User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Dog attack. What would you do now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dog attack. What would you do now?

During a ride this week I was attacked by two loose, very large German Shepard dogs.They made full contact with me, knocking me and my bike to the ground at speed. I was not bitten, but only because I used the bike as a barrier between them and me.They continued to attempt their attack while I got up yelling for help.No one was around and I slowly walked backwards down the road several hundred feet while they barked, growled and drooled inches from me. Me…road rash on hip, arm leg and shoulder. Haematoma, on hip.Bike… outer edge of Campagnolo Super Record 11 rear derailleur ground flat.Campagnolo rear shifter, brake lever scraped.Ding in the frames carbon fiber top tube.Edge of pedal scraped.Riped shorts and jersey.I alerted the proper authorities.The owners were located and later ticketed for having unregistered dogs and allowing them to roam creating a public health hazard. That’s it. I have not been contacted by them.So… what would you do now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dog attack. What would you do now?

Shit...I'd have laced a few hot dogs with rat poison and driven past with a dog whistle...Fuck that.

Now that cops are involved you'd be a suspect. Small claims court?
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lawyer may be able to help recover your actual loss (replacing damaged components). In the future, my technique is to get off the saddle as the dog approaches and swerve at it as it gets close. This causes most dogs to break off the attack because it screws up the geometry of their approach and puts them on the defensive. This technique has worked great for decades until I encountered a dog on our Tuesday night ride that runs out at us and plants it's feet at the edge of the road while it barks at us. Swerving at it has no effect since the dog isn't moving so this technique doesn't affect the dog. On the positive side, when the dog plants it's feet, it's not a threat so I'm not concerned that it defeats my counterattack.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was knocked over (not my bad riding) by a loose dog, broke my elbow, had major surgery, and discovered that in NY State there is nothing you can do about that. The dog would have to have been reported earlier and the dog owner has no liability. Somehow owning a dog means having no responsibility for what it does. My lawyer has told me that if we sue we'll likely have no chance (and I've asked other lawyers). Since the dog has now been reported I could ride by again and if it behaved the same way I could file suit on the basis of that incident but with no reference to the accident that has forever changed my life. Good luck, maybe the law is different where you live.
    Qui plume a, guerre a. Ce monde est un vaste temple dédié à la discorde.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman View Post
    So… what would you do now?
    Forgive, Forget and find another route.

Without being bitten and regardless of the reality of how it happened, you have no chance of holding the owners responsible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, that's terrible. I was regularly chased by two large German Shepards in Highs school.. holy cow was I terrified. The owner was an older lady who seemed to think it was okay. I seriously thought about riding the trails I was on with my old lacrosse stick shaft taped to my top tube so I could bend it over their thick skulls. If I were you I'd sue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

File a police report and ask that their homeowners insurance reimburse you for the bike damages and the medical injuries. Most homeowner policies are "one and done" regarding animal attacks, so after your incident, these people would be uninsured when it comes to the dogs...a nice wake up call.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear it man. Not much you could have done in Florida either. My last crash was caused by a dog on a retractible leash when the owner wasn't paying attention. Owner was "cited" but didn't technically break the law and I had no real claim. So now I live with the pain of a separated shoulder and some scars and just do my best to avoid dogs when I can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The chance here is to train the owners. Request their homeowner's insurance info. Photograph all the damage, make an itemized list, and request reimbursement.

Then forgive, but don't forget.

Tee Aitch.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with earl gray's assessment of your chances but I do like thollandpe's thought on training the owners. So 2 likes.

Sorry this happened to you. My blame bounces off poorly trained dogs onto the two-legged twits who shouldn't have them.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am pretty sure the owners are liable for damage caused by a 'at large" animal. The one that ran into the side of my old 68 Dart and dented my quarter panel cost them , or their HO insurance $700.00 dollars. The lady was pretty upset about her dog, with a possible broken leg, and then the bad news on top of it that I expected my car to be fixed. I can see now possible way in small claims or civil court that a dog breaking multiple ordinances including a at large aggressive , vicious animal would not be held responsible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds odd to say, but lawyers are your friends here. Don't even try to navigate this on your own, and don't take opinions here as fact for your area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd take my next ride with a .357 in my jersey pocket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    File a police report and ask that their homeowners insurance reimburse you for the bike damages and the medical injuries. Most homeowner policies are "one and done" regarding animal attacks, so after your incident, these people would be uninsured when it comes to the dogs...a nice wake up call.
    Do this. They'll feel it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post
    It sounds odd to say, but lawyers are your friends here. Don't even try to navigate this on your own, and don't take opinions here as fact for your area.
    ^^This is the only advice I'd take from the thread.

Get well.

It's a sensitive and emotional topic. Responsibility lies with the owners. If my German Shepherd knocked you off your bike, I'd be paying for the repairs and sending you a nice bottle with a letter of apology. Then again, my dog is well behaved and in sight, and is a fan of people on bikes.
    Geoff used to race around on a Brodie Sovereign
    Geoff Morgan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Another vote for getting their homeowner's insurance information. Many homeowner's policies prohibit certain types of dogs and sometimes German Sheppard's are on the list. When I lived in the PNW, there was a collie/sheppard mix in my neighborhood that would come after me on every ride. I called animal control and the owners were fined twice and still didn't do anything. I just called each time the dog came out and eventually they invested in an invisible fence. Around here, there are dogs on most routes but they are pets that run to the edge of the road and bark.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have a case in some states. You would have one in Oregon. I'd consult with an attorney and if your state supports it make a claim.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This same scenario occurred with me. I was injured and my bicycle was damaged. I retained an attorney, sued the owner, and won. I live in Massachusetts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup. Ask your local bike advocacy group for the name of a bike lawyer. I mean it's not cool to get attacked. Not cool at all.

About 10 years ago, some idiot took her dog who was "crazy jumpy around wheels" for a walk on the very busy local trail - on a bridge with walls. As he sank his canines into my calf and held on for dear life, she told me, "but he's a nice dog." She didn't even say sorry. After the ride in the fire truck, I lawyered up for the first time in my life and let her insurance pay for my Pegoretti.

Didn't have to deal with her again after that.
    Joe Platzner
    Bellevue, WA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JLP View Post
    Yup. Ask your local bike advocacy group for the name of a bike lawyer.
    In Connecticut- Donovan and Morello. I stopped in for an initial consultation with them years ago when I was struck by a car. Friendly; they're cyclists and they understand cycling.

John D'Elia. Guy's ridden for decades (see his bio). I've ridden with him a few times; patronizes my local shop. Just bought a titanium Seven-but don't let that reflect on his lawyering skills .

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast