User Tag List

Thread: Bikepacking Bags

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bikepacking Bags

Here are a set of bags that I designed this winter (leaning heavily on existing designs) and finished production of recently. I used thin card stock to find the shape and dimensions. From there cutting templates and final assembly.

The seat bag can hold a tent, sleeping pad and some warm clothes and the rolltop makes it flexible for different sized loads. It stays fairly still while riding but on heavy cornering can list a bit from side to side. I think that a third retention point might be necessary.

The frame bag has two openings at different heights with a removable and padded baffle that can turn it into two compartments. It is large enough for a 48oz Nalgene, some bike tools and extra food. With water in a different bag it can fit a stove, pot, etc. I'm still not sure what the best use of the space it.

For the front I just used an off the shelf North Face Summit bag that is suspended from the handlebars and tensioned below by a small canti-boss rack. With some tent stakes giving it form is stays put pretty well.

Click through to the flickr for more process pictures. If you have any questions or are interested in the pattern feel free to ask.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bikepacking Bags

Very nice work hub. I'm sold on the roll top, that give you a lot of flexibility.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good looking bag. Have you seen the seatbag frame from Scott at Porcelain Rocket? It stiffens the bag and anchors solidly to the seatpost, which makes the bag more stable with loads and hammering out of the saddle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bikepacking Bags

Quote Originally Posted by ryker View Post
    Good looking bag. Have you seen the seatbag frame from Scott at Porcelain Rocket? It stiffens the bag and anchors solidly to the seatpost, which makes the bag more stable with loads and hammering out of the saddle.
    I did see that and will probably use it on the next iteration. Scott makes some amazing stuff and has some great trips on his site.

I also used a lot of design from Oveja Negra. In all there are a TON of people making bike bags right now. It's nice to see all of this custom stuff from all over the country.