Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Best Coffee Grinder - Input Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by ericpmoss View Post
    WLL = Whole Latte Love
    Oooooooo.
    AngryScientist, I will probably regret not doing just that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cross Check, please:

I need a new grinder. Broke my second Capresso in six years when the burr module got put in upside down after cleaning (once it's wedged in there, it is stuck!). I'm 95% pour-over, 5% mokka pot. Don't have an espresso machine, so I think my grinding needs are pretty simple. My research keeps bringing me to the Baratza Encore for about $140.

Is there something else I should look at? Any concerns beside it's almost entirely plastic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would check out one of the refurbed Baratza Sette models. Yes, it's pricier, but a skeptical friend bought one, and in his own words, "This is a game changer. I was wasting my machine and coffee before I got this."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ericpmoss View Post
    I would check out one of the refurbed Baratza Sette 270 models. Yes, it's pricier, but a skeptical friend bought one, and in his own words, "This is a game changer. I was wasting my machine and coffee before I got this."
    I looked at that and there's one on the refurb site but the product description says recommended for espresso fine grinding. Seems overkill for Chemex and french press.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I run about 50/50 split between pour over and Moka pot and an Encore has been perfect for the past couple of years. I set it to 10 for the pot and btw 15 and 20 for pour over depending on volume.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    I looked at that and there's one on the refurb site but the product description says recommended for espresso fine grinding. Seems overkill for Chemex and french press.
    I've had a refurb Sette for about a year that I use only for espresso, I'd agree with you. I've got a Baratza Virtuoso refurb that I've had for two years that I think is plenty for Chemex and press and I've continued to use it for anything that's not going in the espresso machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Consider this: Orphan Espresso LIDO 3 Hand Grinder
    I've finally worn out my other hand grinder and settled on this not so little puppy.
    Two thumbs up and a bag of chip. Super easy to adjust and holds enough beans to make enough coffee for two.
    They say it is the portable model however there is nothing portable about this, it's large.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I've finally worn out my other hand grinder and settled on this not so little puppy.
    Two thumbs up and a bag of chip. Super easy to adjust and holds enough beans to make enough coffee for two.
    They say it is the portable model however there is nothing portable about this, it's large.
    timely suggestion. we woke up without power on Saturday and while I had means to boil water and pour over on my beloved old Melitta, I was damned lucky to have some preground coffee stashed away for work. I was thinking mortar and pestle for beans, or hammer and an old sock...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You will not regret this overpriced purchase. I've had mine a couple months and zero regrets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    This is spot on. I have had a LIDO ET paired with a Flair Espresso machine (bought the Flair based on glowing reviews from TooTall and others) for about 11 months now. Consistent performance for 1-2 shots a day since then. I like that the LIDO retains almost zero grounds if I just give it a couple of love taps. I have barely had to use the brush. The LIDO is large but not too big to take car-camping or along for a weekend and the access to fresh ground beans and great espresso while camping brings joy to any crisp morning. Throw a Bellman on the Coleman stove and the camping latte or cappuccino are there for the taking.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456