Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Summer vacation time

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Summer vacation time

We are going to be in London in July. Watching some tour is already on tap. Thinking of spending a couple of days out of the city. Two places that we are considering are Bristol and the Isle of Man.
    Any thoughts/suggestions on either if these locations or anywhere else that we should consider?

London suggestions for food/drink/sights also encouraged!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Summer vacation time

606 Club on 90 Lots Road for an old time Jazz club experience. Sometimes it feels like I walked into David Lynch remaking Blue Velvet

Saturday morning hit the Farmers Market in the square by Satchi Art Gallery near Sloan Square on Kings Road. Depending on the exhibit, hit the gallery afterwards.

I think London has really good Lebanese food. I'd definitely do one night of Lebanese.

If you are not sick of the english countryside by this time, I'd take the train from Victoria to Brighton and then go for a walk in the South Downs near Devil's Dyke.
    I'd also go up to Walltown Crag to see Hadrian's wall north just because it is Hadrian's wall.

I also am fond of Dunkerton's Organic Cider. It's a nice change from drinking beer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We usually buy my London-based bro-in-law gift cards at Christmas for new entrants to the Michelin bib gourmand list.

This year we got him one for A. Wong in Victoria (traditional Chinese food) which he raved about.
    And also Grain Store in St Pancras, which he said was very good despite the fact that we bought it not knowing it is a vegetarian joint.

If you're up for getting out of the city a ways- the Yorkshire Dales and N York Moors are pretty cool. And if you get up that way you should check out the Starr Inn (Helmsley) and the Black Swan.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isle of Man tt
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

go up and out for a jaunt to cambridge and walk through king's college to see the finest high gothic cathedral ever, the dons (and american semester students like me) walking the pathways (for gods sakes, not the grass!), grab a pint off abbey ale and then go punting on the cam. dont fall in though - smells like the tradesmans entrance

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In London, go to Condor Cycles and feed Gattonero.

Cheap good eats in London, any Wagamama.

The Photographer's Gallery always has good stuff, though check their exhibition schedule to make sure you aren't betwixt and between.

Also Whitechapel Gallery. Excellent.

Old Spitalfields Market can be fun. Nearby to Whitechapel.

The restaurant at the top of the Tate Modern is actually very good. And the art there is good too.

Look for Abeno. Nice Japanese omelet restaurant. Good and cheap for lunch or dinner.

Go to Brighton and stay in the Grand Hotel and watch Quadrophenia on the telly.