Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speaking of Hamburgers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Speaking of Hamburgers

I've gone around the block with this and there is only one recipe nada. The only appropriate addition to hamburgers is salt and pepper. The end result should be light, even fluffy with some caramelization. What you do with it after that could be a million things which is where some genius is involved. The meat I like around 80/20 for grilling, fat is flavor. You know the drill, form them gently and let rest. My grill is an inferno when the patties go on and the burgers get cooked about 4 mins. per side or less if it is for myself. A clever trick for even cooking is to press a thumb into the center of each patty, it works. Don't be afraid of flare ups. Let the heat do it's magic. My big green is is probably running at about 600F or more.

No cheese No mayo it offends me.

A brioche bun would be supreme but I'll take a potato roll.

What's your story?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Speaking of Hamburgers

I'm on a quest to find the perfect burger. I still haven found it, but I'm enjoying the journey. Legend has it that my father used to demand hamburgers for breakfast as a child. It's in my DNA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with S & P only. Problem is our CSA offers only 90/10 and we've requested repeatedly that they offer, or change to, 80/20. I do work in a little bacon grease occasionally (yes I collect bacon grease).

TT, would you give more detail on the thumb trick ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with s&p and 80/20 but I love american cheese and a toasted bun, sesame seed preferably. One of the best burgers i have ever eaten was a Husk in Nashville Tn.. Here's the link the story behind the burger, Anatomy of an Icon: The Husk Cheeseburger - Burger Week 2013 - Eater National

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cook mine same as Josh, also 80/20 always, and do the thumb press before you put it in the grill.

As for seasoning: cumin, salt, pepper and a little flat Coke. No kidding.

Serve with A1 and sliced tomato.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I basically ran a Wendy’s store for two years while in high school so I consider myself a connoisseur. To this day I still like my burgers very much in the Wendy’s tradition. 1/4 pound of 80/20 just over 1/2” thick. No additives, light salt as it comes off heat. No pink The pre-pattyied, non frozen burgers from BJ’s are pretty good.

No cheese. Mayo, ketchup and thin sliced dill pickles on the top bun and mustard and onions on the meat. Lettuce is fine if crisp and only very good tomatoes. However, if it’s a “very good” tomato, why waste it on a burger.

Keep the bun light and simple. The bun carries the piano so the patty can play it.

I can be talked into some pink with a thicker burger but I think the above is more of a crowd pleaser.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
    ?.. (yes I collect bacon grease).
    ?
    There are people who let bacon grease go to waste?

Nick

“If today is not your day,
    then be happy
    for this day shall never return.
    And if today is your day,
    then be happy now
    for this day shall never return.”
    ― Kamand Kojouri

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best burger I ever had wasn't even cooked properly. One of my campers owns a Organic Angus beef farm. He brought 20 lbs of frozen patties and told me in no uncertain terms not to them up with inclusions. My only choice cooking for the masses was a large webber grill but with that much on the grill at once they partially steamed. None the less, the flavor was amazing.

Heat + good meat = winner.

I can hang with a crisp leaf of iceburg and yes if that tomato is that good why is it on the burger?!!!

How the he!! can we get all the VSalon chefs in one place so we can ride cook and eat for a weekend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm kinda partial to an egg mixed in with the beef. Mixing in crushed garlic is pretty good also. American, cheddar, Swiss, Monterey Jack, whatever, I'm down with cheese. Toasted bun. Bacon, preferably baked with brown sugar.
    I'm also very open to experimentation. I'll put anything that sounds like it might be good on a burger. I'm gonna try the flat Coke thing.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the Kompound here we mix beef 50/50 with ground venison. Makes a nice, lean, burger. Grilled is the rule, and the family has different tastes. Me I like a thin smear of mayonnaise, lightly toasted bun, and good quality cheddar cheese. Wife is about the same, and the tyrant likes ketchup and no cheese.

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll fold in some spices. cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, a touch of something sugary... whatever jumps out at me from the spice cabinet really. Sometimes I'll fold in some minced garlic or shallot. I love cheese, but loathe american. a mild Cheddar, will almost always work but I'll try anything that melts. I love me some avacado slices or a spicy guac is even better. If I have some bacon on top, that's the shiz... a good pretzel roll is awesome, brioche is great too and potato roll is the backup plan.

Coke sounds interesting. I can use half a can in the burgers and half a can to loosen up that seized bottom bracket.

It's 9:30am and now I'm effing hungry for a burger.
    Bill Showers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I'm on a quest to find the perfect burger. I still haven found it, but I'm enjoying the journey. Legend has it that my father used to demand hamburgers for breakfast as a child. It's in my DNA.
    Why didn't you say so. I try to look like a cyclist when you are around and tread carefully on the food yo. Next time you guys come over, we'll throw some burgers on the grill and see what pans out. The wife doesn't know how to make a veggie burger though .... and store bought can be iffy. We'll have to figure that part out.

I'm going to get flogged for saying this one, but ..... if you can't wait - hit up Capital Grill at lunch and have their burger. It's pretty damn good.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    Why didn't you say so. I try to look like a cyclist when you are around and tread carefully on the food yo. Next time you guys come over, we'll throw some burgers on the grill and see what pans out. The wife doesn't know how to make a veggie burger though .... and store bought can be iffy. We'll have to figure that part out.

I'm going to get flogged for saying this one, but ..... if you can't wait - hit up Capital Grill at lunch and have their burger. It's pretty damn good.
    It's my dirty little secret. A good burger ticks all the boxes for me. The wife will be happy with a nicely grilled portobello, so when I get back we'll do burgers at your place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I go between thinking the best burgers are done on cast iron or the grill. Both have their place I suppose. Me, I prefer cheddar, bacon, mustard and extra pickles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely an egg in there. I like to chop up some jalapenos and mix them in before cooking to give it some spice too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I've gone around the block with this and there is only one recipe nada. The only appropriate addition to hamburgers is salt and pepper. The end result should be light, even fluffy with some caramelization. What you do with it after that could be a million things which is where some genius is involved. The meat I like around 80/20 for grilling, fat is flavor. You know the drill, form them gently and let rest. My grill is an inferno when the patties go on and the burgers get cooked about 4 mins. per side or less if it is for myself. A clever trick for even cooking is to press a thumb into the center of each patty, it works. Don't be afraid of flare ups. Let the heat do it's magic. My big green is is probably running at about 600F or more.

What's your story?
    A few finely chopped onions mixed in can help the exterior carmelization. You need to like the onion-ey flavor, of course, which I do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thought we did this one.

yep, salt and pepper only if you've got the right beef.

right beef for me is a combination. I'll use primarily chuck, brisket and strip steak--worth it. It really adds to the flavor, on it's own it's too lean. I"ve experimented with short ribs, ox tail, sirloin, pork, you name it. Must be +20% fat. I"ve had the butcher do it, he kept some of the mix for himself, but i have a grinder and usually do it myself. Getting the fat right is real important, and usually not done on the first or even second try.

Grill vs griddle or cast iron, grill is good if you use wood (never gas, don't own one) but griddle is best for burgers. Hot griddle sears and adds a touch of crust that's wonderful, and cooks a juicer burger.

The bun is more important than i first realized. the only place i can get a decent one here is fuddruckers. they'll sell them separate, just call ahead. I realized how important a tender, egg washed, non disintegrating bun was while eating one of the very best restaurant burgers at JG Melons. You New York folks have a nice burger joint there. Rumor has it they use 5 cuts of meat. They wouldn't confirm or deny.

If you add cheese take the burger off griddle or grill just before temp, add cheese--enough so when it melts it runs over the edges, and finish under a broiler. only takes a few seconds. very nice to look at. and eat too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

start with good grass fed beef it makes a difference, although not everybody likes the grassy flavor. I make them flat and grill them through without pressing. Salt and pepper only.

Life is too short not to add cheese and a thin shmear of good mayo. Add a good pickle slice, crisp lettuce, thinly mandolined red onion, tomato, and a lightly grilled potato roll, some grilled corn on the side... oh yeah, that's what's for dinner tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post

What's your story?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grill 100% of the time. Charcoal grill and I typically throw some apple wood in there too. Soak the wood for 1/2 hour or so. Or throw it in there dry if you prefer a less smoky flavor.

Ground chuck. An egg. And to satisfy the coon-ass in me...Tony Chachere's Original Creole seasoning though, I will also use Tony's More Spice seasoning sometimes. Tony's is good stuff. Not available everywhere though.

And that's it as far as meat prep goes. How we dress it varies depending on our mood.

Guy
    The mountains are calling and I must go.

- John Muir

The name is Guy Fazzio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not much to add... i pretty much do it the same tt. 80/20 with s and p on a hot grill.
    i will say that when you start adding too much to the pre cooked beef....... i call that a meatloaf.
    j

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast