User Tag List

Thread: Vermont ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Vermont ideas?

So as a last second thing my girlfriend and I are going to try and escape up to Vermont (or maybe western MA) for a long weekend over the 4th. Neither of us have spent time there really (except for myself at the kingdom trails). Can anyone point us in the right direction?

I'd like to ride a bunch, I'll need to find something in the 30-40 mile range for her, and go for some longer ones myself. Quiet, dirt roads would be fantastic.

Going to check out some of the stuff in Burlington isn't out of the question, but we are thinking it would be a relaxing trip. We'll definitely be looking for a few good places to eat.

We are thinking we will camp, so if anyone has a campsite suggestion, I'd appreciate the scoop. We are also tempted by some of the houses on airbnb as well.

Thanks in advance!
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Vermont ideas?

Man, I would pick either the Mad River Valley(Waitsfield Warren) or the Upper Valley ( Norwich/Enemy State).

Plenty of 30-40 mile loops to be had - but hilly in either location if you want to get off the main roads.

Quiet dirt roads are a given in either locale. Ping CXinNH for Upper Valley Routes, he has a great list on ridewithgps.

I can help you find some good stuff also, not up on the camping though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stowe. The climb up past the ski resort to Smugglers Notch is quite fun (and the descent is excellent).

Vermont is great cycling territory. If you like nice smooth compacted gravel, there are loads that interconnect the (reasonably few) rural roads. You will love it up there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    Stowe. The climb up past the ski resort to Smugglers Notch is quite fun (and the descent is excellent).

Vermont is great cycling territory. If you like nice smooth compacted gravel, there are loads that interconnect the (reasonably few) rural roads. You will love it up there.
    Stowe in the off season was great when I was there. Looks like the Golden Kitz is not around anymore, otherwise I'd tell you to stay there.

Have Fun!
    Zuzu’s pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VT is awesome! Hard to go wrong. I went to Woodtsock for a wedding last fall, busy but very pretty town. Someone here, I forget whom, gave me a great loop that involved dirt roads aplenty, just ask for directions to Suicide Six Ski Area and you'll find it. There's a Raptory up there that is really neat. Other than that, I second Mad River Valley, Stowe, Burlington, etc...have a ball! Oh yeah: Long Train Brewery is right near Woodstock, you can eat and drink and jump in the stream! Or just do what I did and drink until you put a box on yer head. IMG_5468.jpg
    you're not the lord of the flies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bike Ride Profile | 1 free ride near Woodstock | Times and Records | Strava
    Heres a quick loop I always love.

Good roads to seek out in the VT side in the Upper Valley-

Dirt- Joe Ranger Rd, Wild Apple Rd, Cloudland Rd, Hartland Hill to Garvin Hill and that area in South Woodstock. Cox District/North Bridgewater Road, Tigertown Road. These are roads I'm always connecting to to ride on from just noodling. Average grade usually isn't too bad but they often have sustained sections that are over 12%.

Paved: Jericho Street, Dothan, Pomfret Road, Tyson Road (bit south in Reading), Old Queechee Road, Queechee West Hartford, 132 up from Sharon into Strafford area, Beaver Meadow down into Norwich.

Most of those roads have decent suface but more often than not the paved roads are a lot more painful to ride on than the dirt ones. I keep going larger and larger tires and smaller and smaller gearing...

I never ride on route 4, it sucks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys are awesome, thanks for all the help. Now I think I need two trips (atleast). One to the upper valley and one to Stowe/Mad River Valley area. I am thinking we will start with Stowe, I'd like to see Burlington, and the only way I'm going to will her into a 3,000' day is with Ben and Jerry's as a reward. This said, a lot of the nice camping sites seem full so we'll see.

I'm hoping we stumble across a few nice swimming spots on the ride as well.

mainemike, what the heck is a Raptory?
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probly not a word! I was referring to this, which is awesome and I loved it! Welcome to the Vermont Institute of Natural Science
    Put Maine on yer list!
    Quote Originally Posted by s_curran View Post
    You guys are awesome, thanks for all the help. Now I think I need two trips (atleast). One to the upper valley and one to Stowe/Mad River Valley area. I am thinking we will start with Stowe, I'd like to see Burlington, and the only way I'm going to will her into a 3,000' day is with Ben and Jerry's as a reward. This said, a lot of the nice camping sites seem full so we'll see.

I'm hoping we stumble across a few nice swimming spots on the ride as well.

mainemike, what the heck is a Raptory?
    you're not the lord of the flies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mainemike View Post
    Probly not a word! I was referring to this, which is awesome and I loved it! Welcome to the Vermont Institute of Natural Science
    Put Maine on yer list!
    Ah, ok, I like the word!

My girlfriend is from Maine, Boothbay. We spend a lot of time up there, some day we'd like to move to Portland actually (if we can find work). I havent got to ride the area, but we are between sugarloaf and saddleback (my favorite place I have ever skied) often.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mad River Valley --
    The food at The Common Man is amazing.
    Lawson's Liquids, great nano-brewery IPAs sold only in the valley.
    Warren Falls. The water is cooooold.

(Riding on Rt 100 is awful, tho.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm headed up to Shelburne with my girlfriend to visit her family, planning on a loop Friday down to Middleburyish and back. Haven't done any real route planning yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    I'm headed up to Shelburne with my girlfriend to visit her family, planning on a loop Friday down to Middleburyish and back. Haven't done any real route planning yet.
    Endless possibilities are available from as flat as VT gets to "boy this sucks".

Stowe swimming holes are the old one 2.5 miles up the Mt. Rd [108] 100 yards past the Hob Knob restaurant and the new fav on The Little River at the base of Nebraska Valley Rd. And of course Bingham Falls way up the Mt. Rd and a hike in but super nice.

Bingham Falls - Stowe Land Trust

[I ride with friends in VT from time to time]

s curren, what kinda food you looking for?
    Last edited by Furious Fred; 07-03-2014 at 03:58 PM. Reason: My laptop spells poorly
    5. Endurance athletes are woefully lacking in total physical capacity.