Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: Frame Pumps: The Greatest Ever Made

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Frame Pumps: The Greatest Ever Made

As an aside, the battery pack front and rear are the object of derision and mockery at times but the lights never wavered and we had several lighting failures this evening. In cold weather, twice the battery capacity one thinks one needs might be just enough. Get more than you need. Cheap blinkies don't cut it when it's 30ºF and you've been out for a couple hours.
    Sounds like you are ready to make the leap to DYNAMO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    Sounds like you are ready to make the leap to DYNAMO!
    I've made that leap and will again, but it's a very involved process with this bike. Believe me, I get the benefits of a dynamo light.

But here it will involve a new, disc front wheel which will be expensive. I'd like to redo this bike with the Shimano 8020 mechanical/hydraulic and new wheels. Meanwhile, the battery lights will keep going because Dinotte and Light and Motion make really good ones.

The dynamo thing is a subject worthy of a whole new thread in this Velocipedia section, but not for here, which is all about frame pumps and the HPx that just keeps going and going.

Yes, today I'd buy a Silca Impero frame pump but when I got these HPxs I own the Silca Impero didn't exist.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just want to sing the praises of the Topeak frame pump. I own two new impero silcas also, but you cant beat the Topeak. The best feature is that you can lock the spring loaded handle to "rigid" to pump with. I keep mine in my travel bike case and air up tires every time i travel with this bike, which is reasonably frequently. no trouble getting road tires to road pressures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Can one get a new HPx?
    Why yes one can:

https://www.rivbike.com/collections/...ame-pump-black

I’ve had my HPx for 25 years. Can that be right? Yes, I guess it is. Still works just fine. Now I’ve probably jinxed it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    Just want to sing the praises of the Topeak frame pump. I own two new impero silcas also, but you cant beat the Topeak. The best feature is that you can lock the spring loaded handle to "rigid" to pump with. I keep mine in my travel bike case and air up tires every time i travel with this bike, which is reasonably frequently. no trouble getting road tires to road pressure.
    Totally agree with you there. I was contemplating the Silca but I'm glad I ended up with the Topeak because it's already all scratched up from being inside my travel case. It's not as pretty but it certainly does the job when it has to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could not find it on the Topeak website. Do they even make frame pumps anymore?

I have a very old Blackburn that has never let me down.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    Just want to sing the praises of the Topeak frame pump. I own two new impero silcas also, but you cant beat the Topeak. The best feature is that you can lock the spring loaded handle to "rigid" to pump with. I keep mine in my travel bike case and air up tires every time i travel with this bike, which is reasonably frequently. no trouble getting road tires to road pressures.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianWong View Post
    Totally agree with you there. I was contemplating the Silca but I'm glad I ended up with the Topeak because it's already all scratched up from being inside my travel case. It's not as pretty but it certainly does the job when it has to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Could not find it on the Topeak website. Do they even make frame pumps anymore?
    Ummm...

ROAD MASTERBLASTER™ | Topeak
    My name is Hung | Instagram | Website/portfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hmai18 View Post

That is the global site:
    topeak.com/global/en/products/Pumps/235-Road_49-54cm_framesize

US site does not show it:
    topeak.com/us/en/products/pumps

Can't find it either in QBP (via a few bike shop websites). Seems they only offer mini versions in the US. Apparently we like full size frame pumps as much as we like station/estate wagons.

Never thought my Blackburn would be retro/antique.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd get the Silca. I have two of the Topeak and they work fine, but the gasket on both is shredded, which makes them much less effective and results in occasional torn valves. Finding replacement parts has been a pain. I also have the Silca Pocket Impero (same head as the frame pump) and replacing that gasket cost $9 and took 2 minutes. And it works great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMG_0078.jpg

I have a brand new one. It is fantastic. Wrote about it here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay mini pumps I like:

Zefal Air Profil LL, which is not that mini^^

http://www.zefal.com/en/mini-pumps-r...profil-ll.html

More portable; De quicker Pro (supposedly the best minipump around)

QUICKER PRO! | quickex

Both pumps are a cut above other minipumps.

Still prefer my HP/HPX pumps/
    Support your local bike shop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loknor View Post
    Okay mini pumps I like:

Zefal Air Profil LL, which is not that mini^^

http://www.zefal.com/en/mini-pumps-r...profil-ll.html

More portable; De quicker Pro (supposedly the best minipump around)

QUICKER PRO! | quickex

Both pumps are a cut above other minipumps.

Still prefer my HP/HPX pumps/
    I really liked the Quicker Pro and had 2 samples; unfortunately they suffer from a fatal flaw: the end cap on both of mine ended up cracking. my fault, no doubt, as they both were dropped to the floor, but split in cap and you can't seem to order just that part. too bad, cause I did like it. In other news, it does appear that Topeak may have stopped selling the frame fit pump. no inventory in normal distributors here in US from what I could see. they have 10 mini pump models though.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Until Silca sends me their mini the Lyzene Road Drive is pretty well perfect. Ninety easy pumps puts 80 PSI into 28's.
    *For some reason I can not fathom Silca does not send me a case of every new product. I really need to fix that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giordana93 View Post
    I really liked the Quicker Pro and had 2 samples; unfortunately they suffer from a fatal flaw: the end cap on both of mine ended up cracking. my fault, no doubt, as they both were dropped to the floor, but split in cap and you can't seem to order just that part. too bad, cause I did like it. In other news, it does appear that Topeak may have stopped selling the frame fit pump. no inventory in normal distributors here in US from what I could see. they have 10 mini pump models though.....
    I too noticed that about Topeak frame pumps. I should look into that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Until Silca sends me their mini the Lyzene Road Drive is pretty well perfect. Ninety easy pumps puts 80 PSI into 28's.
    *For some reason I can not fathom Silca does not send me a case of every new product. I really need to fix that.

I had one of these and after a few uses the plastic threads (that the hose threads into) stripped out and the pump was useless. I was warrantied easily enough but I wouldn't risk getting caught with another one. Lucky for me it worked enough to get me out of two flats on a 600K but I doubt it would hold up to any amount of regular use. I was putting 80psi in a 28mm tire too, the metal threads on the hose get warm and the plastic gets soft and deformed. A friend had the same thing happen to his too... if they changed the threads to all-metal it probably wouldn't be an issue. It's a shame because that hose with the gauge is pretty sweet. I dunno if it was just the gauge model that has plastic threads but I'm not buying any more lyzene pumps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Clasher thanks for the feedback. Maybe it was just the guage models? I've had mine since they came out about 6 (6) years ago. Frankly, I'd rather have the Silca.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine (non guauge) didn't have the plastic thread.

Had some issues once in a while with valve cores unthreading when removing the pump and the pump did indeed get hot. Mine was killed. Crunched by a car. It fell from my jersey pocket when I tried to grab a windjacket.

I replaced it with a zefal air profil micro.

Pros:
    -lightweight
    -aesthetic
    -It inflates pretty much as well as the Lezyne road drive.
    -no risk of unthreading that valve core
    -inexpensive

Cons:
    -without a flexible hose you have to be more careful when pumping in order not to damage the valve
    -I once had to rethread the handle, I added loctite to prevent it from unthreading in the future.
    -the rubber o-ring which keeps the handle into place when folded can end up inside the handle once in a while. A multitool can be handy to grab it back when it happens.
    -the frame mount doesn't look as good as the pump itself but I still own the lezyne one.

I can live with its minors quirks.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's been A LOT of responses on this subject, I thought I would throw my now worthless 2 cents in on the discussion just for fun.

First off I have 3 frame pumps and 3 mini pumps, but since this discussion is on frame pumps I discuss those first, all the frame pumps have no problem whatsoever getting to 110 psi which is the absolute max I use.

The oldest frame pump I have is about 35 years old, it's a Silca Imperio with the Campy head, it's a yellow plastic body job that is still in very good condition but it didn't get used to much. I like the Silca because it looks very nice compared to the more ugly others I have and it's the lightest frame pump I own, it pumps air very easily and real well to, and holds rather nicely on frames that have a pump peg with nothing more then spring pressure and no straps and it's never came off while riding. But since the body is plastic, there is a end section that your hand holds that made of thin aluminium, and the head is chrome. You do have to be careful pumping with it so as not to be stroking less then straight on the shaft or you could crack the plastic, it's also not recommended that you hit a dog with it. Once the pump is on it will stay on hard, you have to wrap it with your hand to get to come off the stem.

The next oldest one I have is about 32 years old called a Zefal HP, this is a tank of a pump, I've used it once to beat the head of dog with hard enough that there was blood on the pump but the pump wasn't even damaged but the dog went screaming away. This pump is ugly and made uglier with use, but it does pump air very well but surprisingly not as well as the Silca but a lot better than mini pumps. This pump also has held on to the frame with by spring pressure and no straps, and it too has never came off while riding. It's a heavy pump because the body is made of all aluminum, the head is steel, nylon feet and end cap, with a nylon pump grip. This pump doesn't care if you don't have the body lined up well because it won't break.

The last frame pump I have I think is actually more accurately called a half frame pump, it's about 5 years old and it's a Topeak Road Morph G. this is also a very ugly ungainly looking pump. This pump works very well though, it has a flip out foot peg and handle that turns the thing into a mini floor pump making it a snap to pump air, it also has a hose just like a floor pump, and a built in gauge while it's not real accurate it was only off by 5 psi so not bad for a float gauge. This pumps is also quite heavy. The biggest issues I have with this pump is the external hose probably won't last long with exposure to weather plus it makes the pump ugly and ungainly looking; the other HUGE issue is the mounting system sucks, there is no way to secure it tightly, it moves on the frame as I ride, it won't come off but it shifts around. While it will easily get to 110 psi when I counted the strokes it took to get to 100 it took 175 strokes which is the most of the frame pumps I own, but it's not a true frame pump either so the size plays a huge role in how many strokes it might take.

