Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Standing Desks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Standing Desks

Has anyone used one? Did you find it affected your cycling performance (either initially or long term)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Standing Desks

I cobbled together a standing desk about 4 months ago. As a white collar "knowledge worker", I used to sit my entire day: At my desk, in meetings, at lunch... you get the picture.

It took a little getting used to, but I have noticed two small things about my cycling:

1. Legs feel fresher. I was worried that standing most of the workday would give me "waiter's legs", but the reality is the opposite. I think the key is supportive shoes and a cushioned mat at my stand-up desk work area.

2. Niggling lower back pain is reduced. This was the reason I thought I would try a stand-up in the first place... and it has worked. I have a leg length issue that contributes to my lower back pain, but standing has reduced the daily soreness I once felt.

The last tip is set up: Keep a computer key board at your natural shoulder/elbow and wrist angle and the monitor at you eye level.

Good luck

Appleton WI -- home of Harry Houdini and Rocky Bleier
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wisco View Post
    I cobbled together a standing desk about 4 months ago. As a white collar "knowledge worker", I used to sit my entire day: At my desk, in meetings, at lunch... you get the picture.

It took a little getting used to, but I have noticed two small things about my cycling:

1. Legs feel fresher. I was worried that standing most of the workday would give me "waiter's legs", but the reality is the opposite. I think the key is supportive shoes and a cushioned mat at my stand-up desk work area.

2. Niggling lower back pain is reduced. This was the reason I thought I would try a stand-up in the first place... and it has worked. I have a leg length issue that contributes to my lower back pain, but standing has reduced the daily soreness I once felt.

The last tip is set up: Keep a computer key board at your natural shoulder/elbow and wrist angle and the monitor at you eye level.

Good luck
    What Wisco said. When in the corporate world I was able to get our facilities people to configure a standing desk for me, and the keyboard and monitor heights are key to making it comfortable. Think about getting some kind of footrest so you can alternate between standing on both legs and one at a time for variation.

I also "smuggled" a Swiss ball into my office and replaced one of the chairs at the small table with that. People thought I was a little "different" anyhow so my co-workers saw it as consistent with that -- but they all wanted to try it!

As to cycling performance -- well, I was a lot heavier then so my cycling sucked no matter what:)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, I ask because my first workout after starting with the standing desk I felt a bit sluggish. I do have a very nice setup - my employer just buys Ergotron conversion kits that are fitted to an existing cube work surface. Monitor and keyboard shelf heights are independently adjustable so things are ergonomically good. We'll see how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have used a standing desk at work for the last two years. I find training rides are better done before work or at lunch. The clock doesn't indicate rides done after work (after standing all day) is negative but I can tell you that I feel worse. On Friday's (rest days), I sit more. I have a cushioned mat to stand on as do most of my colleagues who use standing desks. Having offered the caveats about fatigue above, what's clear about the benefits of standing desks (according to my three public health interns) is less what they do than what they force you to avoid: sedentary behavior. Namely, standing all day is much better for cycling than sitting at a desk all day and not moving.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny. My wife and I were just talking about this. For years I stood at work sometime 8-10 hours a day. Now I'm stuck sitting in a office chair for 8 hours, car drive 1 hour round trip and riding less. I was thinking of moving this route.

Cheers. Nick
    Not Riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an AirTouch adjustable height desk on order for my office. I'm really looking forward to having the option to stand up while working at my computer.

On a related note, some of my persistent lower back pain dissipated when I started carrying my wallet in a front pocket.
    Morgan Styer

Welding engineer, daydreamer, and future hobby builder

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went standup about six months ago, using this plan for a $22 Ikea standup desk as a template. I bought some additional brackets and shelves to create cantilever wings on either side of the main desk.

It took me a couple weeks to adjust, and my lower back was the first part of me to complain after I switched. I did a cross race soon after converting, and had the worst case of cross back I hope I ever have. After that, the back got better, and I find I can now ride in the drops comfortably for a much longer period of time. I can also stand all day with no back pain.

I'm also mostly without shoes these days. My feet definitely hurt after a long day. I'm standing on a carpeted floor, no padded mat yet, so adding one of those might help. If I know I'm going to have an evening training session, I tend to sit a little during the day and I also sit down for 30 minutes or so at lunch.

