User Tag List

Thread: All-body exercise

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default All-body exercise

This doesn't add much of substance except I have to say that all the years of not doing any all-body exercise was a giant mistake. I am reminded of this because my lower back is pinging and totally unstable today because I carried some flower pots across the back yard and put them in the shed. Granted, they're large and made out of concrete but they couldn't weigh more than 60-70 pounds before I dumped the dirt on next spring's new flower bed. That's not excessive. This is not going to e sustainable when the normal age related deterioration begins. I am an idiot. Don't do as I have done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: All-body exercise

Consider, the burpee. You do not need any equipment just some floor space. There are all kinds of variations, look on YouTube. They can be hard or easy a few reps or some massive amount. I do not recommend trying to one up the Cross Fit folks. For me the wake up call was two years ago. While trying to remove a window ac unit in the fall I could barely do it. I had put it that spring. However I was flying that year on the bicycle maybe my best climbing ever. It was my wake up call, I will loose some climbing ability and be much more functional day to day strength.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hear you man. For many years simply riding my bike a silly amt. of hours was enough. At some point i came to realize what you did and started crosstraining. First, pilates was my drug of choice than running, rope, chopping wood, swimming blah blah blah. Pilates changed The way i sit on a bike and after only two year i quit classes and do what i need at home.

Rowing is hands down the single most engaging full body workout i have ever done but it is quite a commitment to row on thw water or buy a machine....who needs more stuff???

FWIIW we love burpees

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After two back to back years of recovering from major shoulder injuries, I'm generally faster on the bike and in the worst overall shape I've been in for years. When I'm in shape I like to do the Bear Complex. Clean --> Front Squat --> Push Press --> Back Squat --> Push Press --> Repeat. 10 to 15 minutes and your body is worked over. My goal is to get back to that kind of shape in 2015, though I doubt my shoulders will ever allow me to do the bear again. If you have the form, I definitely recommend it for a quick allover workout.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    After two back to back years of recovering from major shoulder injuries, I'm generally faster on the bike and in the worst overall shape I've been in for years. When I'm in shape I like to do the Bear Complex. Clean --> Front Squat --> Push Press --> Back Squat --> Push Press --> Repeat. 10 to 15 minutes and your body is worked over. My goal is to get back to that kind of shape in 2015, though I doubt my shoulders will ever allow me to do the bear again. If you have the form, I definitely recommend it for a quick allover workout.
    Holy Hanna. Talk me thru this. I'm interested since I'm doing all of that BUT SEPARATELY YO!!! I take it you remove considerable weight from the bar? Whimper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Holy Hanna. Talk me thru this. I'm interested since I'm doing all of that BUT SEPARATELY YO!!! I take it you remove considerable weight from the bar? Whimper.
    Nope - limit the weight to what you can push press for 15 minutes. That'll be plenty.
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You definitely take a lot of weight off the bar relative to what you could normally clean or squat, unless you're a monster. And form needs to be dialed. Each rep is basically the 5 moves back to back with with a minimal pause in between. Here's a video I found, though this guy can move weigh more weight than I could.

Depending on the weight and whether I wanted to go lighter or heavier, I would do 3 sets of between 5-10 reps (each rep being the 5 moves). I would do this once a week in the "gym" at work to squeeze in a quick workout at lunch. One other day I went to my regular gym and did more simple movements, mostly deads or squats and loads of core work. I never got that big, but man was I strong. I can probably do a modified version of this now, but the shoulders won't allow the behind the neck push press.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. Helps. Good video, he has pretty d@mn good form.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you can look past the title and the web page. It really is a good book with easy to follow progression. Body weight exercises with almost no equipment needed. Convict Conditioning by Paul Wade.
    Convict Conditioning (paperback) | Dragon Door

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Bear. Oh God... I thought I'd buried those memories deep. Thanks for the flashbacks.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I learned the hard way about keeping your core stable, and after a herniated disc, surgery, and a few years off the bike, my core is more stable than ever. I still have back pain, but it's not due to weakness or instability, only scar tissue and nerve issues.

I don't think you need to be hitting the gym or pumping iron to have a healthy, stable core. In fact my back doc told me I should never touch a dumb bell again. Pilates and/or floor exercises only. I do a routine on the floor almost every day, and a day rarely passes that I don't do some walking bridges and planks with leg raises.

IMO simple floor stuff with body weight only should be enough to help you sit on the bike better, carry flower pots, do dishes, buy beer at Costco, etc without tweaking your lower back. And as an ex swimmer with a large upper body frame, I don't do anything for my shoulders besides pushups, I don't want to carry any more muscle around than I need.

I guess I don't care about being all-around fit, I only care about being fit, comfortable, and injury-free on the bike and in everyday tasks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, every time I say "I ought to sign up for the gym!" I follow it up with "Yeah, when you're doing enough body weight exercises the right way that they don't do anything any more." I doubt that day will ever happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I built a pull-up bar in my basement and use bands for some high-rep lifting, but most everything I do is bodyweight. Lots of pushups, planks, stretches, etc.

I feel good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rowing is hands down the single most engaging full body workout i have ever done but it is quite a commitment to row on thw water or buy a machine....who needs more stuff???
    Aw c'mon, you can get one of these for the price of a decent wheelset!
    Which reminds me, I need to order a new tank for mine.
    Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vsalon-worthy. There is one at the boat club (said with pinky raised) and yeah it's pretty slick but you can't beat the C2. Queen is hooked on it now and is vowing to race Crash-B this winter. guess that means I need to go with her and put in a 2k for fun and thrills.

I'm working on the olympic lifts guys, almost "there" not quite ready for 15 mins. of not letting weights touch the floor but it is a heck of a challenge.

TOTALLY agree that body weight workouts, floor pilates etc. are insanely good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
    Aw c'mon, you can get one of these for the price of a decent wheelset!
    Which reminds me, I need to order a new tank for mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd love a concept 2 model d

(unfortunately, I'd have to pay for the labral tear repair in my shoulder first. I'm thinking that's a move for my mid-50s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've using Kettle bells for a long time, partial getups to help repair shoulder damage and work the abs 5 days a week. Couple days a week I'll throw in some swings. 5x5 ladders with a 36 pound kettle bell and I just moved up to the 44pounder, 3x5's right now but I'll slowly move up till I can do the 5x5's. Done correctly it's one the best exercises I've ever done, legs, abs, chest, shoulders and cardio all in one. Respect the bell though, if you need to drop it get your feet out of the way. ;>)
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.