User Tag List

Thread: BCAD SPECS for Road Life S bend stays?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default BCAD SPECS for Road Life S bend stays?

Hello there...

Does anyone have the correct specs for the S bend life curves for input into BCAD?

Thanks a ton.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: BCAD SPECS for Road Life S bend stays?

What does that mean? The stay chain connects the dots between the bb and the dropouts.
    Can't you just set up the frame fixture for drop and length, and then cut the stays so that
    they fit between the two points? That's what I do atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    What does that mean? The stay chain connects the dots between the bb and the dropouts.
    Can't you just set up the frame fixture for drop and length, and then cut the stays so that
    they fit between the two points? That's what I do atmo.
    It means that when one is speaking with contractual builders one doesn't want to leave anything open for interpretation on a BCAD sheet. Thanks for the help. Of course I know how to set them up on a frame fixture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Adam,

does that help?

Ulrich
    Ulrich Vogel Fahrradrahmenbau, Bamberg, Germany
    Site
    Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Eldridge View Post
    It means that when one is speaking with contractual builders one doesn't want to leave anything open for interpretation on a BCAD sheet. Thanks for the help. Of course I know how to set them up on a frame fixture.
    You're welcome. Even still, why does the curve have an affect on the drawing if all the piece does is connect one part on the left to another on the right atmo?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The curve affects clearance and some guys prefer computer aided design - not trial and error.

Ulrich
    Ulrich Vogel Fahrradrahmenbau, Bamberg, Germany
    Site
    Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    You're welcome. Even still, why does the curve have an affect on the drawing if all the piece does is connect one part on the left to another on the right atmo?
    BCad not only shows the L-t-R connection of drop out to seat tube, but gives you the ability to do an overhead view. Knowing or manipulating the radius, length and depth of the bends can allow you to manipulate the stay and optimize lay out. For running a batch of bikes this can help with stay selection (length or looking at the appropriateness of a stock shape), and can help the person doing the drawing communicate with the person doing the fab where they want those bends to be relative to the the span.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    BCad not only shows the L-t-R connection of drop out to seat tube, but gives you the ability to do an overhead view. Knowing or manipulating the radius, length and depth of the bends can allow you to manipulate the stay and optimize lay out. For running a batch of bikes this can help with stay selection (length or looking at the appropriateness of a stock shape), and can help the person doing the drawing communicate with the person doing the fab where they want those bends to be relative to the the span.
    I didn't realize someone else was making his frames, until he mentioned subcontracting that is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Ulrich!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Props to BikeCad, it's a darn useful program. I encourage all to purchase the pro version. It's a great help for cutting tube miters to length on machine jigs, I made my own main tube miter jig and if bikecad says the top tube should be 544.3mm C-C that's what it is in the jig, perfect every time. It's also a great help for fatter tired bikes especially 29r+ and fat tires 4" plus, as the layout of the chainstays and the chainrings can be problematic. Don Ferris is doing wonders with his framemaking jigs and many of his latest improvents center on the chainstay layouts and wheel modeling. The toughest clearance issues for me so far have been the 3" Knard tire with a 73mm bottom bracket. It's very finicky as to placement and dimpling and bending. The fat tires seem to be easier with the 100mm bb and the 170mm axles. And Brent has been exemplary in his personal customer service. If I ever have a question, or a bug or a new feature to request, he is always prompt with a reply.
    cheers
    andy