Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Pots and Pans

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Pots and Pans

A frenemy made me aware of a cast iron maker. New to me, looks really good....as if I need more/better cast iron.

FINEX Cast Iron Cookware Co. |

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wonder why they felt compelled to make them all hexagonal-like ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneK View Post
    Wonder why they felt compelled to make them all octagonal-like ?
    Fixed, but yeah, likely just for differentiation.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in the market for a small dedicated egg pan and need some recommendations. Our cooking pots are an assortment of Staub and a Le Creuset or two. I bought my wife a Staub frying pan a few years back but never have been able to bond with it so it sits neglected. I think I'd like to find an older Wagner or Griswold, etc but open to other options...
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Musgrave View Post
    I'm in the market for a small dedicated egg pan and need some recommendations. Our cooking pots are an assortment of Staub and a Le Creuset or two. I bought my wife a Staub frying pan a few years back but never have been able to bond with it so it sits neglected. I think I'd like to find an older Wagner or Griswold, etc but open to other options...
    Other than the obvious a well seasoned cast iron I am having good luck with a de buyer mineral b element.
    Here is a version of what I am using: De Buyer Mineral B Element 9.5" Non-Stick Omlette Pan | Wayfair

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

in about 10 minutes, it will never look as clean as it does right now ...

IMG_4346.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You must report back. Their work looks great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gt6267a View Post
    in about 10 minutes, it will never look as clean as it does right now ...
    I've found that my BluSkillet looks even better now. To be fair, I'm not searing steaks and building up fond, but eggs, pancakes and so on seem to make it happy. Just wipe with a paper towel while the pan is still warm/hot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm really digging my staub enameled cast iron. The stuff just works. I made a homemade mac and cheese in my cocotte. The food was wonderful with some crusty areas and it cleaned up easily and beautifully. I have a braiser that I adore and a 12" fry pan incoming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
    I'm really digging my staub enameled cast iron. The stuff just works. I made a homemade mac and cheese in my cocotte. The food was wonderful with some crusty areas and it cleaned up easily and beautifully. I have a braiser that I adore and a 12" fry pan incoming.
    I like where you are going with this. For the record mac and cheese is my death bed wish. Just shovel that into my face as I draw my last breath. Seriously.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I like where you are going with this. For the record mac and cheese is my death bed wish. Just shovel that into my face as I draw my last breath. Seriously.
    Next time you come to Portland I'll make you a batch. Its more whole wheat pasta with lots of vegetables, butter, whole milk, sausage, jalapenos, and some Wisconsin and French cheeses than it is "mac and cheese". I hate to brag but the shit is killer. And I'll also throw you a few pizzas for lunch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Next time you come to Portland I'll make you a batch. Its more whole wheat pasta with lots of vegetables, butter, whole milk, sausage, jalapenos, and some Wisconsin and French cheeses than it is "mac and cheese". I hate to brag but the shit is killer. And I'll also throw you a few pizzas for lunch.
    Deal. :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have both the 28cm shallow one and the 24cm tall one, and they're both great. They live at the New York house, and when I'm there I use the shallow one more than any other vessel. Like you mention, the inner surface cleans easily. I've also found it to be quite durable. Conductivity properties and what the cool kids are doing be darned, the Stuab ECI works well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've been eyeing dutch ovens for a while, and after reading this article we decided on the Martha Stewart one. I know, I know. But it's nice and seems to work great. More surface area on the bottom than the french brands, metal knob on the lid, nice big handles on the side. Only used it twice so far. I'll report back if we ever have any issues.
    Last edited by dgaddis; 12-14-2017 at 06:10 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

years ago as a poor student, i bought a Dutch oven at Ikea (it's called the Senior now). It's not enameled inside meaning that you have to keep it seasoned but it' made in France and has held up great. ($50 for the smaller one now.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am totally in love with this stuff: Clearance on REVOL bakeware. The dutch ovens have effectively no temp limit (unlike those with plastic knobs on the lid), have basically flawless finish, and work exactly as well as their hype suggests. Some have a special bottom that lets them be used on induction tops to sear meats before putting in the oven. I only included the clearance page, so check out some of the non-sale items, too. The 'crumpled' black baking dish is amaze-balls to use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For anyone in the market for new, thick, stainless-lined copper, Mauviel must have found some boxes of their old 250c line (2.5mm copper lined with stainless, with real cast iron handles) and put them up on their website at significantly discounted prices: https://mauviel-usa.com/search?q=250c

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    For anyone in the market for new, thick, stainless-lined copper, Mauviel must have found some boxes of their old 250c line (2.5mm copper lined with stainless, with real cast iron handles) and put them up on their website at significantly discounted prices: https://mauviel-usa.com/search?q=250c
    tempted....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I own a few of their SS pieces. LOVE'em!
    I would've been $750 poorer had I'd seen that 5 piece set before they sold out.
    Pretty bummed.
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Italian made magnetic induction range required supplementing the big Staub pots and the de Beyer fry pan. Came across Cristel stainless (https://www.cristelusa.com/) at a local shop, nice French manufacturer with some cool features like removable handles and work great on the induction units. So French stove, French cookware - have my too most important food geographies coveredd.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345