User Tag List

Thread: Beard Soap and Gooey Stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Beard Soap and Gooey Stuff

My wife staged an intervention with ultimatum included re: my beard/goatee/snack bar I have on my face. The end result was that I received two tins in the mail - one is called Mr. Natty Face Forest Soap and the other is called Beardman Beard Balm. I also got a small comb that says "Kent Sawcut 81T" on it. Strangely it all works. I am no longer an un-exfoliated beard mess, though I miss the occasional surprise of discovering a missing potato chip. Seems like this beard hygiene thing has really taken off though. Some of these websites have more products for beards than my wife has for her cuticles. Amazing. I feel like I have emerged from a very dark cave.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Beard Soap and Gooey Stuff

If someone complains that your beard is not soft enough, your beard is too short.

Soap? Lever 2000. Occasionally, if I notice that it's getting dry (mostly during the winter) I apply some hipster beard cream and really work it into the follicles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This Lever 2000 - does it come in a tin? I really like the tin. Except for some reason now I can't get the piece of fancy soap out of it. So I just wash with the soap in the tin. The beard balm stuff is more like a wax than a cream. Makes my beard semi-water proof. Which is good in the rain, but I am not sure good for what. Bees?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just be warned, styling your beard is a slippery slope. Stay rugged my friend.

article-2697596-1FBAE3B400000578-608_634x809.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well ^that^ would be good for bees for sure.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    The beard balm stuff is more like a wax than a cream.
    That's because it is wax. Most of these are essentially a combination of oils, beeswax, lanolin and "manish" scents. It's basically shoe polish for your face- it even comes in a tin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel mannish when I put it on. I think shoe polish is cheaper though, so I may switch to that.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a pretty decent beard going, but have dry skin and the subsequent nasty beard dandruff. A $5.00 bottle of vitamin e oil from CVS is working wonders. Same stuff as in the fancy beard oil, but no scents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giving this a go- $3 at the grocery store. Good enough for my pappy, good enough for me. They have a beeswax varient I may give a go, but it's a little more heavily perfumed. This is essentially lanolin infused petroleum jelly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have to coddle your beard, then I submit that your beard ain't worth keeping.

Does a real man get manicures and nail polish? No.

Does a real man get "bikini waxes?" No. (Unless you've made a star turn in the "Middle Patent" thread, in which case your studliness factor allows you to wax any part of your body you desire.)

Does a real man do anything to his beard other than a soaping and rinse when he showers, and an occasional trim? Heck no!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    If you have to coddle your beard, then I submit that your beard ain't worth keeping.

Does a real man get "bikini waxes?" No. (Unless you've made a star turn in the "Middle Patent" thread, in which case your studliness factor allows you to wax any part of your body you desire.)

Does a real man do anything to his beard other than a soaping and rinse when he showers, and an occasional trim? Heck no!
    I approve of this message.

...although I could use something right about now, on Day 10 of the beard coming in.

GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Burt's Bees Hand Salve or various Badger Balm's. I've never bothered to buy a beard specific balm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post

I found this thread looking for a rec on a beard oil as my barber only had super expensive stuff.
    But I got to say to the above that "a real man" does what makes him comfortable and happy with out worrying if it's manly.

I mean come on. I shave my legs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by popandmod View Post
    But I got to say to the above that "a real man" does what makes him comfortable and happy with out worrying if it's manly.
    Dude, it was a joke.

Feel free to put whatever emollients (or other products) you wish on any body part you desire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to say the beard soap above didn't really do much for me, but the Beardman Beard Balm is actually great stuff. The smell has a hint of motor oil, so I feel pretty manly with it on. For soap I use Cetaphil Excema Calming, not because I have excema but because the stuff cleans but doesn't strip all the oil off the skin. The combo means I can drool constantly whenever I ride and not worry about chapping or irritating the skin underneath my beard while riding in the winter. And that's a relief! Me and Tony Martin. We're droolers.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Used the Mad Alchemy shave soap this morning and am pretty impressed. It didn't have the super strong (and slightly tar-y) aroma of many pine-inflected soaps, it made a great lather and seems to have contributed to suitable winter moisturisation. Do recommend.
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just said screw it and cut mine off. This winter's goatee experiment was going from neatly trimmed to ratty in about two weeks. Even with electric clippers, that is more maintenance than I want to spend on it given i only need to shave about twice a week anyway. The cause was not helped by how much gray has slipped in. My SO says i look about 10 years younger without it. A touch of vanity I hadn't anticipated... So be it.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap. I think e-Richie recommended it. I use that stuff on everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rmplum View Post
    Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap. I think e-Richie recommended it. I use that stuff on everything.
    This used to be my go to soap until found Lightfoot's pine soap. I get stinky in summer and this keeps me smelling fresh the longest.

Robot Check
    Cottage cheese for dinner, Greek yogurt for dessert, eat that everyday an' it will make your butt hurt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    The cause was not helped by how much gray has slipped in. My SO says i look about 10 years younger without it. A touch of vanity I hadn't anticipated... So be it.
    Mine is now completely white, but even before that I looked younger without it. But even so, I prefer the bearded look, so I've kept mine for the last 25 years or so.