Thread: Flu Season 2014-15 is here!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Flu Season 2014-15 is here!

Quote Originally Posted by astaft View Post
    Here is the 2009 pandemic H1N1 data, the curve is very different than typical seasonal mortality.

Attachment 73784
    How many of those folks who died got vaccinated. There are studies that show vaccinations led to increased risk of H1N1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just so I don't get accused of cherry picking data:

On February 10, 2014, the USS Ardent, a U.S. Navy minesweeper, was moored in San Diego, California, while conducting training. Over the course of 3 days, 25 of 102 crew members sought medical care because of influenza-like illness (ILI). Nasal swab specimens were collected from each patient, and initial rapid influenza testing indicated 16 cases of influenza A. The HA gene sequence of an outbreak isolate was 99% identical to strains circulating during the 2013–14 influenza season and antigenically similar to the H3N2 component of the 2013–14 influenza vaccine. At the time of the outbreak, 99% of the crew had received influenza vaccine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by classtimesailer View Post
    How many of those folks who died got vaccinated. There are studies that show vaccinations led to increased risk of H1N1.
    The vaccine wasn't available until the pandemic was almost over. The vaccine was available in early Nov 2009 after the pandemic was almost done.

ili-summary-small.gif

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I AM a scientist and I work on vaccines as part of my job--right now I'm working on a pneumococcal vaccine and a new meningococcal vaccine.

Even if you never get a flu shot again, get one this year. I was just at a meeting with a physician who acts as the director of Ebola response at a major NYC hospital. Although the meeting was not related to Ebola, we got to chatting and he noted that the flu mimics the early signs and symptoms of Ebola. So--depending on how bad things get or how paranoid your local health authority becomes, you could walk into the doctor with the flu and end up in quarantine until tests come back negative.

It hasn't come to that yet but it could. Plus there are many, many other good reasons to get vaccinated that have already been enumerated here. Despite the fact that I work on vaccines, I've never gotten a flu shot before...I'm getting one on Friday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's really sensible. Does it matter where one goes for a flu shot?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rfj1862 View Post
    I AM a scientist and I work on vaccines as part of my job--right now I'm working on a pneumococcal vaccine and a new meningococcal vaccine.

Even if you never get a flu shot again, get one this year. I was just at a meeting with a physician who acts as the director of Ebola response at a major NYC hospital. Although the meeting was not related to Ebola, we got to chatting and he noted that the flu mimics the early signs and symptoms of Ebola. So--depending on how bad things get or how paranoid your local health authority becomes, you could walk into the doctor with the flu and end up in quarantine until tests come back negative.

It hasn't come to that yet but it could. Plus there are many, many other good reasons to get vaccinated that have already been enumerated here. Despite the fact that I work on vaccines, I've never gotten a flu shot before...I'm getting one on Friday.
    RFJ, can we chat about the meningococcal vaccine privately? I just tried sending you a pm but your inbox is full.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure, you can find my contact information on my blog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't matter where you go.

Quote Originally Posted by lukasz View Post
    That's really sensible. Does it matter where one goes for a flu shot?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is worth re-hashing. Dear 2018 Flu season victims and soon to be, stay home.

Two weeks ago I had a client tell me she is just getting over the flu...we were well into her massage. I got sick and missed a week of work and yeah that's why your NFS shipment was late, sorry don't blame me.

Just turned away another client who arrived at my house with a "mild fever" and "it is probably ok". No, no it is not ok to share cooties.

Wash your hands, avoid crowds and man PLEASE if you are sick just stay home.

xxooo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    ”...I got sick and missed a week of work and yeah that's why your NFS shipment was late...”
    In other news, Too Tall is now leaner than ever and is ready for summer swimsuit season already.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife brought it home to me. I told her next time she comes home sick I'm going to stay at a hotel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the scariest flu season I can remember. I've had several friends on both the east and west coast tell me they got so sick they had to see a Dr, people that had never done that before. My wife and I both got our usual flu shots and are washing our hands a lot, and really trying to be careful whom we're around. So my message is: be careful out there everyone, take precautions, this flu really kills people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wash your hands often and

KEEP YOUR HANDS AWAY FROM YOUR FACE !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got my flu shot, got the flu anyways, had it thoroughly kick my butt before Christmas. Its no joke this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I work for a company that does all the construction at a 850 bed hospital. They have been "Code Purple", out of beds, for a week. Lots of flu cases. Even though I use sanitizer all day I know my days are numbered as I am working in three areas and walk the corridors all day. Offer up tissue to the gods for me.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am of the opinion that your immune system needs to be worked to keep working. Eat a healthy diet, get lots of sleep, wash your hands when you have been around sick people and don't touch your face - that about all I do. Between the wife and kids someone gets the fly every year. It's been about 10 years for me though.

No flu shot for me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123