Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Best Place for FTP Testing in DC Metro Area

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Best Place for FTP Testing in DC Metro Area

I know that there's a fair population of VSalon folks in the DC metro area, so I was hoping that somebody might be able to help me out with this. Since I just got my new Zank and its accompanying power meter (and this is my first experience training with power) I need to go conduct an FTP test. Do folks have a favorite place to go conduct these tests? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Best Place for FTP Testing in DC Metro Area

Hains Point Loop in Washington, DC, United States | MapMyRide

Just keep an eye out around the signs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to do Hains Point in the old days but those stop signs do get in the way, as does all the traffic. I'd go to skyline drive and start at the toll gate.

Skyline First Climb in Front Royal, VA, United States | MapMyRide

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skyline is good. I've used Kennedy Peak also (SkyMass) and on a quiet Sunday Clara Barton Parkway starting from McArthur > South and stay in the left lane when you hit DC to accomplish a U turn back to McArthur rinse and repeat. Depending on how finite you want to test on the road honestly I think that 10 or 15 mins. factored by multiplying by .90 or .95 is plenty to get a solid test done you really don't need 20 mins.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is the stretch of Lorton Road out to Gunston Hall/Hallowing Pt in Lorton, as well. Goes past Pohick Bay. Mostly flat with one sharp desecnt/climb (depending on your direction) that's short. If you start at Gunston ES, it's about 11 miles r/t. I'd U it before you go into Hallowing pt itself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

does the goon ride still exist? They don't stop for anything :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Skyline is good. I've used Kennedy Peak also (SkyMass) and on a quiet Sunday Clara Barton Parkway starting from McArthur > South and stay in the left lane when you hit DC to accomplish a U turn back to McArthur rinse and repeat. Depending on how finite you want to test on the road honestly I think that 10 or 15 mins. factored by multiplying by .90 or .95 is plenty to get a solid test done you really don't need 20 mins.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoB View Post
    does the goon ride still exist? They don't stop for anything :-)
    LOL that's fair ;) Yeah it will never go away. Don't look for me there, I've got a short fuse for bad behavior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just did one this past weekend. Start on Macarthur Blvd, stop sign before old angler's, climb hill, right onto Falls Rd, Right onto Oaklyn, Right onto Persimmon, right onto eggert (which is turn before that small bridge that goes over the Beltway. My 20 min hit as I descended down eggert, which Ts back into Macarthur blvd. Great roads, minimal traffic. Turn left, go back to DC and stop at Jetties for a sandwich on the way home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by srenda View Post
    Just did one this past weekend. Start on Macarthur Blvd, stop sign before old angler's, climb hill, right onto Falls Rd, Right onto Oaklyn, Right onto Persimmon, right onto eggert (which is turn before that small bridge that goes over the Beltway. My 20 min hit as I descended down eggert, which Ts back into Macarthur blvd. Great roads, minimal traffic. Turn left, go back to DC and stop at Jetties for a sandwich on the way home.
    That's a lot of either up or down, it will be tough to maintain a level effort.

I'm tellin' yah, Clara Barton Parkway on a quiet day is your friend. Haines Point is the default.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair point, but I prefer the ability to not start/stop like at HP. Will check out CB parkway idea though, sounds like a good one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Local club used to have a TT on the CB Parkway. I agree. Good place for it early on a Sunday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by srenda View Post
    Fair point, but I prefer the ability to not start/stop like at HP. Will check out CB parkway idea though, sounds like a good one.
    Heck, give me a shout. I'll draft you and be your guide dog. It's a terrifc route and ZERO stops....just keep riding until you get the miles you want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the trainer inside with a couple of fans. Repeatable every day of the year......
    Friends don't let friends ride clinchers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL that's fair ;) Yeah it will never go away. Don't look for me there, I've got a short fuse for bad behavior.
    Still the bestest, fastest, safest ride in the D.C. metro area.

Clara Barton is the best for ftp and it's where I do my 20. I did the TT when PPTC held it on Clara Barton. Believe a kiwi (former national NZ tt champ) holds the record. I tried to resurrect that event some years back but no luck…….so off to Poolesville for tt series and one year the district.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't forget the W&OD westwards. Get out far enough and the population of joggers/walkers/etc all but disappears

If you call 'DC area' out my way (Nokesville) Elk Run road is another good one to ride. No stop signs from 28 to 17. Mostly flat with a few rollers at the bottom end. ...and... as a bonus, you can stretch the loop out to include Kelly's Ford, Covington Corner, and back past the SPCA (water stop)

M

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoB View Post
    I used to do Hains Point in the old days but those stop signs do get in the way, as does all the traffic. I'd go to skyline drive and start at the toll gate.

Skyline First Climb in Front Royal, VA, United States | MapMyRide
    Did this on Sunday; it's definitely a winner. (Not implying that it's the only winner, but I was able to keep power variability pretty low, traffic wasn't an issue, nor do I see how it could be, etc)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

glad to hear it! beautiful ride on top of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Lewis View Post
    Did this on Sunday; it's definitely a winner. (Not implying that it's the only winner, but I was able to keep power variability pretty low, traffic wasn't an issue, nor do I see how it could be, etc)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10 to 15 minutes is definitely not even close to long enough to be using that multiplier. .9 maybe, but not .95. 10min in general is not a good proxy to use for estimating FTP as the W' contribution is still fairly high and its not a very aerobic effort. The shortest I'd go is 20min and even then the highest multiplier I have found to predict true 60min MMP is .925.

Hains early AM preferably on a weekday, run the stops/signs if there are no cops. Not the best solution unless you want to drive far, but that is the best route for managing pacing and variability. I tried Clara Barton for a while, but Hains is extremely easy to hold within 2-3w. If you can't maintain power around the 2 turns then you shouldn't even be FTP testing as you have much bigger racing-related problems. Even then if using WKO you can remove them, or just live with the 1-2w loss. I have no desire to drive to Skyline to test and unless your races finish or include a long climb its not a very specific test environment as the muscular recruitment pattern of climbing is far different than riding on flats/rollers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless you can do a 40k TT outdoors, or unless you have your head right to do it indoors (which can be done -- my best 60min numbers came on trainer tests), I would opt for:

30 min indoors.

What most riders can manage for 30min on the trainer is within 5w (of the margin of error of your powermeter) for a good outdoor 60 min effort.

Although Karsten argues for a highest multiplier of .925 for the 20min, I've seen guys files where the true FTP is anywhere from .98 to .88. In all cases (about 30 guys over the years) I've seen the 30min indoor get very close to on the money of the true 60min outdoor. Friel relies on the 30min indoor, and with good reason, I'd say.