Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Selberbruzzler

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Selberbruzzler

We are the “Selberbruzzler”, an amateur frame building group based in Vienna/Austria. Far away from being professional builders we are proud to be invited by e-RICHIE to join this forum with our story of success and failure.

As many good ideas it all came up while drinking beer and talking about bicycles. It was almost four years ago when my friend Ernst told us that he will no longer just bolt components on bicycle frames, no, he will braze his own frame. Unfortunately all of us had no or only little experience in metalworking which is something that cannot be compensated by ambition and theoretical knowledge. But we all know that experienced people and knowledge are somewhere out there. This was the initial spark of approaching the community in an Austrian bike forum and the beginning of our frame building story.

Soon after the first appeal we found a small basement workshop run by a passionate part time mechanic who offered us his location an evening once a week. In addition a professional toolmaker joined who constructed and built our frame jig which is still in use today as well as a CAD programmer. He is the author of the very versatile and easy to use bicycle design software rattleCAD, of course freeware (rattlecad.sourceforge.net). Other friends followed, all eager to dig deep into the secrets of frame building. Our first attempt was quite chaotic, the bike was (and is still) working but driving double tracked with much too short chain stays so it could only be operated with a worn 21mm tire. This first bike was followed by several lugged frames progress was visible, we all were getting more experienced and repeating mistakes and errors became less and less common.

From the beginning our philosophy was also to share the failures and let the public take part. So we posted every tube cut too short, every flux burned too hot, every wrong aligned chain stay and drop out section, every improper lug angle etc. in the internet forum an became quite famous in the German speaking frame building scene. One of the main advantages of this approach was that even established frame builders (namely Georg Blaschke, Ulrich Vogel, Kai Bendixen, and many others) and a lot of amateur frame builders joined the forum and provided valuable hints and knowledge which increased our learning curve and reduced the number of our mistakes. Two years ago, motivated also by the professional builders in the forum, we got the chance to have a booth for non commercial builders at the European handmade bicycle exhibition in Schwäbisch Gmünd, Germany. There we presented our work the first time, established further contacts among the professional builders and created a lot of public interest for our work.

Sebastian also joined our team, he is building titanium frames in his garage, amazing stuff! Thorsten Buurlage from Germany is also part of our informal collective; I posted one of his bikes here in FNL. No comment! This year in April we had our first appearance at the “Bespoked” - the UK handmade bike exhibition in London. Of course again without any commercial interest. It’s all about passion!

Ernst started with fillet brazing this year to build a bike for his son, and so far numerous frames of all different types left our workshop. Some of them were already posted here in FNL.

I invite all of my friends from the “Selberbruzzler” to present their work and intentions here in the following posts. And all here in the forum: Have fun and share our passion! And of course don’t be shy to ask anything you want, especially regarding our failures!

Cheers,

Philipp Reichel
    Here the list of our “factory riders”:
    Ernst Wabek (aka Noize; founder)
    Manfred Petrovic (aka Hermes; co-founder)
    Thomas Kaider (chief mechanic)
    Michael Müller (our toolmaker)
    Andreas Schröder (aka Cardellino)
    Manfred Rosenberger (rattleCAD author and developer)
    Benedikt Welz (photograpy and good advice)
    Sebastian Schindler (aka bastl; titanium welder)
    Thorsten Buurlage (in a class of his own)
    Philipp Reichel (aka Pippo; co founder, head of international marketing ;))

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Selberbruzzler

and not to forget exotec, our first sponsor for the ehbe in germany. he produced a columbus max frame almost all by himselve. exotec please post some fotos here. you are of course also part of our collective.

sorry for not mentioning you ..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a pleasure being invited by Richard to contribute our story here at Velocipede Salon.

It is a funny road on where we are riding since 2010 when I postulated this call for help to get me a frame built. A couple of new friends, 8,000 posts and 800,000 unique hits in our forum followed this initial call until now and there is no end in sight. To give you an impression I will start with what we got famous: Errors

This is where I started four years ago

and thats where I am now:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very Good!

If this pace is kept Vienna might be the new center of european framebuilding very soon!

All the very best from good old Geldersheim,

Georg
    GEBLA PRECISION FRAMES - Engineered to perform - Designed to fit - Handmade to order
    Georg Blaschke
    http://www.gebla.de
    http://www.georgblaschkebikes.wordpress.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice to have some more Eurotrash power around velocipede, welcome

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pippo View Post
    We are the “Selberbruzzler”, an amateur frame building group based in Vienna/Austria. <cut>
    Ya know, this is all a very cool story and one unlike any I've heard before.
    Mad props to you all for the commitment, and thanks for posting on V atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to forget: If you give enough tips at the Selberbruzzler forum you get a nice cup saying "Meisterbruzzler". It, more or less, turns your workshop into a Vienna Cafehouse.

GEBLA-EHBE01.JPG

Greetings,
    Georg
    GEBLA PRECISION FRAMES - Engineered to perform - Designed to fit - Handmade to order
    Georg Blaschke
    http://www.gebla.de
    http://www.georgblaschkebikes.wordpress.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GEBLA View Post
    If you give enough tips at the Selberbruzzler forum you get a nice cup saying "Meisterbruzzler"...
    Greetings,
    Georg
    some more tips and you get a t-shirt (Selberbruzzler-instructor)

Übungsleiter.jpg

Ulrich
    Ulrich Vogel Fahrradrahmenbau, Bamberg, Germany
    Site
    Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ulrich vogel View Post
    some more tips and you get a t-shirt (Selberbruzzler-instructor)

Übungsleiter.jpg

Ulrich

I can still squeeze into a size small atmo...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    I can still squeeze into a size small atmo...
    but can´t breathe

Ulrich
    Ulrich Vogel Fahrradrahmenbau, Bamberg, Germany
    Site
    Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wednesday evening is bruzzler-time:
    Yesterday it was quite crowded in our small workshop, we were visited by an "aprentice" from carithia, working for a school project, a single speed frame (cool school indeed)
    Cardellino started with a frame for his brother an I continued working on frame one of our l'eroica project (details soon)

our trainee:
    trainee2.JPG trainee3.JPG

upper bottle cage boss could be more in line with the tube but the beer is dynamic:
    pippo eroica1.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

..and we have our own wool jerseys made especially for us by some folks (Daniel and Klaus) from Munich, Germany.

Nobody has asked what "Selberbruzzler" means so far.

"Selberbruzzler" is a combination of two terms. The first part simply means "self" and the second part could be translated with "sizzle". "bruzzeln" (the verb) is an interjection word coming from the noise wet flux produces when treated with the torch and it is widely used as a colloquial alternative to "welding" and "brazing". So simply "Selberbruzzler" stands for a person or a group who does brazing (welding) by itself.

"Werksfahrer" means "Team Rider" in German

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and simply great to wear
    prost.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all!

My name is Sebastian, I'm part of the Selberbruzzler collective and I would like to thank Mr. e-Richie for the opportunity to share our frame building related path of life here in VS.

So lets fill this thread with some words.

I've been interested in creating things with my own hands since I was able to hold a tool. I enjoy to work with different materials like metal, wood and even glass. I studied mechanical engineering, and in my day job I'm doing design calculations where I have specialized on finite element calculations, including fatigue analysis and all that kind of stuff. I also made a training as a welding engineer a few years ago, where I learned a lot about welding and material science.

That all gives me a really good theoretical background for my hobby works. And this knowledge helped me a lot, but for building a bicycle frame it's not a secret that practice is the key.

Before I started with frame building, I restored a classic car. A Puch Haflinger, an Austrian off road “vehicle” with a very unique chassis. I enjoyed that restoration, but it really brought me to my limits. When the body came back from sand blasting it looked like a sieve for pasta. There was hidden rust under the numerous layers of paint all over and after sand blasting there were just holes. The guy who did the sand blasting left me with a regretful “good luck, you'll need it” shake hand, and it took me more than one year to get this fixed. I did the whole repair and TIG welding by myself, and this was a really good experience for welding thin steel plate.
    When this restoration was finished I was really happy but also fed up in equal measure with that kind of work.

That was the time I focused back on cycling. I was always cycling since I was a child, sometimes more sometimes less. Cycling and alpine skiing are my absolute favorite kind of sports. I've been dreaming of a Titanium bike for a long time because of this puristic look of the material but I never bought one. And then I started to read the Selberbruzzler-thread. Motivated by these guys I took the decision to start frame building. Of course I started with steel but with that crazy idea in my mind: one day I'll build a Titanium frame. My first frame was crap. I've really learned my lesson about the seat stay cluster on that frame. The second frame, a cross bike, was good and I was riding it for more than a year without any issues.

One day I contacted Darren Crisp, and he kindly sent me a box of Ti-drops so I was able to start my first attempts on welding Titanium. Thank you Darren! And thanks to Velocipede Salon and the frame builders collective for the provided information about welding Titanium. After some practice I found out how that material has to be treated and I started with my first Titanium frame. A road bike I'm still riding today. A dream came true!

Currently I've built 8 frames, four out of steel and four out of Titanium. All TIG welded. Frame no. 9 is in design today. I have to keep practising, my welds are getting better and it doesn't get boring! For me there is nothing better than building and riding my own bike. I like that!
    Titanium is a great material. It's expensive, one is forced to work absolutely clean and any failure comes up immediately after welding - but it's definitely worth it.

The Selberbruzzler thread and the persons behind all that are still a source of inspiration and motivation for me, always with this unique kind of humor that makes it all so very special. I hope I can give something back by sharing my knowledge.

So let’s see what the future will bring...

Thanks for reading!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will add some pictures here..

This was my second frame which I have built in Winter 2011/2012. Spirit for Lugs and stainless Llewellyn stuff. All mirror polished. Ulrich warned me about the idea to polish a bottom bracket but I ignored his advice. Never did bottom brackets again.

..and not every attempt to do it right ended up in success. Shit happens..

Finally got finished:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love it. Mad props to you for your transparency. Thanks atmo!

Quote Originally Posted by Noize View Post
    ..and not every attempt to do it right ended up in success. Shit happens..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it was our show-bike for the ehbe 2012 (european handmade bycicle exhibition)
    I also wanted to polish the stainless bottom bracket shell for my track frame but i gave up bevor even starting.
    great job noize!

Quote Originally Posted by Noize View Post
    Will add some pictures here..

This was my second frame which I have built in Winter 2011/2012. Spirit for Lugs and stainless Llewellyn stuff. All mirror polished. Ulrich warned me about the idea to polish a bottom bracket but I ignored his advice. Never did bottom brackets again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that looks like Wieselburger!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you are right!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool that you guys got together to make it happen.

I've just recently built my #1. I read everything I could find on the internet for several years before finally firing up the torch.

Do you have a link to the thread on the german forum?
    Brian Earle
    North Vancouver, BC
    Built a few frames in my garage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast