Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Frame Pumps: The Greatest Ever Made

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Frame Pumps: The Greatest Ever Made

Topeak Road Morph for anything beyond a local ride, or a major adventure: Amazon.com : Topeak Road Morph G Bike Pump with Gauge : Frame Mount Bike Pumps : Sports & Outdoors

Got me happily across the USA and is serving me well here in MT this week.

Riding locally, I'm satisfied with the Lezyne line with flexible hose or a couple of CO2's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, serious reply this time. Like rosey, when local and not going on an "epic" adventure, I bring a lezyne and a CO2 for backup. When traveling or when the ride calls for a frame pump, I have a couple of the Topeak master blasters. I've been really happy with them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never found anything better than the HPX, and, while I hate the velcro straps, I hated losing my HPX on a ride in Texas once. Hit a bump, pump went flying and I never found it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another vote for Zefal HPx. Mine is 23 years old, and still works just fine. I’ve replaced nothing in it.

I give credit to having a pump peg on my head tube for never losing it. Sometimes the old way works best, no?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm too new to cycling to have ever owned the zefal or silca models. but I have owned and used the park tools PMP-5, the blackburn version (no longer made I think) and the topeak master blaster. so I'll weigh in with my opinions on them:

park tool PMP-5:
    - fitting most frames sizes with one pump is nice, but...
    - ...don't get the benefit of pumping less on larger bikes
    - had it rip valve core out a couple times
    - is fatter than topeak or blackburn versions, and is more difficult than them at higher pressures
    - flip out handle is nice
    - rattles like crazy

blackburn frame pump:
    - lightest of the three models
    - rubber on both ends so doesn't budge
    - doesn't have a proper hole for a pump peg
    - flip-out handle is nice

topeak master blaster:
    - seems to be the easiest of the three to get up to pressure; high pressures no issues at all
    - solid build, doesn't rattle
    - easy to disassemble, clean, have painted to match, etc

my pick of these is the topeak. it's just dead-simple, reliable, and has no issues that i've encountered. i will say though that if your frame lacks means to properly hold a frame pump, the lezyne road drive is a damn good replacement and in the times I've used it, I've never thought "wish I had my frame pump."

also, I'd like to second the opinion that having velcro around the pump sucks. (although I know of people having crashes related to losing the pump and it getting tangled up in the spokes...) and I'd like to state that frame pumps should never, ever, in any circumstances, be used on a frame with swoopy tubes (e.g. S-Works, Dogma, 90% of carbon frames). they just look god-awful, and since they require straps to secure them, are just losing all-around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
    <snip>
    topeak master blaster:
    - seems to be the easiest of the three to get up to pressure; high pressures no issues at all
    - solid build, doesn't rattle
    - easy to disassemble, clean, have painted to match, etc

my pick of these is the topeak. it's just dead-simple, reliable, and has no issues that i've encountered. i will say though that if your frame lacks means to properly hold a frame pump, the lezyne road drive is a damn good replacement and in the times I've used it, I've never thought "wish I had my frame pump."
    Thanks, the Topeak seems to be the way to go. Cheap, purchasable, reliable, service parts available (currently).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a hansome fellow demonstrating TT's "sharp hit" pump removal technique at Ballers 2014.
    I had never thought about the Silca rules... Someone must have shown me the tricks many years ago.

image.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silca is first and mounted along bottle-boss-free seat tube and rattle free. 2nd place is the HpX which needs a strap to prevent rattles. Last place is the top peak which is quiet but gets on and off the valve stem with difficulty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The old pumps -
    Silca vs. Zefal

Silca wins because it holds better on the frame. You can, or used to be able to, get different attachment pieces that screw into the top of the pump so you could mount it under the top tube, or along the seat tube, or seatstay. These little Silca attachment pieces have a rubber like coating on them. The Zefal is a good pump. I had one. It actually pumps up a little better than the Silca, but the little piece that mounts under the top tube that touches the seat tube is made out of plastic. Granted, very heavy duty plastic, but it scratched my paint. So, Zefal loses. Silca wins.

Fast forward to today -
    The frame pumps of today, are the equal if not better than the two aforementioned pumps. I like the Blackburn and the Topeak. I think ability of the pump to stay on the frame over bumpy roads is often overlooked because people are so caught up in which pump is able to pump faster. Both the Blackburn and Topeak stay on the bike really well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Silca. It's the only classic pump I've ever seen that could be painted to match your frame and look good (I've done that with a Lezyne mini frame pump and it looks pretty cool, but it still ain't the same). Silca only works with the classic steel Campy head -- not the plastic one and not the Silca knockoff. The steel heads do tend to rust, and the little tips tend to age or wear through over time. How many people here remember searching for blue tips as opposed to the white ones? God, I just dated myself.
    Lane DeCamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought a Blackburn last year and had occasion to use it for the first time yesterday. After years of using mini pumps it was so nice to be able to pump some real volume.
    Morgan Styer

Welding engineer, daydreamer, and future hobby builder

Artie

Topeak Master Blaster - It's right there in the Hampco S.O.P.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, the round Campy chromed plastic head works fine on the Silca. Just as good as the steel head.
    The original Silca plastic head was only a decoration.
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know of a full size frame pump with a flexible hose at end to connect to tube valve? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blackburn FP-1 (when the body was aluminum) is the best I've used. Similar in function to the Zefal, but doesn't rust to hell, much better than a Silca with Campy head and won't explode after years of sun exposure. Rubber coated, well formed ends work well on pretty much any bike in pretty much any location as long as one uses the appropriate length.

DSC00502-3.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I carry a frame pump all the time. I've used all the old school pumps, and the Park is a winner. $25.00 done and dusted.

Pesta or Schrader ( pump up the wheelbarrow tire ) works just fine. It's not as light as a Silca, or as fragile. Infrators are for Mtn bikes ; )
    Hans Hagman
    Warwick, Rhode Island

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
    Blackburn FP-1 (when the body was aluminum) is the best I've used. Similar in function to the Zefal, but doesn't rust to hell, much better than a Silca with Campy head and won't explode after years of sun exposure. Rubber coated, well formed ends work well on pretty much any bike in pretty much any location as long as one uses the appropriate length.

DSC00502-3.jpg
    Is that an S&S condom?
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zéfal HPx for the win. First pic about 2 weeks ago with the Serotta S&S traveler and the next pic a day or so after Ballers 2012.

La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I miss my Silca with a campy head in a steel painted to math sort of way, but I like mini pumps.
    My Specialized mini fits nicely in my pocket and works great, my Lezyne is a little bigger and also works great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Zéfal HPx for the win. First pic about 2 weeks ago with the Serotta S&S traveler and the next pic a day or so after Ballers 2012.

Which is longer, the pump or those stems?

I kid, I kid…nice rides!