Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cell phone thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default cell phone thread

Hey isn't there a cell phone thread already? I need to get a new cell in the next several days and figured I'd better do some homework. Any reason to get anything other than a Samsung Galaxy S5?
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: cell phone thread?

A friend who stays much more on top of these things noted the OnePlus One, due out... now-ish, would be his pick for an Android next time. $300-$350 outright, not tied to a carrier. I'm waiting for more info to roll out; you may not be able to get one on your time frame.

I also have been so astonished at the physical abuse that my S2 has survived (I dropped it while doing the garage roof, more than once... admittedly with a case) that I'm terrified to get anything other than a Galaxy, and still terrified that the S5 won't have my current phone's irrational durability.

Jesse Burkett
    Clawing my way to the middle. Of the back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

quite happy with my htc one (personal) and htc one m8 (work). I like the htc sense skin. these are my 3rd and 4th htc android's and I've been nothing but pleased with each one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

though, why isn't there a quality v-salon forum specific app for the android yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post
    though, why isn't there a quality v-salon forum specific app for the android yet?
    Or for the iPhone. I've had way more luck just using the mobile web version on my phone than with any Forum apps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Or for the iPhone. I've had way more luck just using the mobile web version on my phone than with any Forum apps.
    people still use those cute little things?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had great luck with the Galaxy and all other Samsung products we have (kids' Chromebooks, tablets & TVs). Mine took some drops, too - but ultimately ended up in the bottom of the koi pond at Omaha zoo. I temporarily replaced it (7 months ago) with a cheap T139 flippy that fits great in my jersey or pants pocket, but its features limit me to playing the demo version of Tetris for about 90 seconds. I'll likely replace with a couple old S or S2s because I don't care to carry a tablet around with me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure do. They're totes adorbs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I like about the iPhone design over the Galaxys is that it's easier to hold having the hard edges. The aerodynamics of the Galaxy series often makes for slippery one-handed jersey pocket insertion and extraction. And while sitting, it tends to slide out of your cargo short pocket into large bodies of water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nierman View Post
    One thing I like about the iPhone design over the Galaxys is that it's easier to hold having the hard edges. The aerodynamics of the Galaxy series often makes for slippery one-handed jersey pocket insertion and extraction. And while sitting, it tends to slide out of your cargo short pocket into large bodies of water.
    And for those of us who don't have large hands, I can actually use the iPhone with one hand instead of needing both to hold the Galaxy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People actually carry around those tablet sized android phones? How do those things fit into your jersey pockets?

For forum apps - ForumRunner works just fine for me. I have to search for Vsalon every few times - but the browsing/reading/navigating/commenting is just fine.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

quite happy with my htc one (personal)...
    I have one of these as well and I do like it.
    Bill Showers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nexus 5. Pure Andriod, no stupid 'skins' and free apps to junk up your experience. This is the first phone I've ever been more than indifferent towards. It's great - fast; all-day battery life; decent camera (see the ride threads); and just so, so easy to use.

Highly recommended.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm gonna be "that guy" and say the best bike phone of all time was the Nokia N82.

• Decent enough camera
    • Camera auto launches when you open the lens cover
    • Physical camera shutter button
    • Swappable battery for really long rides
    • Vector based maps so you can store the entire US on the phone and not need an internet connection for navigation.
    • Small and rugged
    • Excellent radios

It seems like the iPhone is the only thing going these days that is nice AND "small". I really liked the form factor of the original Lumias but if I'm going to get sucked into an ecosystem it's not going to be that one.
    Zuzu’s pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My iPhone 5 just got a speck on the camera sensor. Apple told me if it had happened during the warranty period, they would have given me a new phone. But I am about 4 months out of that, so I am stuck with a speck on the camera sensor. Shows up in every photo. Evidently a problem with iPhone 5 cameras. Oh well. I am really not into post-processing all my phone snaps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Phone reviews never tell you how easily services are integrated.

OnePlus One looks great on paper, but no one knows in real life.

Hence Nexus 5. Having the hardware guy and software guy under the same umbrella pays dividends in UI.

re: durability - look at a phone from 5 years ago. Many have protective cases built in. In the interest of lightness mfgs. have made phones more fragile. Add a $7 bumper case - drop it and get directions to In-n-Out simultaneously.

*pls. note this is not an oppty. for G-flame.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My employer finally relented so this will be my first smart-phone, I've been using the same G'zOne for about 4 years now. The nuances between operating systems will be mostly lost on me.
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Nexus 5. Pure Andriod, no stupid 'skins' and free apps to junk up your experience. This is the first phone I've ever been more than indifferent towards. It's great - fast; all-day battery life; decent camera (see the ride threads); and just so, so easy to use.

Highly recommended.
    This. This this this. The Nexus 5 is the best Android phone out there. I was a very happy user of the Galaxy Nexus until, ~3 years later, I found the battery draining very quickly and it started to crash several times a day. I just got an HTC One M8 and it's a nice phone but has too much Verizon shit on it that I can't uninstall. Get the Nexus 5.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Musgrave View Post
    My employer finally relented so this will be my first smart-phone, I've been using the same G'zOne for about 4 years now. The nuances between operating systems will be mostly lost on me.
    It won't tho. It's the dif btwn headaches and "hey it just works." Simple stuff like sharing photos, making quick lists.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While on the topic of cell phones; I finally relented and listened to my wife about switching plans. We both are using ting now, and our bill has dropped from 150$ to about 50$ a month for us both. It basically piggybacks off of Sprint's network, and charges based on minutes, text messages, and data usage. I am on wifi mainly, but was worried about data usage when on my bike and listening to pandora. As of now it has been working quite well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast