User Tag List

Thread: Will a BB adapter similar to this save a frame that's otherwise toast?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Will a BB adapter similar to this save a frame that's otherwise toast?

I know this doesn't do what I ask. My question is would something similar work to fix a frame that has had it's BB threads knackered?

I imagine a shop tool that would ream out the rest of the bad threading so that you could press one of these in. The two sides screw in together to stay in place. Then you press the outboard BB bearings into it. Is there enough material in let's say an aluminium BB to ream out the threads and still have enough strength for this? I say aluminium since that's the type of frame most likely to have the threads crossed, but this would work for any threaded BB. I think even if there is less material in the BB after boring it out you would gain back the integrity of the BB since the screwed in section will act as a sleeve and support things. I don't know if the welded areas would be the problem.

Am I missing something obvious why this wouldn't work? Perhaps worth pursuing something like this and offering it up?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Will a BB adapter similar to this save a frame that's otherwise toast?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right, but for outboard BB.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Will a BB adapter similar to this save a frame that's otherwise toast?

that's rad. you wouldn't even need to fuss with all of the old threading. Just enough to let that in.

I like it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Off topic: What press is that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe Wheels Manufacturing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am going to make an assumtion that the frame is an english BB, if so it is easy to ream and thread to itilian
    Sam Markovich

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In one particular situation I saw an alloy BB that I was told by a framebuilder didn't have enough shell material to do so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ergott View Post
    I believe Wheels Manufacturing.
    It is, the basic version but works as well as the "pro", which has a blank zone before the thread in the handle, so when you undo it spinning fast, handles don't fall.
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sam;58 142
    I am going to make an assumtion that the frame is an english BB, if so it is easy to ream and thread to itilian
    "fairly" easy on alluminium, provided the shell is thick enough. To be done at own's risk, and the very last resort.
    Impractical on MTB's, tho. Is there any cranks that would have an Italian b.b.?

Quote Originally Posted by ergott View Post
    I know this doesn't do what I ask. My question is would something similar work to fix a frame that has had it's BB threads knackered?

I imagine a shop tool that would ream out the rest of the bad threading so that you could press one of these in. The two sides screw in together to stay in place. Then you press the outboard BB bearings into it. Is there enough material in let's say an aluminium BB to ream out the threads and still have enough strength for this? I say aluminium since that's the type of frame most likely to have the threads crossed, but this would work for any threaded BB. I think even if there is less material in the BB after boring it out you would gain back the integrity of the BB since the screwed in section will act as a sleeve and support things. I don't know if the welded areas would be the problem.

Am I missing something obvious why this wouldn't work? Perhaps worth pursuing something like this and offering it up?
    Press-fits BB go on much bigger shell ID.
    Trek's BB86 or BB90 have 37.0mm, but are wide enough to not accept any outboard.
    A standard BB30 has 42.0, a PF30 has 46.0
    Shimano PF ("BB90") has 41.0.
    So those Press-fit b.b. that screw onto each other (like Praxis Works) are sized to those standards.
    I cannot see how can you ream to 42.0mm a frame that has a 34.7mm ID, as per BSA thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post
    It is, the basic version but works as well as the "pro", which has a blank zone before the thread in the handle, so when you undo it spinning fast, handles don't fall.
    That's really the basic one? Damn. Looks better than I thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"fairly" easy on alluminium, provided the shell is thick enough. To be done at own's risk, and the very last resort.
    Impractical on MTB's, tho. Is there any cranks that would have an Italian b.b.?
    I'm pretty sure Pinarello has continued to build such travesties, but remember that the MTB cranks don't care if your external cups are branded for road

So those Press-fit b.b. that screw onto each other (like Praxis Works) are sized to those standards.
    I cannot see how can you ream to 42.0mm a frame that has a 34.7mm ID, as per BSA thread.
    there's enough room between the 34.7mm threads and a 24mm spindle to concoct a praxis-style solution for a smaller diameter

but I don't see why anyone would bother to develop such a thing given how hard it is to fuck up BSA threads with external cups, and the easier fix of tapping out to Italian threads

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tap out to Italian, then epoxy in Ceeway's Italian to BSA thread inserts. Done this at least 25 times, zero problems so far

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Dustin View Post
    That's really the basic one? Damn. Looks better than I thought.
    AFAIK the shaft and drifts are the same, the handles change.
    It works, can give some pretty good pressure, even too much if you're not careful.
    I like the machining of the thread, it is good. You can undo the handles and make them spin a lot, tapping with the fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blasdelf View Post
    I'm pretty sure Pinarello has continued to build such travesties, but remember that the MTB cranks don't care if your external cups are branded for road

From 34.7 to 36.0 you're taking off something like 0.65mm which I would take into accounts....
    I'm not saying cannot be done, in fact I've done it a few times; just saying that it cannot "always" be done

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the fancy press. Definitely high quality and worth the money.

I guess so long as there are other/better options, my idea/thought isn't worth pursuing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, the fancy one I quite dig. Mainly because of the threads. Didn't realize the basic used the same. Makes it a lot more attainable for me.