Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tech Q

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tech Q

Every pic I try to attach to the forum taken on my cell (Galaxy S5) is always rotated wrong. I've tried just about everything I can think of but can't get them to attach in the correct orientation - any thoughts?
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Tech Q

I'm not going to be of any help but I had a similar issue with jpegs from my camera a while back - if I attached the native IMG jpg straight off the card it would sometimes be rotated. If I opened in Photoshop and simply resaved as jpg it would show up fine. Sometimes does this in Blogger as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The EXIF data is either wrong, different than expected, or not getting uploaded. Upload a bad pic here from your phone and we can see what actually makes it up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here ya go:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My brother-in-law has this phone. He says that at least on his phone the rotate is only for viewing on the phone. By that I think he means that rotating the file is not any different than zooming the file. You aren't actually editing the orientation just changing the viewing position. He says he has a different photo gallery app for his phone that does the editing. Unfortunately I don't remember the name.

Edit: I see Aviary is available for Android. That's a pretty good editor in iOS, so it might also work well in Android. You can ignore all the in-app invitations to buy different presets and use the standard editing tools.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm actually sending the pics to my computer, getting the rotation right, saving them then uploading...where the rotation goes wonky - it's not even back to the same rotation the phone took them in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jason,

These photos have *no* EXIF data attached. Now, that's not necessarily a bad thing... when you are in spook-ville like I am EXIF data tends to leak an unbelievable amount of persona data. However, it can also hold the orientation for photos, which is what is happening here. Photos can be rotated "destructively" (physically remap pixel locations) or the display rotation can be done in the metadata. What I think is happening is that your phone is taking the picture, and then tags the photo orientation using data from the onboard accelerometer. You download the photo, and the rotation is bad (if I follow you) because your photo editor can't read the EXIF data. You rotate the thing, but something is still going wrong with the metadata, so while it looks right on your screen, it isn't getting moved up here. Note--I probably have some details wrong. What's your OS and photo editor? (i.e. I don't think this is about your phone...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The weird thing is the orientation is correct all the way through until vSalon gets ahold of it. The phone/camera is vertical, it emails/downloads fine, I opened it in windows and rotated it 4 times and saved it for posterity. Its all good till it attaches to the forum then it rotates itself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There have only been a couple of times that I uploaded photos from the photo stream file on my laptop (iPhone photos that automatically go to the laptop hard drive via the cloud). Those were always rotated. If I upload straight from my iPhone using the forum runner app, I've no problems.

I have nothing technical to offer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Musgrave View Post
    The weird thing is the orientation is correct all the way through until vSalon gets ahold of it. The phone/camera is vertical, it emails/downloads fine, I opened it in windows and rotated it 4 times and saved it for posterity. Its all good till it attaches to the forum then it rotates itself.
    Then it sounds like your browser or vSalon is stripping the data. Like I mentioned, this is likely a feature, not a bug. But it does make for a pain in the butt as you have to strip, turn and then upload if it won't read put the EXIF data up.

I'm going to test something here.

camera.jpg

Let's see how this turned out...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok-- It's vSalon that is stripping the EXIF data. One solution is to use a program that will save the pixels in the right place after performing the rotation, rather than just reading or marking a tab. GIMP does this. Not sure what else is out there and easy. The other solution is to upload elsewhere and link to the image file.

And again, I think this is a feature. You can inadvertently upload all kinds of stuff, like GPS coordinates and so on, if you aren't paying attention, or someone isn't stripping it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok thx for your help

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying to upload and embed photos from flickr but consistently get invalid file messages. . .any hints on how to post photos from flickr? I've tried all the apparent options including Link, HTML and BBCode but no go. . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You need the static link. Flickr uses a ton of scripting, but you should be able to somewhere find a link directly just to the image. It will either say for embedding or static.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by one2velo View Post
    Trying to upload and embed photos from flickr but consistently get invalid file messages. . .any hints on how to post photos from flickr? I've tried all the apparent options including Link, HTML and BBCode but no go. . .
    BBCode should do the trick. That's what I use without issue. What steps are you following?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

--Quick Reply
    --Insert Image
    --From URL
    --Copy and paste the entire BBCode string
    --Retrieve remote file and reference locally (tried this both checked and unchecked)

all result in error:Invalid file

Perhaps I need to truncate the BBCode string? What bits should I retain and which do I cut?

Thanks---

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one2velo -->> This is a good place to start. GREAT place to post solutions. http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum...pen-13405.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks...but I'm trying to enable links to flickr instead of merely uploading the entire image file from my laptop. I know there's an upload limit that I'll potentially reach and I would also like to have them display a bit larger than I've been able to thus far. I like to think that this isn't a result of using Firefox on a Mac. . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by one2velo View Post
    --Quick Reply
    --Insert Image
    --From URL
    --Copy and paste the entire BBCode string
    --Retrieve remote file and reference locally (tried this both checked and unchecked)

all result in error:Invalid file

Perhaps I need to truncate the BBCode string? What bits should I retain and which do I cut?

Thanks---
    Flickr I find particularly tricky as I don't spend much time on the site and the last reformat made it (seemingly) more confusing to me to get to a copyable attachment link.

You will need to get to the actual jpg by doing this:

click on desired photo to enlarge
    click on download menu icon
    select "View all Sizes"
    select the preferred width if available (I usually keep mine in the 1000 - 1200px wide range)
    then click on that image and HOLD ^ DRAG it up to your URL bar to get the "farmstaticflickr.....jpg" link.

Your IMG links must end in .jpg (or .gif, etc) to show up.

Might be an easier way but I'm too impatient to find it. This way's always worked the few times I've linked Flickr imagery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Found the bit I had to extract from the long string in the HTML option. More work than it should be but it's a step in the right direction.
    Thanks all./

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast