Thread: Gloves & Shoe Covers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gloves & Shoe Covers

Australia please turn your head.

In most parts of the USA and northern Europe we are into cool temps.

This is my pick for shoe covers from last year. Pearlizumi has one heck of a good system for shoe covers. These are not weather proof and not ment to be they are windproof wraps that open wide to fit onto your shoe. "Pro Softshell"

Quick pick for gloves are De Feet Wool cycling gloves. There are alot of great gloves and these are the most used. If it gets really cold I use a ski overshell:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Gloves & Shoe Covers

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Australia please turn your head. In most parts of the USA and northern Europe we are into cool temps.
    And after suffering through 6 months of watching you post photos full of sunshine I only have one thing to say.
    hqdefault.jpg

In all seriousness the woollen De Feet stuff is awesome - I use both the armwarmers and gloves. My biggest learning from cooler temp riding is to use a scarf - these Icebreaker ones come in two different weights and really make a big difference to my winter happiness.
    large.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TT(squared) hey you deserve the sunshine.

GREAT call on the icebreaker goods. I'm currently working a minor addiction to their sports tees and button shirts.

Thanks alot bastid ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For years and years I used a pair of Nalini (not Nagini) overshoes and they were great. Must have had them more than ten years. They finally had to be put down as they were really starting to fall apart but I did it with regret. They were simple and thin neoprene but worked great into the 20s. My feet are relatively tolerant of cool temps as long as the rides aren't 3 or 4 hours in the 20s.

I tried some Gore and love everything from Gore but not the overshoes. They never fit nicely and were loose even though they were the right size theoretically. Sold them after a few rides. Tried some Castelli. They didn't make it to the first ride as the zipper burst while putting them on. Junk. Returned them.

Then I bought Assos shoe covers for a king's ransom. They seem to be nice though the zipper balked last winter once. I need some zipper lube or wax. For what they cost that shouldn't be an issue. Got the zipper working again but it has me concerned for long term durability. But the performance is great. They are snug and look good, the way they should be and they work well for me deep into the 30s.

As for gloves, the best ones I've ever had (and still have) are from Spenco and are about 8 years old. Warm into the 30s as well.

Buy nice or buy twice, that's what I've learned with most cycling clothing.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

De Feet also make a really nice wool undershirt - it's a proper cyclist cut with a short-front and slightly longer tail, and it fits snug. Miles better than the Icebreaker under shirts imo. I've got a few of them in rotation - I'll wear them to work one day, then on the bike the following morning before being hiffed into the wash.
    UnD Wool Tee shirt
    865313.jpg

I often wince at the price of winter clothing but the stuff lasts for years. I've still got a 10 year old pair of Specialized neoprene overshoes, some nice warm tights, caps, scarves etc. On a dollar-per-ride basis I'd say I'm doing pretty good.

Anyway - off for a ride to work on my tan. Suckers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another DeFeet fan here. I use their entire line of over/under wear. Gloves, knee and arm warmers in regular and wool. Base layers in ultralight summer weight to the winter wool Tristan posted. And their shoe covers for winter trips and the rare cold day at home. I haven't found anything that compares, especially for the price. I'm also a big fan of neck coverage. I'll have to give that Icebreaker above a shot. I have a Smartwool wool neck gaiter that's been great and for days when I just need a little wind protection or when I know the temps will rise and I want to avoid overheating, I use a light cotton Buff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

26C forecasted today. I will check this thread back in one month.

DeFeet is good stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did the neoprene shoe covers last year. Solution wasn't optimal on the coldest of days. This year I'm trying Lake MXZ303's. I'm not quite used to the cycling with the shoe going past the ankle but they feel warm and snug.

Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It can be snowing and -2ºc and I'll be in a thin jacket and a thin baselayer, and 3/4 tights. But My ahands and feet get cold at +5ºc and below that they just freeze.
    For my feet, no overshoe can help :-(
    I've used those last winter, and they work well!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mycoal-foot-...ds=toe+warmers
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post
    It can be snowing and -2ºc and I'll be in a thin jacket and a thin baselayer, and 3/4 tights. But My ahands and feet get cold at +5ºc and below that they just freeze.
    For my feet, no overshoe can help :-(
    You're getting cold hands and feet because you're under-dressed. If the blood is cold by the time it gets to your feet then you'll get cold feet - it doesn't matter what booties you put on they won't warm up cold blood. Wear an extra layer and use some decent tights or leg warmers...your blood will be warm when it gets to the extremities.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm afraid it looks like is more related to somewhat-low blood pressure. I do get cold feet even at home, or in bed under a thick duvet and a warm pajama

On the bike it gets worse, because the feet don't move much, and all the blood is elsewhere

