Thread: Frame Pumps: The Greatest Ever Made

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Frame Pumps: The Greatest Ever Made

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Bad news. Since the camel poked his nose under the tent we are now including frame attached (small) pumps that are worth a good g-ddamn.
    A client gave me a Lezyne Carbon Road Drive a while ago and frankly it got tossed in the bin of things I give away. Curious, I tried it on a 700X25 tire and it pumped it to 85 psi in 150 strokes with no drama. I'd hate to endorse it BUT....apparently there are a few small pumps worth looking at. IIRC it took < 100 pumps for a Silca XL to get a 700X23 tire to 85'ish psi.
    Attachment 70550
    This is mine. Great for your pocket. A great pump. I have one that I had sanded down and resprayed to match the bare-carbon logo and painted finish on an old Meivici. Didn't keep the bike but kept the pump. I need a couple small Crumpton decals and I'll re-do it to match Nick's bike. Now you're talking.
    Lane DeCamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bad news. Since the camel poked his nose under the tent we are now including frame attached (small) pumps that are worth a good g-ddamn.
    A client gave me a Lezyne Carbon Road Drive a while ago and frankly it got tossed in the bin of things I give away. Curious, I tried it on a 700X25 tire and it pumped it to 85 psi in 150 strokes with no drama. I'd hate to endorse it BUT....apparently there are a few small pumps worth looking at. IIRC it took < 100 pumps for a Silca XL to get a 700X23 tire to 85'ish psi.
    while i agree that i hate to include mini pumps into this discussion, this type do indeed perform just about as well as a frame pump; more strokes, but they always get the job done, up to very high pressure. the basic design is stolen from the zefal solibloc after all, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
    while i agree that i hate to include mini pumps into this discussion, this type do indeed perform just about as well as a frame pump; more strokes, but they always get the job done, up to very high pressure. the basic design is stolen from the zefal solibloc after all, right?
    If you say so. They look pretty similar.

I've got some no-name Zefal pump that looks a lot like that in my bin. It must be 25 years old and works like a champ pumping basketballs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TTX1 View Post
    Anyone tried the Silca CO2 gear?
    The new Silca EOLO is awesome. I don't really use CO2 but I have one of these and have used it a few times. It is definitely the best CO2 head I've ever used.

I'm hoping they'll bring to market a killer new frame pump or a really tops mini pump.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a couple of the new Parks and even recommended them here--I loved how they would scale to fit any frame, what a concept. But they didn't last for me. More recently I have also taken off the Lezyne brackets off my bike and just carry them in the pocket. I'm good with this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zefal HP was my go-to defense against chasing dogs.
    Pete Ruckelshaus * Teacher, Fat Guy on a Bike * Collegeville, PA

pruckelshaus' flickr
    Framejig.wordpress.com effort to collect DIY framebuilding jig designs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pruckelshaus View Post
    Zefal HP was my go-to defense against chasing dogs.
    finally I see why a frame pump may be useful

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    finally I see why a frame pump may be useful
    Reading this thread almost....almost....had me going to REI to get a frame pump. Then I remembered that my experiences with the Silca and Zefal made me wonder who designed such implements. There's no way to use those pumps on the road without putting some lateral force on the valve as you pump. Sooner or later you're twisting or bending the valve stem. The perfect frame pump would be a scaled up version of the Lezyne Pressure Drive, with a small hose concealed within.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    Reading this thread almost....almost....had me going to REI to get a frame pump. Then I remembered that my experiences with the Silca and Zefal made me wonder who designed such implements. There's no way to use those pumps on the road without putting some lateral force on the valve as you pump. Sooner or later you're twisting or bending the valve stem. The perfect frame pump would be a scaled up version of the Lezyne Pressure Drive, with a small hose concealed within.
    My first time overseas, in France in 1988, all I had was a Zéfal. You learn to use them without lateral force. It is possible. It is not hard for me to get 100 psi into my tires with my HPx. I've ridden Ballers 3 times and two of the times the HPx got used and I think the second year it was used several times, by more than one rider. I used it at least twice in Ballers #2.

I now more often use a mini pump because they've gotten so good. My pump of choice when using the mini pump is the Topeak Racerocket HP. It'll do 100 PSI but takes forever. The head is on a hose and screws onto the valve. But I also have some old Barbieri mini pumps and I had no real trouble getting 80-90 psi with those either.

But for certain events there's no substitute for a full size frame pump. When used with the strap there's no rattling. It only gets used a few times a year but those rides are salvaged instead of being ruined.

This is what I carried this morning: spare Hutchinson tubular that's been used and used and used and won't die. Yes it holds air. And a lever and the Topeak.

La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's no way to use those pumps on the road without putting some lateral force on the valve as you pump.
    Waay!
    ...just to win a salami in ridiculous races.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Then I remembered that my experiences with the Silca and Zefal made me wonder who designed such implements. There's no way to use those pumps on the road without putting some lateral force on the valve as you pump. Sooner or later you're twisting or bending the valve stem.
    Way.

Do not hold the wheel, hold the pump and support the wheel only by the valve stem. Use your foot, friend, bike, or immovable object to keep the wheel from twisting.

If you can figure out how to keep the Lezyne from removing the valve core, you can do this.

Silca, for special occasions, or if you kvetch about weight. Zefal HPX is the workhorse, the dog baton, the beast. Use an elastic hair band around the handle to keep it from rattling against the top tube, and another to keep the thumb lock from buzzing when it's 20 years old. And don't kvetch about weight. Topeak Masterblaster if you want to buy new. A full-size frame pump makes you as popular as the guy at a nudist colony who can carry the third dozen donuts. Just ask Lumpy.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Way.

Do not hold the wheel, hold the pump and support the wheel only by the valve stem. Use your foot, friend, bike, or immovable object to keep the wheel from twisting.
    Exactly my point.

A full-size frame pump makes you as popular as the guy at a nudist colony who can carry the third dozen donuts. Just ask Lumpy.
    Thanks. You just ruined donuts and frame pumps for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The key is to hold the wheel at on the handle, wrapping your thumb around the tire when pumping to hold the pump onto the valve. No lateral forces.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A full-size frame pump makes you as popular as the guy at a nudist colony who can carry the third dozen donuts. Just ask Lumpy.
    Once I came onto this site to read about bikes.
    Lane DeCamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I can recommend a mini pump, it is the Barbieri CarboOne. Bought this CF mini on a whim about 10 years ago. It will pump over100psi but way over 100 strokes, nice design two finger hold with thumb over tire. Barbieri appear to be promoting the Nana, now, but it does not have the ergonomic hold design of the CarbOne

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    The key is to hold the wheel at on the handle, wrapping your thumb around the tire when pumping to hold the pump onto the valve. No lateral forces.
    Kevin Grady
    Chi va piano, va sano e va lontano.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attachment 70550
    I used to be a zefal HP user and I'm now using these in non carbon version. I've mostly ditched the frame pumps because my bikes doesn't have pegs and I'm using them as commuters too. Frame pumps are nice until you want to shoulder the bike to climb some stairs.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just shove mine in the rear triangle. Out of the way, no peg needed and doesn't make a sound.

2014-07-28 09.32.35.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
    Once I came onto this site to read about bikes.
    Your bike rides sound boring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Peter Weigle modifies Lezyne pumps with a spring to fit between pegs:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49353569@N00/14758111824/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    Your bike rides sound boring.
    Clearly.

Mostly on the track, going in circles, so when I'm on the road, I guess I just go hog wild and think there's so much to be found in a right turn or a stoplight. Wow! There are obviously those out there who have explored more off the beaten path than I.
    Lane DeCamp