I purchased a Henry Cuir leather shoulder bag for my wife a few years ago.

The bag itself is arguably a nice handmade piece, but the reason for the post is to share a repair that was done locally.

My wife uses the bag almost daily - The linen liner literally dissolved as it rubbed against the much stronger leather - predictable, although Cuir bags typically don't have a liner, so I guess they didn't know.

The original liner had a zippered pocket, which my wife wanted to preserve or have reconstructed.

After much searching, I found a local guy in Waban - one of the villages of Newton in the Boston burbs - who specializes in leather repair.

He completely reconstructed the lining from suede calfskin - better than new - and duplicated the zippered compartment.

He also casually asked me what type of phone my wife uses and suggested the addition of a fitted phone pocket - no extra charge.

My wife knew I was having the bag repaired, but the phone pouch was a surprise - She was very pleased.

For locals, the shop was the Waban Shoe Repairing Company - a few doors down from Waban Kitchen (very good, BTW) and around the block from Barry's Deli. Visiting is like stepping in to an old Italian workshop.