Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: eh? open letter to nahbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: eh? open letter to nahbs

-- sure puts a smile on my face to know the "the man who made the hand made..," just makes it better made to me..

ronnie, will drink some fresh squeezed minute maid in the wee morn hrs time change, with a smile..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've said it in my reply to VN; NAHBS is about forming and maintaining relationships.

One thing I have noticed, however, is the following; WB is located in SoCal. How many builders from SoCal attend the show? 2-3, maybe? That might be who they should be directing their open letter to, is the builders from SoCal.... just my ever-so-humble opinion. Support your local businesses...

DW

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been 3 or 4 days and I'm really surprised nobody has pointed out that there are no stories about NAHBS on VN or Cyclingnews that are about Frames or the show in general. Where is the buz for the show if the only clickable link is from or about a company who didn't even buy a booth? I think this manufactured drama is likely hiding an inconvenient truth, the show is losing its media draw or the marketing of the show isn't isn't what it used to be. Without the open letter there would be nothing, literally nothing. I think many folks reading VN and the WB thing are learning for the first time that NAHBS is next week and that has me really scratching my head. Why is there a vacuum? Who'd really care about this if the WB letter was in a sea of NAHBS stories?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for pointing that out, Jonathan. I am sure you aren't the only one who has noticed a lack of buzz. I've noticed and its bothering me.

I have asked several members of the media to arrive in Charlotte the day before set up to discuss this very issue. I have confirmations from 8 of the regular media outlets and 4 more are trying to make it work so they can be there.

We did experience some PR changes last fall, and they have left us scrambling to catch up. However, we do have 80+ media badges already spoken for and more continue to sign up daily.

I am working on correcting this issue.

DW

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately I can't attend the show this year (I went to the Sacramento show and it was amazing) so the media coverage is all I get and although VN has been quiet, I have been really enjoying the mini-bios/Q&As that Bikerumor has been doing for a while leading up to the show.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    It's been 3 or 4 days and I'm really surprised nobody has pointed out that there are no stories about NAHBS on VN or Cyclingnews that are about Frames or the show in general. Where is the buz for the show if the only clickable link is from or about a company who didn't even buy a booth? I think this manufactured drama is likely hiding an inconvenient truth, the show is losing its media draw or the marketing of the show isn't isn't what it used to be. Without the open letter there would be nothing, literally nothing. I think many folks reading VN and the WB thing are learning for the first time that NAHBS is next week and that has me really scratching my head. Why is there a vacuum? Who'd really care about this if the WB letter was in a sea of NAHBS stories?
    this in general

have you seen the coverage of the largest show anywhere in the world, i suppose the media can only take so much cnc machined wheat with the absolutely bonkers chaff
    the taiwanese produce every year but at taipei theres eff all to show for it in the media outlets

I know one of our clients recentley had a discussion with me about why he wasnt attending one of the 4 shows put on by the distributors to showcase their product in this country.....in all honesty he said for what it costs he would be better flying a load of journos somewhere and getting marketing attention for his own product

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mcdermid View Post
    have you seen the coverage of the largest show anywhere in the world, i suppose the media can only take so much <cut>

We should throw Padraig some hits atmo -

NAHBS #10 : Red Kite Prayer

One detail I think that escapes many NAHBS attendees is the way
    the combination of the event and digital media has elevated the
    quality of framebuilding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a couple of thoughts about this thread and here they are;

Mike, I can see your point and somewhat agree with it. NAHBS has been a wonderful marketing tool for framebuilders who choose utilize it "on the cheap". I am not wanting to get into the whole "NAHBS is too expensive for me" argument, because if you compare NAHBS to just about any other show in any other industry, our booth rates are sometimes half or even less than half of what other shows charge and the media represented there is sometimes 1-1. The media are there, give them a story!

Since no framebuilder working at the bench that I know of has the ability to fly in the media, NAHBS is the next best thing. Strategically placed in Feb or March, when there isn't too much else going, NAHBS attracts loads of media and we always generate tons of press.

Also, In going over my earlier reply to Jonathan, I wanted to edit my post but apparently, I don't know where the little button to edit post went to?
    Here's what I wanted to add.

NAHBS lack of media buzz pre-show falls on one person, me. I went through some changes last year in my personal life and it took a while for me to come out of the darkness back into the light. NAHBS had lost its registration manager in Lesley and I had lost my partner. Yeah, I know my personal life shouldn't affect my business life, but you know what? It did. I take full responsibility for missing the boat when it came to pushing for the buzz. I was overwhelmed and very hurt. Life happens and I let it consume me. I let go of the reigns for too long and now its time I grab them and steer NAHBS back on course.

I am more focused than ever before on making NAHBS a better ROI for its exhibitors for this and future shows. Again, I am meeting with several media on Wednesday to work out a year round plan.

Thanks for listening.

DW

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    We should throw Padraig some hits atmo -

NAHBS #10 : Red Kite Prayer
    If I took JEC as another example it's Europe's top composites show very little that's new or not old hat being pushed like crack by desperate dealers, hence little point in going, if you have an awesome product people will in the words scripted for Liam Neeson "find you"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slapshot View Post
    I had a couple of thoughts about this thread and here they are;

Mike, I can see your point and somewhat agree with it. NAHBS has been a wonderful marketing tool for framebuilders who choose utilize it "on the cheap". I am not wanting to get into the whole "NAHBS is too expensive for me" argument, because if you compare NAHBS to just about any other show in any other industry, our booth rates are sometimes half or even less than half of what other shows charge and the media represented there is sometimes 1-1. The media are there, give them a story!

Since no framebuilder working at the bench that I know of has the ability to fly in the media, NAHBS is the next best thing. Strategically placed in Feb or March, when there isn't too much else going, NAHBS attracts loads of media and we always generate tons of press.

Also, In going over my earlier reply to Jonathan, I wanted to edit my post but apparently, I don't know where the little button to edit post went to?
    Here's what I wanted to add.

NAHBS lack of media buzz pre-show falls on one person, me. I went through some changes last year in my personal life and it took a while for me to come out of the darkness back into the light. NAHBS had lost its registration manager in Lesley and I had lost my partner. Yeah, I know my personal life shouldn't affect my business life, but you know what? It did. I take full responsibility for missing the boat when it came to pushing for the buzz. I was overwhelmed and very hurt. Life happens and I let it consume me. I let go of the reigns for too long and now its time I grab them and steer NAHBS back on course.

I am more focused than ever before on making NAHBS a better ROI for its exhibitors for this and future shows. Again, I am meeting with several media on Wednesday to work out a year round plan.

Thanks for listening.

DW
    Don I ain't knocking nahbs it's on the list of things to experience.....
    I just wrote something re another trade show and it's just how I see it no aggro intended, just a view that the press seem to do what suits them to a degree, my comments re taipei stem from most of what I've seen is anodised and machined or so off the wall it's like who let that get to even cutting a mold.....again just an observo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess a couple points...

Firstly relating the show and media, pretty much everyone that works in cycling media have the show on their radar. And most with any depth understand the changes in Don's life and with the personnel. I think the media attendance this year will be just fine... I liked working with Lesley when P Brady couldn't make it. It was a pretty time consuming thing to judge but it also showed the inner workings of putting NAHBS together and IT AINT EASY PUTTING THIS TOGETHER... It's a ton of work and a took hell of a lot of massaging to succeed at putting something on for the public as well as setting this all up to the satisfaction of the BIG range of personalities that make up the exhibitors.

There were quite a few rules and regs and judging curves etc that have happened over the years to get to where the show is today...

It's with those curves and rule changes and judging quips in mind that I Pref my second point.

NAHBS is absolutely defined by some of the early rules / requirements / definition tweaks that brought it to where it is now...

I've been through several shows and have reasonable relationships with a few of the builders that have been around since very early on.

I listened to builders complain about some of the things that they felt didn't deserve to be on the floor as well as people that put together projects and then felt slighted because they were disallowed.

Lots of media talked with several builders and component suppliers quite a bit about what defined "hand made". And it was no small part of a lot of conversations when those rules changed as needed. Don is very lucky to have extremely short hair because there was simply no pleasing everyone. Had he a full head, he would have torn it out...

So that brings me back round to Wheelbuilders letter.

It says about the show: "NAHBS showcases the intersection of form, function, innovation, and quality craftsmanship of the handbuilt community."

And about the builders...: "Handbuilt bikes are often referred to as the heartbeat of the bike industry"

And about the frames: "make riders faster, more comfortable, tune the road feel of the bicycle as a whole — as well as being beautiful and aesthetically unique"

So the second point (in a couple parts...)

I don't get how a "Hand Built" doesn't matter for wheels when it was all that mattered and such a hot button that it virtually defined NAHBS. And given the tone of the letter and it's doing nothing but complimenting the show and it's craftsmen, I have no idea how that's being taken as negative...

I'm not exactly anyone's definition of important media and while I've built a couple things that passed as bikes, I am no "builder". And maybe there's a reason for that... I'm just too stupid to figure out why a group of people can (quite rightfully) go hog wild over qualifying a product as "Hand Built" and then not only take a tone as if "Hand Built" doesn't matter when it comes to a critical piece of the ride puzzle but follow it up with feeling insulted that someone might suggest it in an open letter that compliments their work as well as it's showplace...

That letter was simply asking for the consideration from great builders at the definitive show for their product to use custom wheel builders...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be more productive,I think the terms handmade/handbuilt/etc. vs. robot should be dropped in favor of custom vs. "off the rack" in this conversation. NAHBS is a show where builders display the level of customization available from their shops. Some offer more options than others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ergott View Post
    To be more productive,I think the terms handmade/handbuilt/etc. vs. robot should be dropped in favor of custom vs. "off the rack" in this conversation. NAHBS is a show where builders display the level of customization available from their shops. Some offer more options than others.
    I don't think that's as true as some, and even counting some effbuilders, would like to you to believe. The level of customization, as you call it, is the design sense, the DNA, and the experience each entity brings. It's far, far less about options, colourways, and multitudes of places where stainless can be added, and more about the vision each man (woman) has regarding what he will actually offer and do for the client. It's never been about custom, customization, or options. It's always been about the person making the bicycle being the one whose name is above the booth, and on the name tag you're looking at as you shake his hand. In a nutshell, it's about quality goods made by people who produce them at a slower pace than the per-ordained number that the show deemed correct to define its niche. PS My wheel supplier of choice, Cole Wheels, makes all of its products by hand, and has been at NAHBS for four years. As a matter of fact, NAHBS is where I first saw them, and my relationship with the brand has been excellent since the very first day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    I don't think that's as true as some, and even counting some effbuilders, would like to you to believe. The level of customization, as you call it, is the design sense, the DNA, and the experience each entity brings. It's far, far less about options, colourways, and multitudes of places where stainless can be added, and more about the vision each man (woman) has regarding what he will actually offer and do for the client. It's never been about custom, customization, or options. It's always been about the person making the bicycle being the one whose name is above the booth, and on the name tag you're looking at as you shake his hand. In a nutshell, it's about quality goods made by people who produce them at a slower pace than the per-ordained number that the show deemed correct to define its niche. PS My wheel supplier of choice, Cole Wheels, makes all of its products by hand, and has been at NAHBS for four years. As a matter of fact, NAHBS is where I first saw them, and my relationship with the brand has been excellent since the very first day.
    We've all seen bikes that are customer driven and f-builder driven and everything in between. That's the beauty of the show. There's a builder for almost every type of customer out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WB.com might take this to the bank.

i'm only bringing 1 complete to this years show. the wheels are on that bike for 2 reasons. 1, customer requested a specific wheel/vendor. 2, as luck would have it, the vender actually reached out to me personally with an email(not form letter) and a phone call and the wheels were on my doorstep within 4 working days.

were they hand built in the US? yes.

if a vendor has a case, they should reach out specifically and directly to the builder whos product is aligned accordingly and strike that deal.

fwiw, the vendor i am working with HAS a booth at the show and when people have specific questions about outfitting a Crumpton with said kit, well they can talk directly to the PM in charge of that product and i can keep talking frames. make sense to me.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" —Justin Robinson
    "Mastery before Creativity"—Nicholas Crumpton 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like you're doing exactly what Wheelbuilder suggested...

He's not saying use him (though I don't think he would mind it...). He's saying use Hand-built / spec wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PezTech View Post
    Sounds like you're doing exactly what Wheelbuilder suggested...

He's not saying use him (though I don't think he would mind it...). He's saying use Hand-built / spec wheels.
    Not to take this circular again, but what wheels at NAHBS are not hand-built atmo?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going out on a limb to say that Nick is talking about Boyd. Just a guess since I rode with the two and they got a change to chat in person. Nice paring. If I'm letting any sort of cat out of the bag it wasn't my intention and this information can be deleted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So who's gonna go through and count the number of Spinelli/ HED/ Speed Dream/ local guy/ non-wheelbuilder.com wheels at NAHBS?

Quote Originally Posted by letter from wb.com
    If you need help in this department, give us a call

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Dustin View Post
    So who's gonna go through and count the number of Spinelli/ HED/ Speed Dream/ local guy/ non-wheelbuilder.com wheels at NAHBS?
    It would be an easier task counting the non-handmade wheels there atmo. Zero.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast