Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oakley Rx Cycling Sunglasses

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Oakley Rx Cycling Sunglasses

I need to buy a replacement for my old M-Frames, and I think I'm going to pick up some Radars.

My prescription is pretty weak and it's not really necessary for riding, but I wouldn't mind having it in the lenses if it wouldn't end up being super expensive.

So, I called Oakley to get a price… "Sorry, pricing is between you and your eye doctor."

My eye doctor isn't an Oakley dealer, so I call a local optometrist who's listed as a dealer on Oakley's website with a model number and my current prescription in hand… "Sorry, we don't quote prices over the phone. You'll have to come in for an appointment."

Putting aside for the moment the feeling that I'm on the losing side of a racket based an asymmetry of information, has anyone here gotten their prescription in a pair of Oakleys? If so, what did it end up adding to the retail price? Where you happy with the way they turned out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Oakley Rx Cycling Sunglasses

On a happier note, i've got some great condition M frames I can offer you. i guarantee they'll be less expensive than prescription Oakleys

I once had prescription Oakleys made for everyday use. They were stupid expensive at retail but I was in the biz back then so got a fair price. I know a few people who have prescription Oakleys for riding. they are either connected or wealthy. The ones who are neither connected nor wealthy use the Rudy rx inserts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caleb,

I was looking to get my Two Face with prescription photochromic through my optometrist - Can't recall exact #'s but Oakley would discount the frame by ~$40 but the lenses were going to bring the total cost to somewhere in the $900 range. I ended up getting the frames plus some Transitions lenses for a little more like $500.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oakley is owned by Luxottica so I wouldn't expect to get a deal anywhere.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're not 100% already on Oakleys you might look at Tifosi Rx. Sure they're not as blingy as Oakleys but if you got your eyeglass Rx you can order them thru a local bike shop directly. I've had a pair for like 5 years now that I paid $160 out the door for that are still in great shape. Need to get some new ones this year just to update my Rx if for nothing else.
    Last edited by TACSTS; 02-15-2014 at 12:50 AM. Reason: iPhone - fat fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure how they Rx Radars, but my Rx Half Jackets were a disaster. The little knibs that were machined out to hold the lenses in place kept breaking. And yes, they were super expensive. The whole thing burns me up because the cost to manufacture a set of frames is about $3.

Tifosi seems like a great option. I bet you could find others with a little Googleation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have Transition lenses in Oakley Split Jacket frames, cost was appx. $600; bought them in 2012 at LensCrafters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overall, I've had good experiences with Oakley rx glasses (half jacket, m-frame, older style racing jacket), but my prescription eventually went beyond what Oakley was willing to make into a lens, and Oakley won't make transition lenses, which I need (my rx Oakleys had distance rx only). Since they were made several years ago, I don't recall exactly what I paid—I'll call the shop I got them through later today and let you know. Last summer, I got a set of Rudy Project rx glasses with transition lenses from Sports Optical in Denver and couldn't be happier (I should note that SO thought that I would not be happy with how a lens with my rx would fit in an Oakley frame and didn't recommend it). Cost was in the $500-600 range, but I think that included a number of options that were upcharges.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It may not be as bad as you think. I had a regular pair of Racing Jackets (Jawbones) and I switched back to glasses from contacts. I found a local optometrist that is an Oakley dealer and got a pair of Transitions lenses for about $200. Combined with what I paid for the Racing Jackets originally, it ended up being less than $400.

Which is insane, obviously. That is ridiculous money to spend on a stupid pair of glasses. But it's not the $600+ online places will quote.

My bike shop offered a nice alternative in the glasses by Serfas. They have a prescription insert for which your regular optometrist can provide lenses. They're very affordable and surprisingly well made. But none of them fit me very well and I didn't want to deal with the prescription insert.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently got my rx Radars for ~$200. The retail price was about $440 at my local optometrist but throw in the 20% discount per my Blue Cross plan, then $100 back from Blue Cross and I was looking at $250. However, I asked for polarized which I found out they will not do for an rx that's inserted in a shield so I got $50 back. I was also told that they will not do the Radar rxs in any other lens color other than Black Iridium (and maybe clear) so couldn't get the color I really wanted unless I went with something like the Half Jacket, which didn't didn't fit my face as well. Next time I may just go back to using a wire framed Oakley like the Square Wire that I have, which lasted me 10 yrs. Not as much protection as a shield but fit great and you can get it polarized and in any tint. YMMV of course...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, guys. I should have known that the price was an, "if you have to ask…" deal. Overall, it doesn't sound worth it to me, especially given the limited lens options.

I'll probably just grab a pair of Radars off the shelf and dial up Warby Parker for some casual Rx sunglasses for driving.

Oh, and Roseyscot, we should talk about those M Frames. I'll send you a PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Putting aside for the moment the feeling that I'm on the losing side of a racket based an asymmetry of information, has anyone here gotten their prescription in a pair of Oakleys? If so, what did it end up adding to the retail price? Where you happy with the way they turned out?
    All my (sport) sunglasses are prescription with an official manufacturer lenses, not aftermarket. I've had lots, dating way back to the college.

Oakley was probably my only unfavorable experience. This was a few years back on the Eye Jackets. After about a year or so, the frames would break. I just kept replacing the frames as I had a couple of set of RX lenses. When they stopped making them, I bagged Oakley. My prescription isn't all that strong, at about -1.25 (or so), so it wasn't as if they were super thick and putting undue stress on the frames.

Currently, I have both Smith and Rudy Project prescription (sport) sunglasses. I recommend both. Normally, polarized lenses for these run between $200 - $300. I go to a local independent retailer here in Arlington so maybe he's a bit more expensive. Anyway, both Smith and Rudy Project OEM lenses are fantastic. I'm very happy with both.

P.S. For some replaceable Rudy Project ImpactX Photochromic lenses, I think I paid somewhere around $400 for the lenses. Crazy. I ended up hating them too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out Frames Direct.....they sell RX Oakleys and currently have a 30% off promotion on RX sunglasses lenses (full price for the body, lenses at 70% of what's shown on the site). They run that promotion quite often so if you miss it now it's no big deal.

I've ordered 3 pair of RX Wiley X sunglasses from them in the past - with the 30% off they were less than $175 each. I do know that they don't make the lenses for the Wiley X themselves; they send the RX to Wiley X who grind the lenses. I would guess it's the same for Oakelys but I can't say for certain.
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you don't mind Caleb, I'd like to ask a related question rather than opening a new thread. At what point do you add a Rx to your sport glasses?

I've hit that point in life where glasses are needed for reading and recently realized that it's a bit difficult to read the map features and words on my Garmin. I'm not inclined to carry my readers in my pocket while riding and wonder if it's possible to add a reading Rx to my bike glasses, or should I HTFU and not look at the Garmin!?! Do they make bifocal sunglasses…or do you just add the Rx to the entire lens?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check these guys out.
    Sports Optical ::: Sunglasses, Prescriptions Sunglasses and Exclusive 'Direct Lens Technology'
    I have not used them but I have heard nothing but good about them.
    I think that they do their own lenses for Oakley. And they are less expensive
    than an Oakley made lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are the guys I used and was referring to above. I kick myself for not getting the glasses years ago. Do a search for "sports optical" across the hall* and you'll see there are lots of fans of SO.

*they seem to be having technical difficulties, but at some point they should be back up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before I had Lasik surgery, I used Sports Optical for all my rx glasses when I was racing cars. When it comes to prescription sports eyewear, I can't imagine anyone being more knowledgeable or insightful than Bret. Consider him the Telaista of prescription sunglasses!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a pair of Oakley Half Jackets with prescription progressive bifocals from Sports Optical. I can't say enough good things about their service and helpfulness in the process. I originally bought Flak Jackets from Sports Optical but discovered they fit too loose on my head. Sports Optical gave me a good deal to trade them for the Half Jackets, which hold onto my size 7 head better.

Bobonli-I got tired of carrying my glasses in my jersey pocket. To read a map, bike computer, perform roadside repairs; it just became a hassle. My street glasses didn't provide the coverage for cycling, resulting in my eyes tearing up at higher speeds.

Tip: Make absolutely sure the frames you choose provide the fit and coverage while riding your bike. I learned the hard way with the Flak Jacket/Half Jacket issue mentioned above.

There's also a company out there offering sport (cycling style) sunglasses with "generic" reading portions in the lower section of the lens. You can get various standard prescriptions. They advertise in many of the cycling magazines; I'm sure someone here recalls the name.

IMG_6020.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    Before I had Lasik surgery, I used Sports Optical for all my rx glasses when I was racing cars. When it comes to prescription sports eyewear, I can't imagine anyone being more knowledgeable or insightful than Bret. Consider him the Telaista of prescription sunglasses!
    Hey, you're on their website!

Sports Optical ::: Exclusive 'Direct Lens Technology' for Prescription Sunglasses

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    If you don't mind Caleb, I'd like to ask a related question rather than opening a new thread. At what point do you add a Rx to your sport glasses?

I've hit that point in life where glasses are needed for reading and recently realized that it's a bit difficult to read the map features and words on my Garmin. I'm not inclined to carry my readers in my pocket while riding and wonder if it's possible to add a reading Rx to my bike glasses, or should I HTFU and not look at the Garmin!?! Do they make bifocal sunglasses…or do you just add the Rx to the entire lens?

Thanks
    This is what I do. Works fine

Optx 20/20 Hydrotac Stick-On Bifocal Lenses
    5. Endurance athletes are woefully lacking in total physical capacity.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast