Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gloves & Shoe Covers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Gloves & Shoe Covers

+1 on the Castelli Estremo gloves. I've been pretty disappointed with most of my Castelli purchases but not that one. Those gloves have me riding down into the low teens (fahrenheit) without issue. I tried a lot of gloves to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Key is to not cut off circulation, better less layers than restricting blood flow by wedging socks into too tight boots.
    Lobster gloves for hand - I use down tube shifters in the winter so I could use mittens as well...

wet is not a big problem here, since we have snow from november to april
    just cold, snow and ice

5 to 10C liners, wool socks
    5 to - 5C liners, wool socks , endura neopren overshoes
    -5 to -10C liners, wools socks, chemical warmers, endura neopren overshoes
    -10 to -20C liners, wool socks, chemical warmers, lake winterboots
    or I just ride in Sorels and flat pedals
    or I go nordic skiing

The endura overshoes are so good, that the difference to the Lakes is not that big

Buy Endura Neoprene Road Overshoes Online at Ribble Cycles
    get the silver ones, warmer than black
    better than Assos, Castelli, PIs or anything else I have tried

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post
    You see, I sweat buckets from forehead and shoulders/back; but not from hands or feet: they just get frozen
    Just shows the variation for all of us in the cold. Hands and feet for me sweat something fierce. I can keep 'em warm, but its as much about keeping 'em from getting clammy so the cold doesn't set in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CXinNH View Post
    5 to 10C liners, wool socks
    5 to - 5C liners, wool socks , endura neopren overshoes
    -5 to -10C liners, wools socks, chemical warmers, endura neopren overshoes
    -10 to -20C liners, wool socks, chemical warmers, lake winterboots
    or I just ride in Sorels and flat pedals
    or I go nordic skiing
    this thread inspired me to do a search for a thread on winter tights, and i found one from 2011 that you posted in, seems youve been listing your equipment by temperature for a long time haha:
    Quote Originally Posted by CXinNH View Post
    above 30F : SP elite / amfib
    15 - 30 F : craft arctic guard bottom + craft storm
    -10 - 20F : craft arctic guard bottom + wool bottom + craft strom
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
    Give up cycling, keep riding the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got a pair of the Defeet Duragloves and wore them yesterday on the first cold day of riding. Nice gloves. They seem to run big. Or rather, my hands are long fingered but thin, so the finger length fits but the volume is too high. The extra volume did allow wearing my fingerless cycling gloves underneath the Defeets, which is a little dorky but they have pads and the Defeets don't. I will probably order mediums to wear both by themselves or as a liner for a pair of Gore Mistral gloves I really like. That will make a nice combo I think - Mistral only for cool weather, Defeet a bit cooler, Mistral + Defeet for cold.

The Mistral gloves are sort of the perfect in between weather gloves. And mine have lasted 4 years, though now they have a hole in one thumb (shifter lever wear spot) and the shiny coating on the palm pads is peeling. Still usable though.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I got a pair of the Defeet Duragloves and wore them yesterday on the first cold day of riding. Nice gloves. They seem to run big. Or rather, my hands are long fingered but thin, so the finger length fits but the volume is too high. The extra volume did allow wearing my fingerless cycling gloves underneath the Defeets, which is a little dorky but they have pads and the Defeets don't. I will probably order mediums to wear both by themselves or as a liner for a pair of Gore Mistral gloves I really like. That will make a nice combo I think - Mistral only for cool weather, Defeet a bit cooler, Mistral + Defeet for cold.

The Mistral gloves are sort of the perfect in between weather gloves. And mine have lasted 4 years, though now they have a hole in one thumb (shifter lever wear spot) and the shiny coating on the palm pads is peeling. Still usable though.
    This is exactly the combo I use as well, with only a slight difference, when I know that I am going to wear the mistral the entire ride I substitute the defeet inner with smartwool innergloves (I have two different weight of smartwool inners).

I found the mistral + smartwool warmer than any other much beefier gloves I tried, it works well down to -5C or so.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12