Of the three it's a toss up between the Zefal and the Silca, the Silca does pump air better and it's lighter but with that light weightiness comes the potential cost of it breaking. The Silca pump is still available at YellowJersey in assorted colors but not with the Campy head of course and now only in the small size; of course Silca has a new one out that is extremely well made and heavy but indestructible, but it's also $150 range which is too much for a bike pump in my opinion but it's the highest quality frame pump in the world. The Zefal is a tank too, it will last forever whether it gets dropped while riding or you beat dog with it or another person it will still pump air afterwards howbeit at a slower rate than the Silca. If the Silca wasn't so expensive I would go with that one but since the Zefal is cheaper that's the one I would choose today if I was buying one because it's the best buy. I use my old Zefal on my touring bike by the way, and I have a mini attached to a water bottle cage for backup.

Now onto mini pumps just for extracurricular grade. First one must realize when buying a mini is to shop very carefully because only about 4 or 5 mini pumps on the market will actually reach 110 psi, the rest say they will, even claim they can get to 160 psi...THEY CAN'T, not even the 4 or 5 that can reach 110 won't ever get to 160! This is false advertising in my opinion but that's America for you. I bought a lot of mini pumps and returned most of them because they were huge fails, most could only get to about 60 psi and a few to 75, the stores I sent them back to said they were intended for emergencies to get you home! to that I said BS, I'm riding my bike if I get a flat I shouldn't have to quit my ride early and go home! Anyway onto the mini's I kept.

The first and oldest one was actually a warranty exchange done about 8 years ago. I had a SKS Puro that blew apart at 45 psi on it maiden use, SKS exchanged if for a Carbon Wese Race Day pump, this pump is no longer in production but it was a very good pump, I still have this pump and it will pump a tire to 110 psi. Even though it's made of carbon it's heavier than my other minis but it appears it could last the longest. When I tested it to see how many strokes it would take to get to 100 this one took 280 strokes.

The next pump I got was a Topeak Race Rocket HP, this is decent pump, it has an internal hose that comes out which with some people works better than a direct connect pump. With a direct connect pump a lot of people will start "sawing" the pump on the valve stem which can lead to ripping the valve stem at it's base, with a hose type of connection as long as you keep slack in the hose while pumping you'll prevent that stress. This pump will get to 110 psi but it will take a lot of strokes to get there, when I counted how many strokes it took to get to 100 psi it took 355 strokes, that's a lot, it's the most of all my minis, and that's the only thing I don't like about this pump. The Race Rocket series comes in 3 sizes the HP and the HPX are the larger ones but the HPX can only be mounted if you remove a water bottle cage? stupid idea from Topeak, which is too bad, while Topeak offers a part to mount the HPX alongside of the cage it cost extra! I just don't understand that. The smaller Race Rocket will not get to 100 psi nor will the others with similar names like the micro rocket series which will be lucky to get to 60psi.

My favorite pump is the Lezyne Road Drive, this thing looks great and works great, but there is a secret to this pump to make it work great that most people don't realize but it common sense should tell you, that secret is when you go to buy one it comes in 3 sizes, small, medium and large, these are all in regards to length, I have the large one, this pump took only 225 strokes to get to 100 psi, it will also go to 110; I have a feeling that the medium size one will probably take around 300 strokes to get to 100 but with a lot more effort then the large one, and I seriously doubt the small one will even get to 100.

The next mini I have is the Lezyne Alloy Drive, this is suppose to be more for MTB tires but I've used it for high pressure stuff. This pump will take about 350 strokes to get to 100, but it will take quite some effort to get there. It's also a pump with a hose hidden inside, it's not as good looking as the Road Drive but looks similar to the Topeak Race Rocket series. This is the pump I take when I tour because the touring bike doesn't require as much psi in it's tires so this one is suited for that just fine.

Of the ones I mentioned that I own the winner is hands down the Lezyne Road Drive in the large size.

The only mini pumps other then the ones that I own that I've heard from others that will reach 100 psi ( I don't own these) is the Birzman Velocity, it has a internal hose and a psi gauge; Lezyne (Lezyne has quite a few very good pumps) Carbon Drive; Airace Mini Veloce; and the new kid on the block is the Shimano Pro Team Carbon, this pump has done quite well in reviews. There maybe a couple of more I'm missing but out of a lot of minis on the market there are only about a half a dozen good ones.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011