And yes, you will have increased edema in your lower extremities.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have the resources, a pneumatic type, height-adjustable desk is the way to go. Sit for 30 min, stand for 30 min. I think standing (in good posture) is better than sitting, but any single position can be nasty over a long period of time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ned View Post
    If you have the resources, a pneumatic type, height-adjustable desk is the way to go. Sit for 30 min, stand for 30 min. I think standing (in good posture) is better than sitting, but any single position can be nasty over a long period of time.
    Mine isn't pneumatic but it is counter weighted or something so I can very easily move it to a sitting position if I feel like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for updates on this. Any recommendations on commercial available pre-built models that fit the following requirements:
    - no more than 36" wide and hopefully no more than 30" deep (needs to fit in a very small apartment)
    - multiple desk/shelf surfaces (at least two) so monitor and keyboard can be set to different heights
    - only need room for large monitor, laptop (can be closed), keyboard, mouse, and the occasional textbook
    - Easy height adjustability (electric or manual) would be great but not 100% necessary
    - Less than $500 if possible (trying to avoid junk that will just fall apart)
    - DO NOT want to build any rube goldberg's but fine with putting together something pre-fab

I am spending much more time (nights and weekends) at home (small 750sqft apartment) studying and doing projects for grad school. My wife is fed up with me taking over the dining room table which is not even that good for me ergonomically so I am trying to find a small standing desk to use instead. I am worried that I am starting to roll my back while studying which is also really bad for the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Earlier this year I switched to a sit/stand set up in my studio for design work and could not be happier. I ended up going with a table sourced from Fully called the Jarvis. A few options and you can purchase just the base if you have an existing table top. Nice clean and simple lines. It got really good reviews and I can attest. Works well and is relatively quiet when adjusting it. I believe it's one of the only ones that I know of that has the height range it does. Check it out. Love mine.
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried an adjustable desk once and did found that it wasn't convenient at all with annoying slow adjustment speed, possible hassle with cable cords and the standard chair was always being in my way.

So instead of an adjustable desk I simply removed the legs on mine and replaced them with affordable builder trestles bought at the hardware store, a bit of dual sided tape to avoid any slipage (not sure if it was needed or not but hey) and a bar stool. The bar stool allows me to switch from sitting and standing in like 2 seconds, takes way less space when put aside and can be used to rest only one leg/foot. Total cost is also way lower than buying an expensive adjustable desk. Win/win.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ride hard therefore I sit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My Varidesk is 30" by 30". It's easy to adjust with several indexed positions, has a lower section for the keyboard with a "shelf" for the monitors that is 3" higher. I use a laptop in a dock with two 20" monitors. Once I set up my cables to allow for the full travel about a year ago, I haven't messed with them again. The only negative is that I'm in a cubicle and I'm tall, so when I raise the desk I'm above my cubicle walls and people see me and I see them, it's distracting because everyone feels a need to be social because they see me. Sometimes I just want to get stuff done. There are several height indexed positions, but mine is either all the way down or up, I'm too tall for any intermediate heights.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you know which model?

The 30" by 30" only seems to be the version that sits on top of an existing desk rather than be a stand alone adjustable desk.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    My Varidesk is 30" by 30". It's easy to adjust with several indexed positions, has a lower section for the keyboard with a "shelf" for the monitors that is 3" higher. I use a laptop in a dock with two 20" monitors. Once I set up my cables to allow for the full travel about a year ago, I haven't messed with them again. The only negative is that I'm in a cubicle and I'm tall, so when I raise the desk I'm above my cubicle walls and people see me and I see them, it's distracting because everyone feels a need to be social because they see me. Sometimes I just want to get stuff done. There are several height indexed positions, but mine is either all the way down or up, I'm too tall for any intermediate heights.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been using a Varidesk for almost 4 years. I really like it. Many days I don't sit at all. I have an adjustable arm that lets me easily adjust the monitor height. A wireless keyboard/mouse eases the up/down migration but when mine dies a year ago I haven't bothered to replace the wired set I borrowed. It is easy enough to move them from the variable desk top to my keyboard tray that I don't worry about the wires...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fortyfour View Post
    Earlier this year I switched to a sit/stand set up in my studio for design work and could not be happier. I ended up going with a table sourced from Fully called the Jarvis. A few options and you can purchase just the base if you have an existing table top. Nice clean and simple lines. It got really good reviews and I can attest. Works well and is relatively quiet when adjusting it. I believe it's one of the only ones that I know of that has the height range it does. Check it out. Love mine.
    Kris,

Are you still happy with the Jarvis?

I'm thinking about upgrading to an adjustable desk now that I'm re-doing the home office space. There are a slew of different companies, so hearing from someone who has one is very helpful.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bobonli, I picked up the Cora standing desk converter from Fully at the start of the you-know-what and it's been a huge help for me. I arrange laptop/keyboard/mouse on it and leave the rest on my desk, so it's great for video calls, doc writing, or other times that two screens are not essential. My back is happy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Bobonli, I picked up the Cora standing desk converter from Fully at the start of the you-know-what and it's been a huge help for me. I arrange laptop/keyboard/mouse on it and leave the rest on my desk, so it's great for video calls, doc writing, or other times that two screens are not essential. My back is happy.
    Great to know. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast