Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hats Caps Chappeau

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hats Caps Chappeau

This was me at the nude beach on Martha's Vinyard.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do the caps come with the beards?
    Andrew Kimball
    Decatur, GA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prolix21 View Post
    My better half thinks caps look stupid, so there's that as well.
    Generally they're correct on most points, but when it comes to some finer points regarding Labowski-vision... "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fortyfour View Post
    Generally they're correct on most points, but when it comes to some finer points regarding Labowski-vision... "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
    Frickin' hilarious. FWIIW I randomly wandered into the Big Lebowski store located in NYC last time I was there. Somewhere around the village. Severely casual ;)

So here is the dealio with cotton caps. They wick sweat to the front and the bill acts like a big evaporative cooler AND they do all the things Wayne says. Cotton works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dugafola View Post
    i have a pretty large dome and i really like rothera's caps.

Rothera Cycling
    My team did a pretty big run of stuff from Gary. They're great. Both the all weathers and the winter caps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A one-of-a-kind oldie but goodie:

30 years old, Giordana double layered wool, with earflaps if needed. The crown's gotta be just right; the bill not too large. If it don't look euro, it don't look pro!

Giordana Sport Winter Cycling Hat by Peter Polack, on Flickr

Giordana Sport Winter Cycling Hat by Peter Polack, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post
    lettuce leaves under my cap
    Cabbage. Cabbage.

I always wear:
    Zanc cotton cap, the blue one from Rosey (3 season) or
    Rapha Cross cotton cap (3 season rain) or
    Zanc mutt hat (>25d, <40d) or
    Assos Fuguhelm (>15d, <30d) or
    Ullfrotte 400g balaclava (<15d)

The last is not a cap; it's a balaclava. The Zanc caps are amazing; I have a few spares of those.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My small VSalon cap was my favorite. I left it somewhere and can't find it. I loved it so much, and now it can never ever ever be replaced. Boo. Boo.

Josh, did I lay that on thick enough?
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wear the royal blue Zank cotton cap 90% of the time. I've gone through a total of 3 of them in 3 years and probably 20,000 miles of use. I have 5 left, should last me long enough.

On cold days (35 and below), I am a big fan of the Ibex Meru beanie. No seams to interfere with a helmet and it wicks sweat well without getting stinky.

If there is precipitation and it is cold, I'll reach for a Capo winter cap that came with a floppy bill and that I retrofitted with a firmer insert to hold up against rain or snow.

Balaclava? That's something for women, children, and men that can't grow beards, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post

If there is precipitation and it is cold, I'll reach for a Capo winter cap that came with a floppy bill and that I retrofitted with a firmer insert to hold up against rain or snow.
    The super floppy bill one that makes you wonder how warm the hat actually is? Or the thicker one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rain and wind : cotton cap bill pulled low over my glasses.
    When it's below 8° C I take to the Rapha Belgian winter hat I got years ago. Keeps me nice and warm.
    Some guys wear their caps backwards when there's wind but no rain. Under a helmet, with the bill pushing against my collar, it's most unpleasant, imo.
    No cap in warm and dry conditions...

And slightly OT... I used to pick up old jerseys on flea markets and thrift stores but never found a wool winter hat. I always found that peculiar until it dawned that "back in the day" you couldn't see a construction worker who didn't wear one when the weather got rough. When they stopped cycling the shorts and jerseys could go, but not the hat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    My small VSalon cap was my favorite. I left it somewhere and can't find it. I loved it so much, and now it can never ever ever be replaced. Boo. Boo.

Josh, did I lay that on thick enough?
    Heh. Send me your current couch location or mail drop. Not a problem. You take the small/med. not XS right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Dustin View Post
    The super floppy bill one that makes you wonder how warm the hat actually is? Or the thicker one?
    it is similar to this one: Thermo Roubaix Winter Cap | capo but with a floppy brim. i've had it for 5+ years now. found it on sale for $10 and did the brim surgery myself using remnants from an ill fitting cap

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generic (aka team branded) cotton caps work ok for most rides. I used to own 4 or 5 Rapha caps but I wore through them all and they shrink a lot, and I always forgot to buy a size up. I wash non-wool caps after every ride because they are usually soaked far beyond their saturation point. That being said - the cotton caps don't last all that long.

At this point in time, my VSalon cap that Matt gave me is the tits. I almost wear it every ride and it's held up to numerous washings already and doesn't look any different from the day I received it. Are all Walz caps like the Vsalon cap? I want more.

If it's slightly colder, I'll wear a wool cap from Octopus caps (used to be out of Columbus, OH, think they moved to CA). If I need ear coverage and it's not super cold, I have a merino Capo hat (with ear flaps). If it's sub 45, I'll usually go for my Zank winter cap ... are they Vermac made?

Verge caps (along with a lot of their other apparel) are the most uncomfortable POSs on the market.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it is similar to this one: Thermo Roubaix Winter Cap | capo but with a floppy brim. i've had it for 5+ years now. found it on sale for $10 and did the brim surgery myself using remnants from an ill fitting cap
    Ha! I bought the same one, for the same price (might have been $8) and also hated the floppy brim. Brim surgery was performed and now the brim has little holes where the plastic brim pushes through the wool. I've thought about taking it out now, but just don't feel like a surgeon any longer.

Edit: Mine actually looks a little thinner material than the photo - mine is just merino wool - yours looks warmer. Either way - floppy capo brims be damned.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    Ha! I bought the same one, for the same price (might have been $8) and also hated the floppy brim. Brim surgery was performed and now the brim has little holes where the plastic brim pushes through the wool. I've thought about taking it out now, but just don't feel like a surgeon any longer.

Edit: Mine actually looks a little thinner material than the photo - mine is just merino wool - yours looks warmer. Either way - floppy capo brims be damned.
    yeah, I think mine is thinner too. Did you get yours on a mis-marked sale from some random webstore? I remember, they were $10, and free shipping over $50, so a bunch of us tried to pool an order of 6 or 7, but then they realized the price error and would only sell me one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes and no. Walz has a technical fabric and wool but none have that center vent we had them sew from scrap wool. Pretty sweet eh?
    Generic (aka team branded) cotton caps work ok for most rides. I used to own 4 or 5 Rapha caps but I wore through them all and they shrink a lot, and I always forgot to buy a size up. I wash non-wool caps after every ride because they are usually soaked far beyond their saturation point. That being said - the cotton caps don't last all that long.

At this point in time, my VSalon cap that Matt gave me is the tits. I almost wear it every ride and it's held up to numerous washings already and doesn't look any different from the day I received it. Are all Walz caps like the Vsalon cap? I want more.

If it's slightly colder, I'll wear a wool cap from Octopus caps (used to be out of Columbus, OH, think they moved to CA). If I need ear coverage and it's not super cold, I have a merino Capo hat (with ear flaps). If it's sub 45, I'll usually go for my Zank winter cap ... are they Vermac made?

Verge caps (along with a lot of their other apparel) are the most uncomfortable POSs on the market.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, I think mine is thinner too. Did you get yours on a mis-marked sale from some random webstore? I remember, they were $10, and free shipping over $50, so a bunch of us tried to pool an order of 6 or 7, but then they realized the price error and would only sell me one.
    Mine was on Chainlove (or Bontown) - whatever it was at that time. It was right around the $10 +/- $2 range. I wish I would have bought more than one though. That's a recurring theme for things I'm wearing through.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Yes and no. Walz has a technical fabric and wool but none have that center vent we had them sew from scrap wool. Pretty sweet eh?
    That is pretty sweet - and a bummer that I can't get another. How about a white or light grey colored w/ black logo run?
    Auk's words to live by:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EH?? I've got a box of VSalon caps that are only a click away.

Mine was on Chainlove (or Bontown) - whatever it was at that time. It was right around the $10 +/- $2 range. I wish I would have bought more than one though. That's a recurring theme for things I'm wearing through.

That is pretty sweet - and a bummer that I can't get another. How about a white or light grey colored w/ black logo run?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jawn P View Post
    My team did a pretty big run of stuff from Gary. They're great. Both the all weathers and the winter caps.
    yea the winter caps are super warm. great fit. extra cozy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast