Thread: Oakley Rx Cycling Sunglasses

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Oakley Rx Cycling Sunglasses

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    If you don't mind Caleb, I'd like to ask a related question rather than opening a new thread. At what point do you add a Rx to your sport glasses?

I've hit that point in life where glasses are needed for reading and recently realized that it's a bit difficult to read the map features and words on my Garmin. I'm not inclined to carry my readers in my pocket while riding and wonder if it's possible to add a reading Rx to my bike glasses, or should I HTFU and not look at the Garmin!?! Do they make bifocal sunglasses…or do you just add the Rx to the entire lens?

Thanks
    Check out something like this ....

https://www.dualeyewear.com

There are also places I have seen that make a "reader" stick on that you can add to your existing lenses. (edit ; i see Furious Fred has the direct link)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is an OT spin and I apologize, but ...

I got a set of Bolle glasses a few years ago as my optician carried them. Frame and an Rx insert. They work well, and am happy with them from that perspective, but gorgeous they are not.

Does anyone know, or know of someone who would, whether that Rx insert would fit any other Bolle frame???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boots2000 View Post
    Check these guys out.
    Sports Optical ::: Sunglasses, Prescriptions Sunglasses and Exclusive 'Direct Lens Technology'
    I have not used them but I have heard nothing but good about them.
    I think that they do their own lenses for Oakley. And they are less expensive
    than an Oakley made lens.
    Super friendly folks. I called them yesterday and if their product is as good as their customer service over the phone, I expect to be very satisfied. They are not anxious to sell stuff so much as they are to get the mission accomplished correctly. Rather than accept my existing Rx (which is about 2 yrs old), they asked that I have it updated so that they don't inadvertently get it wrong when I later find out it's not strong enough etc. Very professional. My local eyewear dealer would've just taken the script and run with it.

Thanks for the referral.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Super friendly folks. I called them yesterday and if their product is as good as their customer service over the phone, I expect to be very satisfied. They are not anxious to sell stuff so much as they are to get the mission accomplished correctly. Rather than accept my existing Rx (which is about 2 yrs old), they asked that I have it updated so that they don't inadvertently get it wrong when I later find out it's not strong enough etc. Very professional. My local eyewear dealer would've just taken the script and run with it.

Thanks for the referral.
    Most licensed opticians cannot accept an Rx that is more than 12 months old. It's technically a prescription, just like a pill and it expires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I understand that. I'm impressed that they asked up front rather than starting the sale and having to stop and reset. I think what I'm trying to say is that the customer service over the phone was better than I've experienced at my local shops that seem primarily focused ( pun intended) on sales volume. It was nice to experience

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Furious Fred View Post
    This is what I do. Works fine

Optx 20/20 Hydrotac Stick-On Bifocal Lenses
    A kayaker friend uses and recommends these. He doesn't need full prescription lenses, just reading distance, so he buys drugstore glass and sticks these in the lenses. If he drops the glasses overboard, no worries.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What benefits are you getting from the sport style frames?

I've used the same pair of Oakley Ti sunglasses for seven years now (changed the lens a few times). My frames are discontinued, but look similar to this: Oakley BOOMSTAND | Official Oakley Store

Wear them commuting, joy rides, multi-day touring, and, important to me anyway, whenever I am outside in the sun off the back as well.

Yeah, they were expensive initially. Think by now I've got my investment back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the Rx Fuel Cell (not cycling specific) and I have a fairly weak prescription, but have nothing but good things to say for the optics. Got a "deal" through the eye care program at work, but still was about $300, which is about 1/2 the polarized "list" price. I thought the note about them being intense due to the spherical optics or whatever they call it, was bs, but it's impressive. I got them for the size of the lens and use as both casual and cycling (with a croakie type thing, too much $$ there to slip off) don't slide around much. Would I do it again? Probably not, take the advice of the others, but I'm certainly happy with the end result.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew J View Post
    What benefits are you getting from the sport style frames?
    When on the bike, hands on the bars, regular glasses don't provide the coverage so I'm actually looking over the top of the frames. With sport specific glasses that's not the case.

I've found there's a difference even among models. My Oakley M-Frames sit higher on my face and provide coverage so I view through the lenses, even in the drops. It's less so with my pair of Oakley Half Jackets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just went and got a quote for Rudy Projects. Impact RX with photochromatic was Aus $945! Bruised my chin with surprise. Ill have to look elsewhere and maybe get a new prescription and look at Sport Optical or similar.

"Even my farts smell like steel!" - Diel

"Make something with your hands. Not with your money." - Dario

Sean Doyle

www.devlincc.com

https://www.instagram.com/devlincustomcycles/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139142779@N05/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by devlin View Post
    I just went and got a quote for Rudy Projects. Impact RX with photochromatic was Aus $945! Bruised my chin with surprise. Ill have to look elsewhere and maybe get a new prescription and look at Sport Optical or similar.
    Yup. I don't think this is an inexpensive path to being able to see. To paraphrase from my discussion with the Sports Optical rep: "If the sunglasses alone cost $200, why would anyone expect them to be cheaper with a Rxn added!" In looking at this on the internets and speaking with people, it seems there are two broad options: suck-it-up and spend the money because it's your eyesight and you need to see! Or, kludge together something/carry an extra pair of glasses. I already carry too much sh*t.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im a minimalust (is that a word) in the extreme so Im figuring out ways of getting them. As soon as I put them on even though they were a stock lens I was definitely hooked.

"Even my farts smell like steel!" - Diel

"Make something with your hands. Not with your money." - Dario

Sean Doyle

www.devlincc.com

https://www.instagram.com/devlincustomcycles/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139142779@N05/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok. I need some help because I'm an infrequent eyeglass buyer and never over the phone/internet. I called SO and they asked me to update my Rxn and get my PD (pupillary distance). I trundle down to the local Lens Crafters to buy my regular reading glasses and ask them to share the PD measurement they took. Disgruntled employee initially refuses, but eventually gives me the numbers. Just for giggles, I do some Googling to see how precise the measurement has to be and whether you can do it yourself. I learn that PD is frame-specific and is influenced by the design of the lens as well. That explains why my MD didn't measure it for me and the LensCrafters chick measured it with me wearing the frames.

So now I'm wondering what good does it serve to send someone a PD from one set of frames to be applied to a set of sunglasses with crazy shaped lenses. Has anyone dealt with this issue when ordering online?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd imagine they must have a way to deduce the difference between frame/lense combos for the given PD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All of the rx's that I have gotten included the pd, measured by the ophthalmologist /optometrist. When I get frames, the place I go to locally is run by an optometrist, and he measures the pd as well, and marks the lenses of the frame that I'm buying. From what I understand, the main reason for this is to get the relative height of my pupil in the lens (since I get transition lenses, it's important to have the different rx strengths start at the right level). When I ordered a frame from SO, they sent me the frame so that it could be marked (I expect for the same reason), and then I sent it back to them. Maybe they don't do that if you don't order transition lenses(?).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're a veteran, Oakley has opened up their Oakleysi.com site. Pricing is very good, to include RX. IIRC, RX lenses for M frames was around $150

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok. I need some help because I'm an infrequent eyeglass buyer and never over the phone/internet. I called SO and they asked me to update my Rxn and get my PD (pupillary distance). I trundle down to the local Lens Crafters to buy my regular reading glasses and ask them to share the PD measurement they took. Disgruntled employee initially refuses, but eventually gives me the numbers. Just for giggles, I do some Googling to see how precise the measurement has to be and whether you can do it yourself. I learn that PD is frame-specific and is influenced by the design of the lens as well. That explains why my MD didn't measure it for me and the LensCrafters chick measured it with me wearing the frames.

So now I'm wondering what good does it serve to send someone a PD from one set of frames to be applied to a set of sunglasses with crazy shaped lenses. Has anyone dealt with this issue when ordering online?
    I ordered my first pair online from Warby Parker last summer, and I was so impressed with the process that I don't see doing it any other way in the future.

I'm not really sure what all the concern over pupil distance is about for someone with a single prescription. I sent Warby Parker an iPhone picture of my prescription and they sent me a pair of glasses. No measurements of my eyes were involved. And the glasses work as well or better than the ones I used to get from Lens Crafters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
    All of the rx's that I have gotten included the pd, measured by the ophthalmologist /optometrist. When I get frames, the place I go to locally is run by an optometrist, and he measures the pd as well, and marks the lenses of the frame that I'm buying. From what I understand, the main reason for this is to get the relative height of my pupil in the lens (since I get transition lenses, it's important to have the different rx strengths start at the right level). When I ordered a frame from SO, they sent me the frame so that it could be marked (I expect for the same reason), and then I sent it back to them. Maybe they don't do that if you don't order transition lenses(?).
    I had the exact same experience with my optometrist and with Sports Optical. Sports Optical also asked for my "segment height" (I believe that's the right term). Since I wear prescription progressive bifocals, I've learned through experience that if the reading portion is too low on the lens then it feels like you're trying to focus on the tip of your nose. Measuring the segment height lets the optician locate the reading portion higher on the lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
    When I ordered a frame from SO, they sent me the frame so that it could be marked (I expect for the same reason), and then I sent it back to them. Maybe they don't do that if you don't order transition lenses(?).
    Sounds like a good approach. I will ask SO to do this or take my existing frames to the local shop for a measurement, assuming I use them. And I think my original discussion didn't contemplate transition lenses but my doc suggested I go with them rather than bifocals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I'm not really sure what all the concern over pupil distance is about for someone with a single prescription. I sent Warby Parker an iPhone picture of my prescription and they sent me a pair of glasses. No measurements of my eyes were involved. And the glasses work as well or better than the ones I used to get from Lens Crafters.
    Some light reading on the topic here. I spent a lot of time researching this and this post gets it as close to perfect without reading a textbook. It's a measurement that most people aren't aware of because it's either done by your optometrist or optician as part of the eyeglass buying process. The subject came up here because when I contacted Sports Optical, they asked for the measurement in order to make lenses.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast