Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Best Coffee Grinder - Input Welcome

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Best Coffee Grinder - Input Welcome

how are you guys cleaning ceramic burr hand grinders? I've heard differing opinions. Anyone try grinding rice for cleaning?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a metal burr grinder. Grinding white rice works like a charm. Then I put a few beans through it to make sure I don't get rice particles in my next cup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take my Iberital apart vacuum and brush everything and then put it back together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I came here in hopes of finding an idea for a grinder for a pal of mine, as a gift. I was not prepared for the cost of grinders.

Holy shit.

What do you folk who only drink one cup a day, but want control and have no need to grind more than 1 or 2 cups at a time, do?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Dustin View Post
    I came here in hopes of finding an idea for a grinder for a pal of mine, as a gift. I was not prepared for the cost of grinders.

Holy shit.

What do you folk who only drink one cup a day, but want control and have no need to grind more than 1 or 2 cups at a time, do?
    Bodum Bistro burr grinder.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy shit.

I'm a one or two cup a day guy. I have this Capresso - Infinity Conical Burr Grinder - Coffee Grinders - Seattle Coffee Gear. You can find it cheaper at Bed Bath Beyond etc with a coupon. Meets my needs but I can easily see (and hear) that the motor wasn't made to grind all day, every day.

I grind 17g a morning and it doesn't complain. Once a year, a buddy and me set up "Starbobs" at the office and run the make-believe cappuccino machine for the office party. The Capresso runs all afternoon and at some point the motor goes to sleep until it cools down. Good enough for me.***

(I am getting a new boss, someone from the Starbucks Corp. So maybe he'll tell me I'm doing it all wrong and to cease and desist from using the Starbobs name )

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hand-grinders. The lido 2 I just got is amazing. It is maybe the nicest piece of machinery I have ever held. There are some nice ceramic hand grinders from Korea and Japan as well. I went with the lido because the reports I read of the good ceramics from the east say they are limited in adjustability. The lido seems to perform well from Turkish to French press; although, as the manual states, there is a small learning curve in setting the grind exactly where you want it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the newest grinder from Baratza. The Preciso is pretty great (so so ergonomics but beautiful grind). This new one, the Sette, looks to be way better still.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice thing about Baratza is replacement parts. After ~5000 uses, mine ate a gear and belt thanks to an errant stone. Parts were $8 and the fix was totally DIY if you own a 4mm hex wrench.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ericpmoss View Post
    I *really* recommend the Baratza Preciso. Expensive, but it actually does better than my $1300 Italian shop grinder, in terms of grind quality. The static issue is very small -- maybe one shot of waste over a couple months.
    I just received a Preciso for my bday in April. I'm really stoked on it. Pairs great with my Silvia. Maybe not the best of the best but its damn good.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The wife and I are pretty fed up with our current (in theory quite nice but in practice kind of crap) DeLonghi. Have heard decent feedback about the Bodum burr grinder, especially with regards to anti-static/grinds tidiness. Anyone out here have experience? BISTRO | Electric coffee grinder Black | Bodum Online Shop | United States

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the Bodum. Was pretty good until it wasn't. Didn't hold a candle to the Vario I have now, but then it's much less expensive. I'd be tempted to try the Encore for similar money (about $100 ballpark).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eric, any thoughts on the general staticyness level of the Baratza Encore? I know there are too many variables to really have a firm assessment, but thoughts are appreciated. That's the number one issue my wife has with our current (plate-style) burr grinder - I have more of an issue with the grind consistency, but that's another story.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    I had the Bodum. Was pretty good until it wasn't. Didn't hold a candle to the Vario I have now, but then it's much less expensive. I'd be tempted to try the Encore for similar money (about $100 ballpark).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mwynne View Post
    Eric, any thoughts on the general staticyness level of the Baratza Encore? I know there are too many variables to really have a firm assessment, but thoughts are appreciated. That's the number one issue my wife has with our current (plate-style) burr grinder - I have more of an issue with the grind consistency, but that's another story.
    Wrong 'Eric' responding, but my original Baratza (2007) had horrible static, mostly because of the plastic formulation of the grounds bin. For $15 or so the new bin got rid of 99% of the problem. I'd *imagine* that any of the models since say 2012/13 would have very little static issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Eric, that's good to know! I think that's the culprit with our current machine, but no way to replace with a friendlier bin (AFAIK).
    Wrong 'Eric' responding, but my original Baratza (2007) had horrible static, mostly because of the plastic formulation of the grounds bin. For $15 or so the new bin got rid of 99% of the problem. I'd *imagine* that any of the models since say 2012/13 would have very little static issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No idea, personally. It's not an issue with my Vario and the grinds I've tried with it- a fine-ish moka pot and a fairly course press pot. Much better than any other grinder I've owed. I generally use the portaholder for espresso grinds, but have had no issues when switching to the grounds bin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most likely going to go with a Baratza Virtuoso or Encore, depending what I hear back from Baratza. Looking at one of their refurbished models.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mwynne View Post
    Most likely going to go with a Baratza Virtuoso or Encore, depending what I hear back from Baratza. Looking at one of their refurbished models.
    If you can, get a Preciso (if a refurb exists) instead of the Virtuoso. The reason is that, at least for my Virtuoso, I needed to set it at about "3" for typical beans on my espresso machine. "2" was much to fine, and "4" was much too coarse. Luckily "3" was just right, but there's a good chance that 2.8 or 3.2 would be important for you, and the Preciso is the conical burr grinder that has the fine adjustment missing from the Virtuoso.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you can, get a Preciso (if a refurb exists) instead of the Virtuoso. The reason is that, at least for my Virtuoso, I needed to set it at about "3" for typical beans on my espresso machine. "2" was much to fine, and "4" was much too coarse. Luckily "3" was just right, but there's a good chance that 2.8 or 3.2 would be important for you, and the Preciso is the conical burr grinder that has the fine adjustment missing from the Virtuoso.
    We mostly use manual brewing (I rotate between french press, espro press, aeropress, pour over, and cold brew - we do have a cheap little Breville home espresso machine boxed up, but that's currently in a different country). From what I read/hear, the Virtuoso is the better non-espresso-oriented option (better performance across the coarser range), and the additional precision is of less importance for our types of brewing. So I hear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mazzer Super Jolly.. check ebay / craigslist. The biggest game changer in my espresso game. For pour over / aero press / etc.. a virtuoso is def the way to fly.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast