Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Pots and Pans

Quote Originally Posted by summilux View Post
    Hmmm, $280 for a cast iron frying pan??? You are supposed to get them at garage sales and thrift shops for $2. Along with high carbon knives.

My wife bought me a Le Creuset casserole a while ago and it doesn't work any better than a no name brand enamelled cast iron pot that was a few hundred dollars cheaper.
    I know, right? I have no judgment as to the quality of their stuff, nor really am i all that interested in a Serious Eats style testing. They are, however, an interesting story and already a cult item.

I think though that you raise a really cool point about scoring one at a garage sale for a couple of bucks. I rarely am at a garage sale, thrift store, or the ilk, but when so forced to go i do keep my eyes peeled for cast iron and high carbon knives. In Boroughs case I think the price of the pan and/or the desire to get one do not necessarily reflect its superiority in cooking. There is an "other" that has made them extremely desirable.

You are not alone in finding a Le Creuset on par with other brands! Dutch Ovens Review - Cook's Illustrated

I do think Le Creuset is really cool, just because. I have my Mom's and it means a lot to me.
    Last edited by ride217; 02-12-2014 at 04:54 PM. Reason: grammar