Thread: Frame Pumps: The Greatest Ever Made

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Frame Pumps: The Greatest Ever Made

Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    Teach me about frame pumps. My Hampsten came with a pump peg but I've never had one. 58cm with a 1 degree slope. Are they different lengths? A must have?

Mike
    Many opinions on this. I've tried all inflation methods and prefer the frame pump over the mini pumps. I also carry one cartridge of CO2 just to be quick about it. IMHO the Silca really is the best. Nicest looking and only one I've had that does not rattle or make noise vibrating against the top tube. You can buy other frame mounted pumps that are more efficient ( Topeak Road Morph for example) but the Silca strike a nice balance of function and esthetic.

If you have the peg, use it! The pumps come in different lengths so just measure your frame and purchase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post

If you have the peg, use it! The pumps come in different lengths so just measure your frame and purchase.
    A word of clarification - measure the INSIDE of your TT which is NOT your TT length. Then pick the size that works for that size - if I recall my 58cm colnago and firefly, both with a 3% slope were 55cm - if I recall.

And yea, full size frame pumps are the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Silca Impero Ultimate nightstick. Okay, it is a pump.

It works. The synthetic chuck gasket is great. It has a check valve, which makes it practicable to loan to those younger than I am (or, really, anybody uninitiated into the joys and cares of Impero ownership). It has the same high-volume high-effort action as an Impero, which is a big win. It fits a frame securely, and doesn't rattle in initial testing. It doesn't have any weird lockouts to gum up with grit like the Master Blaster or the HPx, nor does it attempt to work with Schraeder valves, so no thumb lock.

So basically, it is an Impero that isn't thirty-five year-old plastic, won't explode if misused, and won't punch the clueless in the gut. Super. In fact, the pump works really, really well--better than their floor pump with the standard chuck, actually.

Now, the other side.

It is heavy. My Ultimate weighs 312 grams. A plastic Silca of the same (XL) size with a chrome-steel campy pump head weighs 155g. An HPx comes in at 248g, the original overdesigned frame pump. The Topeak Master Blaster weighs 260-265g in the same size.

The main barrel of the Ultimate is over twice the gauge (thickness) of an HPx at 1.7mm--why? I've dented one HP/HPx in thirty years, and it got run over.

I understand that the ends of the barrel need to be built up to handle the threading at the head and the retention circlip at the top, and the bore diameter and all the guts are great, but the body could be externally butted. It is already turned on a lathe, right? There is no reason the handle needs to be as stout as it is, either. It serves no functional purpose to have that piece be heavier-duty than an Alan top tube. Onward.

It is matte black with red ano. I don't really have a yen for a murdered-out Honda Civics and ground effects lighting, and the purple ano craze of the early 1990's missed me entirely. This thing would look great in brushed or polished silver, clear ano, and black ano accents; however, the current scheme is and probably is kinda inobtrusive on a CAAD10, or a Cervelo. A choice that looked good with brushed Ti or painted steel would be nice.

It has the color palate and basic agricultural aesthetic of an HPx (though it does have cleaner lines), the heft of a night stick, and, should it come out to play this year on tour, a date with easy-off to take all the red ano off of it. It works. It really works well, it doesn't rattle, and it is currently just as rebuildable as an HPx or an old Silca.

Given its design, heft, and aesthetic, its ideal function seems to be as the the communal pump for a group of self-contained trekking cyclists, or for the rider who really misses his old custom pool cue when dealing with angry strangers on the road.

Cheers,

Will
    William M. deRosset
    Fort Collins, CO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really miss my custom pool cue Bill. Great review, you made me laugh out loud which is only a little embarrassing considering where I'm sitting.
    Silca was kind enough to send early production samples to Ballers two years back and everyone was floored with the quality. Sachs popped his in seattube/chainstay triangle and never looked back. They are as you imply pretty darn flawless if not over engineered but hey isn't this the crowd who also digs old underpowered Mercedes? heh.

Take my story with a grain of salt if you aren't the sort who always carries a frame pump, I do.

I'll give the pocket Imperio a try and report back, for now it's a nightstick for me.

PS - you HAD to notice their XXXL is named after me right? Internet fame.....sigh ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a chance to put my Imperio Ultimate to the test this past week. Packed it in the S&S case with the bike and it was great for reinflating the tires upon arrival. It also stayed put throughout, even when playing on some singletrack. I'm sold and in fact thinking about getting another for the Gaulzetti.
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Everyone needs to carry a frame pump. Perhaps you don't need one on every ride however it is the right stuff to have most of the time.
    everyone? nope, I have a sweet little bontrager what fits my jersey and gives me 7,5bar, enough air to go on....

things are different on a touring bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StR View Post
    everyone? nope, I have a sweet little bontrager what fits my jersey and gives me 7,5bar, enough air to go on....

things are different on a touring bike.
    A good pocket pump will do the trick, but if you generally do group rides you'll get some eye-rolls when you pull one of them out. On our rides, I simply won't let someone pump up their tire with a pocket pump. I'll grab the wheel and take care of the issue myself with my Impero. At least that way everyone gets back on the road in a minute or so instead of waiting for the poor soul with the pocket pump to jerk off.
    Tom Kellogg
    Rides bikes, used to make 'em too.
    Spectrum-Cycles.com
    Butted Ti Road, Reynolds UL, Di2, QuarQ, Conour lite, SP Zero
    Steel Cross, X-7, Crank Bros, Concour Lite, Nemesis, Grifo
    Steel Piste, D-A Piste, PD-7400, Concour lite, Zipp 404
    http://kapelmuurindependent.be

Shortest TFC Member (5'6 3/4") & shrinking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kellogg View Post
    A good pocket pump will do the trick, but if you generally do group rides you'll get some eye-rolls when you pull one of them out. On our rides, I simply won't let someone pump up their tire with a pocket pump. I'll grab the wheel and take care of the issue myself with my Impero. At least that way everyone gets back on the road in a minute or so instead of waiting for the poor soul with the pocket pump to jerk off.
    doing group rides on saturdays and sundays, since 1987. ;) change a flat tubular (i don't use clinchers) faster as most people change a a flat clincher. same for the pushing air into the tires;)))
    and we have no stress when we are out there, its for pleasure ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Different strokes for different folks. I really need to try the new Silca pocket pump and see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Different strokes for different folks. I really need to try the new Silca pocket pump and see.
    It's very good. But it's still a pocket pump, so be prepared to get a workout.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StR View Post
    and we have no stress when we are out there, its for pleasure ...
    Jesus, I miss southern Europe sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really need to try the new Silca pocket pump and see.
    just took the plunge myself. these rarely ever come up on sale, so when one of the usual suspect vendors had these discounted i bit. feels good in the hand, quality piece. no regrets here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just for grins tell me how many pumps it takes to get a road tire to 80 psi. I owe you one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just for grins tell me how many pumps it takes to get a road tire to 80 psi. I owe you one.
    yea, done. 100 pumps to get a 25c vittoria corsa tubie to about 80 pounds. i didnt take a gauge to it, but the pinch test told me that the tire was ready to ride @ 100 strokes. my previous standard was the lezyne road drive, which is more convenient due to the flex hose, but the silca definitely moves more air with less effort. i'll stick to the frame pump on the bikes with larger volume tires, but for the road, this is a winner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see what you did there, you are so punny.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kellogg View Post
    OK, Update time. I had a chance to ride with a friend yesterday who has been "officially" putting the Pocket Impero through its paces ... or strokes. I say officially as he is testing it for a "Local" publication. In order to get a 25mm tire up to a regular riding pressure, like around 7 bar, it takes 150 strokes. I asked him how reliable that number was, and the way that he told me that he had confirmed the number multiple times (his tone of voice and the tilt of his head) made it clear that he had spent considerable time on the clock pumping up the same (damn) tire a bunch of times. So there you go.
    Tom Kellogg
    Rides bikes, used to make 'em too.
    Spectrum-Cycles.com
    Butted Ti Road, Reynolds UL, Di2, QuarQ, Conour lite, SP Zero
    Steel Cross, X-7, Crank Bros, Concour Lite, Nemesis, Grifo
    Steel Piste, D-A Piste, PD-7400, Concour lite, Zipp 404
    http://kapelmuurindependent.be

Shortest TFC Member (5'6 3/4") & shrinking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks T.K. It's a frame pump or CO2 for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Porter Cable 12 gal pancake air compressor in a handlebar bag + extension cord. Mission accomplished!

Serious question: is it Schraeder capable?

I was out riding last weekend and a guy came up to me, looked at the pump and asked "Do you have a pump I can borrow?" Without hesitating I gave it to him. He was back in about 4 mins and said in a disappointed tone "You have one of those European pumps, thanks anyway."

Does the head reverse? I don't see any mention of it on the website and honestly it's not something I'd futz around with out on the street but curious...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moots.jpg

Just added a Silca Impero (on sale even for $125!), after being stranded by a faulty CO2 cartridge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wgp View Post
    Moots.jpg

Just added a Silca Impero (on sale even for $125!), after being stranded by a faulty CO2 cartridge.
    I was just essplained by a 20-something Honda Salesman how CO2 really adds to the performance of car tires. Apparently, filling tires with air instead of Honda's special CO2 causes tire rot from the inside out, and CO2 on the other hand fights the heat molecules from high speed driving. I'm a believer now. Unfortunately, you made the wrong decision with a frame pump, as even a failed CO2 cartridge can turn cold enough to fight the heat molecules enough to frostbite your fingers; Italian designers working from sidewalk cafes do not think about things like that. Clearly inferior, last century technology. Nice Moots btw...