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm tall and skinny and I get cold extremities so trust me I understand. Just think it through - if the blood is cold when it gets to your feet then you need an external heatsource like your chemical packs to warm it up. The best way to have warm feet is to ensure warm blood gets to them - this means a very warm core and minimizing heat loss through the crotch (winter tights rather than summer shorts) and legs (again, tights rather than knee-warmers)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gotta agree with tristan on this one. i have friends that love to do the summer team kit plus leg warmers deal in order to look PRO but they complain of freezing feet once it hits 40, regardless of what they use for their feet. i'm good down to 20F or so with legit winter tights. merino base layer (or two) and core wind-blocking is also essential.

shoe covers: i've had good luck with the rapha neoprene overshoes over summer shoes down to about 40F. after that, i wear winter shoes (mavic) with slipstream covers for visibility.
    gloves: the wool defeet gloves are indeed rad. i'll wear them from 45-55F. for colder temps, i paired them with the izumi softshell lobsters and that got me through a couple winters, sometimes with a chemical warmer when it dipped towards the low 20's. last winter i tried a different approach: i used the castelli diluvio for 35-45, especially if wetness was expected. below that, i used the castelli estremo. i was shocked with that glove. could easily go down into the low 20's with no glove underneath it, no warmers; just the glove. it was awesome. great dexterity, grip, feel, and very warm. highly recommended. makes me want to try their shoe cover of the same name...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No idea why I am in here. Central Florida temp is a toasty 88*F at the moment. I will...eventually...have to break out some heavier gear. I turn to Ibex wool. Love their stuff. Wool base, wool arm and wool leg warmers. Works for me. I also have some wool Campagnolo full finger gloves. Love them.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.

- John Muir

The name is Guy Fazzio

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    The best way to have warm feet is to ensure warm blood gets to them - this means a very warm core and minimizing heat loss through the crotch (winter tights rather than summer shorts) and legs (again, tights rather than knee-warmers)
    That all sounds great, and is perfectly logical, but I'm with Andrea...

I get cold hands and feet no matter what. I can be absolutely roasting hot and yet my feet are freezing. I've been out there with the thick wool knee high defeets (love these, BTW), thermal knickers, with heavywieght tights over top, a base layer, a LS jersey and a jacket. not to mention hat, ski gloves, and winter shoes with overshoes. If the temps are below freezing, I'm guaranteed to have cold feet on the bike.

Also, I'm a big fan of any wool products from Defeet and will use the socks year round.
    Bill Showers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back to TT's OP questions shoe covers and gloves; I'm using Castelli Dilluvio shoe covers when it's really wet and/or cold. Primarily wearing them over winter shoes when it's below freezing. I know others have complained about Castelli booties. I think zippers on recent versions are beefed up, and of course, like all Castelli buy them several sizes bigger. They kept my feet dry in completely slushy conditions last winter. They extend the winter shoes down another 10 - 15 deg F. I use chemical warmers liberally for rides over 60 minutes below 40F.

I own at least 10 pairs of cool/cold weather gloves and liners that get mixed and matched. Like Bill and Andrea, no matter how I dress my core, my hands and feet will eventually get cold. I love Icebreaker stuff. I find the open weave gloves like the DeFeet don't work for me - I've got to have better windbreak than that,

I've got some very lightweight Icebreaker Oasis Merino Glove Liners that go under Mavic Inferno's (35-40F) or Pearl Izumi Lobsters (20-35F) depending on the temps. If I get too warm (ha!) I can always ditch the liners and use the gloves alone, which is nice if the tailwind finally comes around.

Also the liners work with the phone's touch screen without risking frostbite quite so quickly.

Nick

“If today is not your day,
    then be happy
    for this day shall never return.
    And if today is your day,
    then be happy now
    for this day shall never return.”
    ― Kamand Kojouri

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assos 851 overshoes and two pairs of Defeet gloves usually get me down to freezing.

The Defeets are nice in that they actually breathe a bit, so your hands don't become a sweaty, clammy mess. I have a pair of Assos winter gloves that are great until the sweat builds up. Keeps you warm just fine until the coffee stop, then you're left with cold, wet gloves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for gloves down to about 7C I wear the Defeet wool, below that I put a pair of gore mistral on top of them. These 2 layers together work well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    Assos 851 overshoes and two pairs of Defeet gloves usually get me down to freezing.

The Defeets are nice in that they actually breathe a bit, so your hands don't become a sweaty, clammy mess. I have a pair of Assos winter gloves that are great until the sweat builds up. Keeps you warm just fine until the coffee stop, then you're left with cold, wet gloves.
    You see, I sweat buckets from forehead and shoulders/back; but not from hands or feet: they just get frozen

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife has a set of Endura overshoes that she likes a lot. To the hand, they feel pretty burly. I'd like to try a set but the LBS never has my giant size in stock when I'm there. l've got a set of Pearl's that look similar to the OP. They're great on the mild winter days, but they're not enough for me when it gets real cold. I have a few other overshoes that aren't worth mentioning as each have significant shortcomings.

Cross Country Ski gloves work well on a bike, Toko in particular have been great.
    Bill Showers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast