Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Frame Pumps: The Greatest Ever Made

Quote Originally Posted by jt10000 View Post
    Swix straps?
    Yup. They are great. The Serotta has no pump peg and the pump is secure on the Zanconato but rattles a bit so I keep it tight with the straps. I use them to secure the battery for my Dinotte tail light to my seat. They're very secure and tidy. I like them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zefel's website shows the HPX in black, and I can only seem to find it for sale in silver. Anyone know why? I know they all used to be black, so maybe its just an old photo.

HPX - ZEFAL
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by s_curran View Post
    Zefel's website shows the HPX in black, and I can only seem to find it for sale in silver. Anyone know why? I know they all used to be black, so maybe its just an old photo.
    HPX - ZEFAL
    No idea. I wanted an all-black one but I couldn't even find a bike shop in NYC that stocked Zefal, and half the ones I called couldn't even order them.
    Rivendell list them in silver, and mine came from the evil overlords of the internet rainforest (who also list them in silver).
    Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wire tie "pump peg" can work for bikes w/out a proper peg (*)

For seat stay mounting, the Topeak pump has enough plastic on the grip and the Chuck ends that you can shape them to conform to the dropout and seat tube - seat stay junction. Just a little bit of effort drastically improves security of the fit. I always use a couple straps anyway. Paranoia perhaps but never a dropped pump.

(*) I asked Joe to add a pump peg to my Kluisberg and he said something to the effect of "heh, you are old school....".

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Wire tie "pump peg" can work for bikes w/out a proper peg
    Thank you very much for that gem! Turns out it's the perfect thing. The HPX#2 is staying (pardon the pun) on the NDS seatstay!

Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Silca frame pump is inevitable. I held the prototype in my hands recently and its all that and a bag of chips. When that becomes available everything else becomes less than ;) AND it will be available to your favorite framebuilders disassembled ready for paint. Yes!
    Did no one else see this???

Any details you can share?
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Dustin View Post
    Did no one else see this???

Any details you can share?
    All intel is unofficial. The head mimics the elegant plastic head that we all loved however it is in aluminum.
    The plunger shaft is twice the diameter of the old pumps and it is reminiscent of THE BEST FRAMEPUMP ever which we all knew and loved.
    Silca is promising some results very soon and if I play my cards right there will be a couple of custom length jobs on my bikes before summer is done.
    Pssst - it is feather light and looks like it will do a terrific job for beating miscreant dogs and poking into the spokes of the visiting team (kidding).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A couple of people have seen or held the new Silca. I haven't. As I understand, it's awhile away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Schwingworthy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
    I went for the rear-stay solution on account of living in a 3rd-floor apartment and shouldering my bike up and down stairs every ride. If I were to fit and remove an HPX pump under the TT every ride I expect the paintwork would be chipped to hell in no time. Not ideal, as I plan to upgrade from this frameset in the next year or so.
    I thought I saw chrome clip-on pump pegs somewhere online, but can't find them for sale - does anyone know where I could get one? Then I could simply move the HPX#2 to the TT and hold it against the ST with said clip-on peg.
    The upside-down nature of the pump as it is now does lend itself to water and crud dribbling down into the handle.

TH, the bearing and washer is a fine idea. If I had any means of bending and machining metal, I'd probably go for it!
    Oh actually I have some of those clip on pegs but the zip tie might be a nicer solution. You can give it a shot if you'd like. I'll dig one out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

well I just cracked the cap on my Quicker Pro awesome mini pump and did a little search on VS looking for a replacement that turned up this old thread. Has anyone had a chance to try the new Silca yet? any other recommendations for frame-sized or mini that have come down the pipeline? (saw that silca also produced a mini version)

thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giordana93 View Post
    well I just cracked the cap on my Quicker Pro awesome mini pump and did a little search on VS looking for a replacement that turned up this old thread. Has anyone had a chance to try the new Silca yet? any other recommendations for frame-sized or mini that have come down the pipeline? (saw that silca also produced a mini version)

thanks in advance
    I used the Silca in mini version. It's a nicely made pump.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giordana93 View Post

thanks in advance
    The Impero Ultimate is the best frame pump ever made and pretty much the most expensive as well. My take? Worth it.
    Tom Kellogg
    Rides bikes, used to make 'em too.
    Spectrum-Cycles.com
    Butted Ti Road, Reynolds UL, Di2, QuarQ, Conour lite, SP Zero
    Steel Cross, X-7, Crank Bros, Concour Lite, Nemesis, Grifo
    Steel Piste, D-A Piste, PD-7400, Concour lite, Zipp 404
    http://kapelmuurindependent.be

Shortest TFC Member (5'6 3/4") & shrinking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kellogg View Post
    The Impero Ultimate is the best frame pump ever made and pretty much the most expensive as well. My take? Worth it.
    Agreed 100%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup. It's the only frame pump I've ever had that doesn't rattle or vibrate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to get an Impero. I have real doubts if I could get one to fit in my frame though. I know Silca claims that it can fit some frames like a Tarmac but, I think mine is a bit to weird. So I'm wondering about the Pocket Impero. I've never ever ever used a pocket or a micro pump so I'm extremely skeptical. Does anyone have any experience with the Pocket Impero?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TRuss View Post
    I would like to get an Impero. I have real doubts if I could get one to fit in my frame though. I know Silca claims that it can fit some frames like a Tarmac but, I think mine is a bit to weird. So I'm wondering about the Pocket Impero. I've never ever ever used a pocket or a micro pump so I'm extremely skeptical. Does anyone have any experience with the Pocket Impero?
    I've had it for a few months. Used it a few times. It's a well-made pump and does the job.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TRuss View Post
    ... I've never ever ever used a pocket or a micro pump so I'm extremely skeptical.
    You should be! They are a fair bit more work than a full sized pump or CO2 cartridge. Expect to spend more time and energy working the mini pump. That's the trade off for something that fits in a jersey pocket.

As much as I like my Silca frame pump, I don't think I've seen any evidence that the smaller Silca is significantly different from something like a Blackburn or Lezyne mini pump in terms of functionality. I'm sure the craftsmanship is great, but if I were in the market I might buy a $25 version first to see if I'm happy "whacking off," as D-CT once put it, the mini pump.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    You should be! They are a fair bit more work than a full sized pump or CO2 cartridge. Expect to spend more time and energy working the mini pump. That's the trade off for something that fits in a jersey pocket.

As much as I like my Silca frame pump, I don't think I've seen any evidence that the smaller Silca is significantly different from something like a Blackburn or Lezyne mini pump in terms of functionality. I'm sure the craftsmanship is great, but if I were in the market I might buy a $25 version first to see if I'm happy "whacking off," as D-CT once put it, the mini pump.
    I have a pocket Impero and a Blackburn Airstik 2-stage. The Impero is much nicer and easier to use, IMO. I always bring a CO2 and carry the pump in the event I get multiple flats or the CO2 fails me, so I don't depend on it as my only source of inflation, though. If I did, I'd strongly recommend a frame pump instead.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids