Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pots and Pans

I just got the copper bug and ordered some of these:

ATELIER DU CUIVRE - COPPER WORKSHOP - Poêles et Sauteuses

The maker won France's highest award for craftsmanship, which I think qualifies it for this forum.

BTW, check out this film about the pastry section of the competition to get an idea of how tough it is: Kings of Pastry | 16 Chefs. 3 Days. 1 Chance

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Pots and Pans

Oh, I forgot to include similar things made in 'merica. They are nearly extinct, so any plug to help them survive seems warranted.

The Brooklyn makers:

American Made Copper Cookware from Brooklyn NY

aren't yet back in production, but the guys in Rhode Island:

American Made Copper Cookware for sale

are. I believe both can re-condition tin-lined pans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice stuff. Somewhere (here) there is a long thread about pots and pans worth finding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Found it -- thanks: http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum...ans-31086.html

I'm now using my first ever copper pan (the saucier from Matfer Bourgeat USA - BOURGEAT 13 PIECE COPPER COOKWARE SET - (Matfer Bourgeat) BOURGEAT COPPER COOKWARE SET (13 PIECES) - Free Shipping* CulinaryCookware.com), and have to say, it's WAY nicer than anything else I've used. Heavier by far, but the heat goes straight up through the food, rather than around the sides as it does with all my stainless and cast iron and enameled cast iron and so on. I no longer feel like I'm cooking the house as much as the food.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It really is a pleasure. Don't discount your cast iron. I'm using pans that have been in heavy rotation for many years that are amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anyone ever tried to take our 9 Qt. Staub, I'd drop it on their head. It would be just fine afterward and no worse for the wear. The recipient's head, not so much. I love that thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    It really is a pleasure. Don't discount your cast iron. I'm using pans that have been in heavy rotation for many years that are amazing.
    These guys are v-salon worthy, too. Borough Furnace I'm off to Syracuse to write an article about them in a couple of days. I fully anticipate hearing echoes of the various wonderful Smoked Out threads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ericpmoss View Post
    Found it -- thanks: http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum...ans-31086.html

I'm now using my first ever copper pan (the saucier from Matfer Bourgeat USA - BOURGEAT 13 PIECE COPPER COOKWARE SET - (Matfer Bourgeat) BOURGEAT COPPER COOKWARE SET (13 PIECES) - Free Shipping* CulinaryCookware.com), and have to say, it's WAY nicer than anything else I've used. Heavier by far, but the heat goes straight up through the food, rather than around the sides as it does with all my stainless and cast iron and enameled cast iron and so on. I no longer feel like I'm cooking the house as much as the food.
    I love my enamelled cast iron pots for just this reason. They heat the food evenly with no hot spots. Nothing does a better stew.
    Suzy Jackson
    Vanity blog: http://suzyj.blogspot.com
    Little fish bicycles website: http://www.littlefishbicycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suzyj View Post
    I love my enamelled cast iron pots for just this reason. They heat the food evenly with no hot spots. Nothing does a better stew.
    I love cast iron too. Not trying to be argumentative but cast iron's even heating capability is a bit of a myth, not unlike searing to lock in flavors, etc. Cast iron rocks for a lot of reasons , but even heat is not one of them. Again, not trying to be argumentative in any way just pointing out that when you are cooking something very sensitive to heat ( and a stew is not) you may want to reach for another arrow in your quiver.

Cast-Iron Cooking Primer | Serious Eats

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice! Pricey, for sure, but the out of stock status suggests willing buyers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ride217 View Post
    I love cast iron too. Not trying to be argumentative but cast iron's even heating capability is a bit of a myth, not unlike searing to lock in flavors, etc. Cast iron rocks for a lot of reasons , but even heat is not one of them. Again, not trying to be argumentative in any way just pointing out that when you are cooking something very sensitive to heat ( and a stew is not) you may want to reach for another arrow in your quiver.

Cast-Iron Cooking Primer | Serious Eats
    That's a setup to sell their all-clad product. I call BS.

I've been cooking most every night for a quarter century for my family. I like to imagine I'm pretty good at it. I really don't need the condescending attitude thanks.
    Suzy Jackson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The secret to enamelled cast iron is the combination of the relatively high thermal conductivity of the thick cast iron, and the very low thermal conductivity of the thin enamel.

It's very basic physics. The thermal conductivity upwards from the flame to the food is low. That across the pan is high. Result, even heating. Something no pure metal pot can ever hope to accomplish.

But it's nothing you should worry your pretty little head about. Of course I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm just mansplaining things for you. Feel free to google the term if you don't understand it.
    Suzy Jackson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

re: Borough. I've never seen a helper handle that large on a cooking surface that small, apparently designed, w/o modification from human hands, by a bot.

Artisanal, yet inelegant; difficult to achieve.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Copper is the best! An free range egg fried sunny side up in olive oil on a copper pan is a life-changing experience. I've got a set of pots and pans from these guys:

CUIVRE ALIMENTAIRE - PIERRE VERGNES CUIVRE

The copper discolours quickly with use, but you can make them bright and shiny again using a cleaner called Bar Keepers Friend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by summilux View Post
    Copper is the best! An free range egg fried sunny side up in olive oil on a copper pan is a life-changing experience. I've got a set of pots and pans from these guys:

CUIVRE ALIMENTAIRE - PIERRE VERGNES CUIVRE

The copper discolours quickly with use, but you can make them bright and shiny again using a cleaner called Bar Keepers Friend.
    So much for the "copper is expensive" meme... It's too bad that when I searched for "French copper pans", Google only showed the big-name brands pushed by US net retailers. It's the kind of thing I imagine hampers all sorts of cottage industries.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shipping to North America was quite expensive. I think it added about 30% to the price that they list online. They are not quite cottage, but definitely lots of handwork. Check out the pot making videos at the bottom of the page

French-copper-cookware

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by summilux View Post
    Shipping to North America was quite expensive. I think it added about 30% to the price that they list online. They are not quite cottage, but definitely lots of handwork. Check out the pot making videos at the bottom of the page

French-copper-cookware
    Hey those videos are great, thanks. One of the reasons I love cast iron and copper as cookware is the intimacy with the tool. They have personality. They are both, for lack of a better word, quirky. Pastry chefs tend to be nuts/superstitious/cookoo about their copper tools especially their molds and bowls and I love that. I am rooting for a resurgence of both.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not nearly cool enough to be cooking with copper but one of my favorite spice suppliers also carries Mauviel copper cookware.

Le Sanctuaire: Mauviel Copper Bronze Handle

Le Sanctuaire: Mauviel Copper Cast Iron Handle
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These guys are v-salon worthy, too. Borough Furnace I'm off to Syracuse to write an article about them in a couple of days. I fully anticipate hearing echoes of the various wonderful Smoked Out threads.
    We require a full report. That's neat.
    Suzyj said "mansplaining" heh. I appreciate the condescending attitude ;) She is right about the enamel/cast combo.

I've got a bad cookware habit, I've had guests say more than once "oh you must like to cook"? No, I don't like to cook I FUGGIN LOVE TO COOK thanks.

This thread is touching several of my habits that can never be entirely quenched.

My Mecca? Dehillerin in Paris. Sister C. takes me there when I visit and waits in a nearby cafe. It can take me hours to find the next thing to bring home. dehillerin-paris-s.jpg If you are reading this thread and clicking links you'll visit the store someday. Bring cash, they have amazing copper. My last pan was a pure copper pot for working with sugar....indispensable for making Damsen Plum Jam. I blame my parents for giving me this when I bought my first house:

What kid straight out the coal mines of S.W. Wyoming needs a friggin' poissonniere?
    Last edited by Too Tall; 02-12-2014 at 09:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These guys are v-salon worthy, too. Borough Furnace I'm off to Syracuse to write an article about them in a couple of days.
    Hmmm, $280 for a cast iron frying pan??? You are supposed to get them at garage sales and thrift shops for $2. Along with high carbon knives.

My wife bought me a Le Creuset casserole a while ago and it doesn't work any better than a no name brand enamelled cast iron pot that was a few hundred dollars cheaper.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast