Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian Recipes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Vegetarian Recipes

I'm a recent convert, only in about a month, though have been close to vego a number of times in my life. I'm a 41 year old, diabetic and have an aversion to seafood, mushrooms and now meat. I like long walks on the beach....

Searching through here for vegetarian recipes I see that there a quite a few long term vegetarians so thought I'd hit you guys up for some fresh, easy to prepare vegitarian recipes.

Let us know what you've got.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of the recipes in the Vegan cookbooks by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. There are a few oddball ingredients to track down in the beginning but I've had a ton of first-try successes with her recipes. I never use the Internet for recipes anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Vegetarian Recipes

I did over 20 years.. Vegetarian for 10, vegan for at least 12. I loved it, a true lifestyle.. That being said, it got to me physically. I still eat vegetarian probably 90%, but! am country as shit. I have embraced rabbit, turtle, groundhog, venison and what not.

I love vegetarian and am considered a good cook. Tell me what you like to eat. I will try and add something. My specialties are, beans, greens, fresh whatever and some sort of carbs.! I get as excited bou food as Lynn Rosetta Caspar!@
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the way, everything we cook is fairly easy to get. I hate a recipe that requires a funking ingredient you have never heard of. Good, simple shit.
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyhillrambler View Post
    I did over 20 years.. Vegetarian for 10, vegan for at least 12. I loved it, a true lifestyle.. That being said, it got to me physically. I still eat vegetarian probably 90%, but! am country as shit. I have embraced rabbit, turtle, groundhog, venison and what not.

I love vegetarian and am considered a good cook. Tell me what you like to eat. I will try and add something. My specialties are, beans, greens, fresh whatever and some sort of carbs.! I get as excited bou food as Lynn Rosetta Caspar!@
    I need carbs. Being a diabetic, I need to put some carb in. I'm starting to use legumes more - Chickpeas and Lentils are becoming a staple.

I love beans and greens, curries, mexican, all that stuff is appealing. I'd love to get more vegies (cauliflower, eggplant, spinach etc) into my diet. I follow Kev Batchelor from Mosaic Cycles on Instagram and that guy is always putting good stuff up.

Thanks for the responses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a vegetarian, but have this book. Everything I've done out of it has been tasty: Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone: Deborah Madison: 9780767927475: Amazon.com: Books

Lot of carb-y recipes.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian is a good starting point. You can move on to more complicated things, but he will provide you with a recipe for basically every mainstream dish you can think of and some more. Easy to follow and generally informative too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the book recommendations also. I've been operating out of this one for a while, whilst flirting with idea vego eating. It's got some good recipes and has a great selection of quick cook cupboard staples recipes. The Chickpea Curry is fantastic.

River Cottage Veg Every Day! : Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall : 9781408812129

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks! I'll look into Mark Bittman's website.
    Airedale, I can send you a pdf file with 200 vegan menus, though they are in Spanish.
    luis prado alonso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few years back I decided to try going veg. it did not work out however a positive outcome resulted. I've got a bunch of terrific "go to" veg. recipes that are easy to make and I've got one ready in the fridge all the time. We try to eat veg. three days per week.

Current fav. on the hit list is hummus. I make it from canned organic garbanzos ( no salt), it takes me all of 10 mins. including clean up. There are two good threads on Vsalon
    http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum...mus-23183.html
    This is my Hummus recipe:
    . Taste at every step, be sure all ingredients are seasoned.

1. Using a 11 to 14 cup food processor add 1.5 cups of tahini and whip it for 1 or 2 mins.
    2. Add two cans of rinsed chicpeas or fill the processor 3/4 full.
    3. Add garlic, salt, pepper, EVO and blend until it is creamy. Add juice of 1 large lemon with the pulp. OK to add water sparingly. Taste to be sure salt is proper.
    4. *I like to lighly brown the garlic before adding*

The Hummus is basically crack, drag anything thru it and enjoy. Another amazing recipe that I've been making for 20 years are cuban black beans. This freezes very well and over some quality grains with a dash of cheese you can live on. Look here for the recipe:
    http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum...d-2151-11.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by turkish View Post
    Thanks! I'll look into Mark Bittman's website.
    Airedale, I can send you a pdf file with 200 vegan menus, though they are in Spanish.
    Turkish thanks for the offer! My Spanish isn't so flash though. Appreciate it.

Josh - thanks I'll go hunt those ones down. Love me some hummus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by airedale View Post
    I'd love to get more vegies (eggplant) into my diet.

Thanks for the responses.
    OK - take your EP's and if they are small like a Chinese or Thai EP they are fine whole, but the big guys, go ahead & 1/4 them the long way.

Now, get your grill REALLY HOT - it cannot be too hot, even a fire would work - and, grill the EP's until the skin is black & peeling.

Cover them in a tight container until cool, and peel off the skin, it comes right off.

Put it in a blender with a little water, and add olive oil while blending until smooth, and add balsamic vinegar to taste, I like garlic & S&P as well.

Spread on everything, or hell……eat it with a spoon.
    - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I make this too - learned it from a Romanian friend. it's terrific and a good way to get rid of a lot of eggplants.

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    OK - take your EP's and if they are small like a Chinese or Thai EP they are fine whole, but the big guys, go ahead & 1/4 them the long way.

Now, get your grill REALLY HOT - it cannot be too hot, even a fire would work - and, grill the EP's until the skin is black & peeling.

Cover them in a tight container until cool, and peel off the skin, it comes right off.

Put it in a blender with a little water, and add olive oil while blending until smooth, and add balsamic vinegar to taste, I like garlic & S&P as well.

Spread on everything, or hell……eat it with a spoon.
    - Garro.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty great suggestions so far.

We make tons of stuff from 101 cookbooks. Many odd ingredients can be substituted if you are not cooking for foodie TV.

Technique wins over total authenticity in my book.

My wife made this or something pretty close, last night. It was delicious.

Spicy Cauliflower with Sesame Recipe - 101 Cookbooks

I like getting my greens with an apple and kale salad.

1 diced tart apple
    very fresh dark kale shredded by hand
    some kind of vinaigrette. I like olive oil and light rice wine vinegar and maybe a squeeze of lemon.
    nuts if you like
    raisins if you like
    bit of salt and pepper if you like
    Zuzu’s pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by airedale View Post
    I'm a recent convert, only in about a month, though have been close to vego a number of times in my life. I'm a 41 year old, diabetic and have an aversion to seafood, mushrooms and now meat. I like long walks on the beach....

Searching through here for vegetarian recipes I see that there a quite a few long term vegetarians so thought I'd hit you guys up for some fresh, easy to prepare vegitarian recipes.

Let us know what you've got.
    this is how I make an unorthodox indian Dhal.
    Veggie & Vegan, easy to prepare, very nutritious and rich in proteins.

• 3/4 tbsp of sunflower oil in a nice, non-stick tall pot
    • 1 shallow tbsp of Curry powder, 1/2 tbsp of Paprika powder, 1 teaspoon of Turmeric powder
    • once the spices are lightly browned in the hot sunflower oil, I add 1 small white and 1 small red onions finely diced, I add 1/2 leek finely chopped too
    • about 5min on med. fire, then I add 1 can of chopped tomato and 1/2 glass of water
    • at this point, if you like, can add an OXO cube or Marigold or similar stuff
    • leave for another 5min then add 300gr of Split Red Lentils, previously left to soak for 12hrs minimum; add a pinch of salt
    • you may want to make a VERY nutritious meal, add 2 potatoes diced small, now!
    • leave for about 15-20min adding a little bit of water if needed
    • 10min before the end, you may add Soy chunks, or Broccoli
    • wanna make it hot? add 1/2tbsp of chilli flakes, or -better- 1/3 of fresh Habanero chili pepper for extra-flavour
    • make sure is thick enough, that's why is important to add water in small steps.
    • sprinkle a bit of fresh parsley before serving. Enjoy!
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Long time vegetarian (10+ years) and vegan (a few years, who's counting?) - lot's of good recommendations in this thread. No specific recipes, but a few tips.

Learn to build a really good salad. Not as easy as it sounds. Layer the textures (something crunchy, something creamy) and spread the love with your protein sources (baked/smoked tofu cubes, garbanzo beans, roasted nuts). Think outside the box and add something unexpected, layer with grains..etc. Also, silken tofu can be used as a base for a creamy salad dressing that also adds a good dose of protein. Take 1C of silken tofu, throw it in a food processor with a couple of cloves of garlic, a half tablespoon of white whine vinegar, a hefty couple of tablespoons of dijon, a pinch of salt and pepper, a tablespoon of flavorful olive oil and a half tablespoon of worcestershire (not vegan, if you want it to be vegan replace this with a half tablespoon of umeboshi vinegar for that nice fishy taste) and a good sprinkle of nutritional yeast (good b vitamin source if you're not eating meat). Whir until it's smooth et voila.

On that note, keep in mind that approximately EVERYONE in your life will ask you about your protein sources. The reality is that you could eat nothing but vegetables and, assuming you meet your caloric needs, hit your protein needs without adding any specific protein sources like tofu, tempeh..etc. There are lots of highly bioavailable protein sources out there that don't come from animals. If you need help with any specific nutrients (a lot of vegetarians have trouble getting a non-chelated iron source or a b12 source), I'm more than happy to make recommendations. I'm a highly competitive athlete and have no problem meeting my nutritional needs, it just takes a bit of planning and education.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Addendum, because I can't edit that post:

About eggplants (and mushrooms): a trick I learned from a chef-friend of mine for super-hydrated vegetables or fungi is as follows. Bake them first to avoid the in-pan steaming (as they heat, they release water and then steam in their own juices, making it hard to get a good crisp in the pan). So, take your eggplant slices or mushrooms and toss them on a sheet into the oven at 400f until they are mostly baked, then when you're ready to eat take them and throw them into a pan with sizzling oil. It'll allow them to form an immediate crust because you don't have the moisture to contend with. You can also do this by osmosis if you're into that sort of thing: take your eggplant slices, rub them down with a good amount of salt and then let them sit. As they sit, the salt pulls the water out of the eggplant. After 15-20 rinse them under cold water and pat dry, then proceed with cooking. at that point they can be put right on the grill.

Good luck, and feel free to reach out with any more specific questions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do always sprinkle a lot of salt on Melanzane (aubergines) mostly to reduce their possible "bitter" taste.

As far as salads I do prefer them plain: lettuce, tomato, cucumber, cappers and sometimes Beans as a side dish
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Octave, so what is your advice on iron source?

Everyone, great tips so far, especially the eggplant recipe Garro!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by miwuksurfer View Post
    Octave, so what is your advice on iron source?
    Vegetables have non-heme iron, rather than the heme form found in animals. This means it's not as efficiently absorbed, but there are some ways around this.

First, vitamin C increases iron absorption about five-fold. A lot of dark, leafy greens already contain vitamin C so that's easy. So do tomatoes, so the tomato sauce you've stewed those greens into is even better. Same goes for broccoli. A hit of citrus can sub for any of these if you're trying to pair.

In terms of readily absorbed non-heme iron sources, soy is great. Lentils, chickpeas, lima beans.. all good. Blackstrap molasses has about 50% of your daily needs in a 2T serving, and also makes a great source of some essential minerals, so it's not bad to use that as a topping for oatmeal or something if you like the taste. I mix a tablespoon into one of my water bottles on long rides.

As a side note, the oft-touted iron-rich spinach is a poor iron source due to the presence of oxalates that prevent absorption. So, foods that are theoretically high in iron aren't necessarily functionally high in iron. Similar problems exist with beans, but if they're properly soaked before cooking (use a tablespoon of apple-cider vinegar for each cup of beans you're soaking in water), the issue is null. This is also true of nuts. Almonds, cashews both have great iron stores but they're not absorbable due to the presence of certain phylates and other enzyme inhibitors. Give them a good soak before using and they're good to go.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast