we have some vision coverage even with my insurance we still ended up being out of pocket a few benjamins I think. I remember thinking this can't possibly be right and found some simple math errors (in their favor of course) which they did refund - but that was a blatantly obvious error. They talked circles around her when she asked questions that werent so clear cut. this was all after we had paid. Life happened and I never went in there to discuss - though I dont really have the knowledge to dispute their charges even if I did go talk to them. I had forgotten all about it until now.
    Bill Showers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've bought my last pair of $500+ glasses. From now on: https://www.warbyparker.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had perfect vision till fairly late and so I have no good glasses-wearing habits. Consequently, I'm very hard on them. Since I only need them for reading/close work, I'm constantly taking them off and putting them on, dropping them, etc. I've stopped having them coated. They do scratch easier, no matter how high end the coating in my experience. And, the benefit is small in my use (mostly indoors).

I also have learned to buy frames that completely encircle the lens as they are a bit more rugged for me.

A good friend just bought some new transitions and loves them. Indicates the change is now so fast as to be unnoticeable.

YMMV. Like any new set of habits, you are going to learn a lot in the first year.

Nick

“If today is not your day,
    then be happy
    for this day shall never return.
    And if today is your day,
    then be happy now
    for this day shall never return.”
    ― Kamand Kojouri

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you use a computer you want the A/R coating, it make it much nicer. I like the nitanol frames (i have flexons) because they bend and spring back to shape when you do something stupid with them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going to second the Warby Parker recommendation. Sub $100 lens and frame. Being able to try on the frames at home and consult with friends/family is convenient. If you have a very strong correction you'll have to look elsewhere. $495 on a just a frame, unless it has historical significance, is crazy talk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You want polycarbonate lenses, AR coating (if the coating gets scratched it can be re-coated, if the lenses get scratched, you get new lenses), transition lenses outweigh getting clip-ons or 2 pair of glasses, one for inside and one prescription sunglasses, and make sure you get quality frames with a warranty. You know, you can buy a Huffy at Walmart to ride or you can buy a fine bike that fits you perfectly and you will look forward to riding every day. Get good frames that fit you well and you like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had the same pair of Oakley frames for 10 years now. I look after them but they're worn daily and still function perfectly and look good. After this experience my next frames will be Oakley as well.

I tried transition lens and didn't like them - big personal preference on these lens. You look like a douche for wearing sunglasses inside for the first minute until they clear up, plus they don't work inside cars or airplane cockpits that well as the windscreen's UV coating confuses the lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tired of being ripped off by optometrists charging hundreds for plastic frames that are nothing special, I got my last pair at goggles4u.com

They cost $15 and are more comfortable, more stylish, and have lasted longer than my last 4 pairs of $$$$$ glasses from my optometrist. They also have many styles that cost a bit more than $15 that are conventionally "stylish."

Sorry to bag on the local guys, but ATMO the $$$$$$ glasses are a total racket, almost the worst $$/value ratio of any product I can think of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks folks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is winding down... but one more opinion for you.

Transitions are nice. Had them on my last pair, don't now, and I'm going back on the next.

Sparks from an angle grinder will actually melt a little spot on a plastic lens and there are many other ways you can screw them up. by the time you add in coatings, the lenses can add up fast and you're going to be irritated if you mess up the new lenses. Don't rely on your prescription glasses for eye protection- get some cheap fit-overs for that.

IC berlin frames are the best- comfortable and rugged . I'm rough on glasses and I've got a frame that's been through several lenses and nearly 10 years now.

dave
    My name is David Moeny

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Support your local retailer if you can. The initial price from a chain looks nice but my experience is that after sale customer service is poor.

Once you get your basic lenses set up, consider adding the Rx to your riding glasses. I did that this spring and it is so nice to be able to read maps,GPS etc while riding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like my Swissflex glasses. They make the same glasses for little kids, so they stand up well to abuse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$495 for a pair of glasses is not out of the ordinary. If you have a store nearby to make the glasses, that's even better.

Everything is AR coated if you ask for it; I don't own a pair of transitions lenses, since I wear glasses full time (or contacts) and in my experience transitions always looks a little tinted - but maybe I haven't looked at the new stuff.

ici berlin is a well known brand, I'm wearing a 3 year old pair right now while typing this. They look brand new. Make sure they're comfy on you and you'll be OK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have Crizal coating on my glasses. It makes a massive difference when driving at night. (I'm a super-high minus, and have to have mine on whenever I'm awake.)

For options when on the bike you can't go wrong with Bret Hunter here: Sports Optical ::: Sunglasses, Prescriptions Sunglasses and Exclusive 'Direct Lens Technology'

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lasik. i did it 7 years ago and don't even need reading glasses. expensive, but worth it ATMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thx folks. I ended up buying them from the local guys - they took care of me and will continue to do so if ever need be.

Now if I could just get used to everything being croocked/sloped funny and hyper-close/uber-far... lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast