Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Flux coated rods

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Flux coated rods

Anybody have any luck brazing with flux coated rods as opposed to using paste flux? Pros and cons?

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Flux coated rods

I wouldn't use it. I have. That's why I wouldn't atmo. Paste only. So, what is your experience with the product?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    I wouldn't use it. I have. That's why I wouldn't atmo. Paste only. So, what is your experience with the product?
    Thanks Richard. I have limited experience with it in some former steel work that I've done. It works well for plate welds and such. Was wondering how it would do with thin bike tubes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bikecycology View Post
    Thanks Richard. I have limited experience with it in some former steel work that I've done. It works well for plate welds and such. Was wondering how it would do with thin bike tubes.
    It would do very well left at the supplier's warehouse atmo. I am a huge paste flux zealot and am often not happy unless the work is buried under it first, and there's also a light film all over my wrists and forearms in case I need a dab late in the burn. #don'ttrythisathome
    Last edited by e-RICHIE; 02-22-2014 at 06:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I started building all we could source was Allstate flux coated rod (silver). Very soon my boss got a can of powder flux that we mixed with water. seemed to make things go far better and clean off easier. Very soon we were breaking off the flux coating on the rod before brazing.

I suggest you try paste flux (I like the GasFlux stuff) and see for your self. Maybe try uncoating your rod too. Are you talking about silver or brass/bronze rod? Andy.
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bikecycology View Post
    Anybody have any luck brazing with flux coated rods as opposed to using paste flux? Pros and cons?
    I had a lot of trouble sourcing any brazing rods locally, and the ones I could obtain are various Rothenberger rolot coated ones. One shop that was carrying them had closing sale at huge discount.

So I use them just to get some practice with basic brazing. I find flux very hard to clean of after the brazing. And also apply where it is needed while brazing.

Now I can much more easily order from ceeway, which carries good selection of rods and fluxes. I intend to scrape flux from the existing rods (where possible, some of them have flux inside), and use it with cycle design fluxes.

Here are some rods I have:

nickle silver

bronze

45% silver

12% silver

Btw, did anyone used 12% silver alloy like above for some bicycle related work?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never settle on brazing rods -if the supply sucks, continue looking.
    All flux comes off in water. The hotter, the better. Add dish soap, or vinegar, if you have persistent issues.
    If the flux coated road is all you can get, use a hammer and break off all of it.
    Flux is applied prior to turning on the torch, not applied further once it's on.

Quote Originally Posted by MrkiMedo View Post
    I had a lot of trouble sourcing any brazing rods locally, and the ones I could obtain are various Rothenberger rolot coated ones. One shop that was carrying them had closing sale at huge discount.

So I use them just to get some practice with basic brazing. I find flux very hard to clean of after the brazing. And also apply where it is needed while brazing.

Now I can much more easily order from ceeway, which carries good selection of rods and fluxes. I intend to scrape flux from the existing rods (where possible, some of them have flux inside), and use it with cycle design fluxes.

Here are some rods I have:

nickle silver

bronze

45% silver

12% silver

Btw, did anyone used 12% silver alloy like above for some bicycle related work?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can order Gasflux C-04 rods and paste flux (brass or silver) from Henry James, or Gasflux directly; top notch brazing products. Harris SafetySilv is available from Henry James too. I'm sure Ceeway has suitable stuff too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ceeway has all the cycle design fluxes apart from the brown nickel silver stuff

also sif brass and silver rods, and most of the cycle design ones too

worth a shout as peter will post just about anywhere you want him to !

NBC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use flux coat5ed Welco 17 rods quite a bit. I beat most of the flux off before using them, 'cause it is nasty stuff and doesn't soak off at all. Bronze rod, forget about it. Buy LFB from henry james or Cycle Tech. Same goes for silver.

good luck!

jn

"Thursday"