Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hats Caps Chappeau

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hats Caps Chappeau

It's almost always cool, cold or raining in Portland, so I wear the Zank hats I got from Roseyscot which actually fit my big head.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post
    If you ever move back to an area where it gets cold, don't hesitate to buy the Ibex Coppi Merino cap. Perfect, generous fit, covers the ears and has a soft short bill to keep cold air from sneaking behind the glasses. It occupies a small space in the helmet and provides a lot of warmth.

It's one of my favorite items.
    Mine is not an Ibex but it is a cycling cap with a bill and an ear flap that folds down. I think it was around $40 or so and worth it.

As to moving to a place it gets cold, that will happen someday. VA Beach is temporary for me and virtually everyone who lives there. Very transient population there. Just there for the $$$$.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Mine is not an Ibex but it is a cycling cap with a bill and an ear flap that folds down. I think it was around $40 or so and worth it.

As to moving to a place it gets cold, that will happen someday. VA Beach is temporary for me and virtually everyone who lives there. Very transient population there. Just there for the $$$$.
    I have an Ibex and my only complaint is the junction between the bill and crown connection. The seam seems to find itself right where I want to put my helmet on my head, or rather right above the brow line so it takes some adjusting to get things to sit comfortably and "just so". They could have been a lot more generous in their patterning across the panels / crown so the ear flaps actually cover the tips of my ears (yes Ibex, I'm talking to you if you are listening, so listen up), as well as fitting the seams in a way so that they lay flat with no overlap right at that critical area under a helmet. I have not found 1 single ear flapped cap to actually cover all of my ears. The tips of my ears always seem to come out. And I don't have a terribly large dome. I've seen those. Mine is not one of them...

But not to say that the Ibex cycling cap with ear flaps is not a nice cap. The weight is very nice, the merino is very soft and it sheds moisture well/keeps my head nice and warm on cold days. It breaths well as wool should.
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    Who makes 'em Eric? Nice logo btw...
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fortyfour View Post
    I have an Ibex and my only complaint is the junction between the bill and crown connection. The seam seems to find itself right where I want to put my helmet on my head, or rather right above the brow line so it takes some adjusting to get things to sit comfortably and "just so". They could have been a lot more generous in their patterning across the panels / crown so the ear flaps actually cover the tips of my ears (yes Ibex, I'm talking to you if you are listening, so listen up), as well as fitting the seams in a way so that they lay flat with no overlap right at that critical area under a helmet. I have not found 1 single ear flapped cap to actually cover all of my ears. The tips of my ears always seem to come out. And I don't have a terribly large dome. I've seen those. Mine is not one of them...

But not to say that the Ibex cycling cap with ear flaps is not a nice cap. The weight is very nice, the merino is very soft and it sheds moisture well/keeps my head nice and warm on cold days. It breaths well as wool should.
    I wish I could take a photo of mine but I'm gone from home until Feb. 2. I'll try then... Mine does go over my ears pretty well.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That one and other recent batches are from the venerable Randi Jo. I do wool and cotton. On the bike I'm generally a wool man- I get these in a great summer weight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a lot of cycling caps and wear them frequently. I orchestrated an order from Walz for our club team a couple of years ago now, and they've been great.

They're also great on sloppy cyclocross race days.

I have a 45 NRTH wool cap (the Greazy) with ear flaps - I like it a ton for cold days on the bike. 45NRTH

I recently acquired a Chuey brand cap from Bruce Gordon in wool, but haven't had the opportunity to wear it on the bike yet, as it arrived after winter set in. It fits really well under my helmet though, so I think it'll be great. Bruce Gordon Cycles — Bruce Gordon Logo "Chuey Brand" Bike Hats

I also have a number of random cotton caps (Campagnolo, etc).

walz_caps.jpgbeer_reach.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will not ride in a cotton cycling cap. It galls me that people still even make cotton caps. We've know this for many, many years: Cotton and sweat do not get along. Stupid, stupid imho atmo.

So the CoolMax Zank caps are a godsend. The new Sachs caps are too. They, and a few other CoolMax caps I've picked up over the years (hello Grinnell College!) get all my love.

Off the bike? As male pattern baldness creeps up on me I wear hats more and more.

• I've got a great wool cycling cap I won in a raffle at my kid's high school, made by a teacher (who used to work for Seven);
    • I've got a fedora that looks great when I'm in my Brooks Brothers overcoat;
    • I've got a Smith College baseball cap I've been wearing way too much.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am in the camp that never wears a cap. Certainly not a cotton cap. When it's cold I have an assos head thing that's great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A must have for every ride.

Mine's a mix of the bargain bin stuff, old pro team ones and a couple Rapha ones I bought on a lark at the SF Cycle Club. My favorite actually's probably the cap DS threw in with my frame order. Fits great and does the job.

The problem is usually finding a helmet that plays nice with a cap worn both forwards and backwards.

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    I am in the camp that never wears a cap. Certainly not a cotton cap. When it's cold I have an assos head thing that's great.
    +1. I dont think I've ever worn a cycling cap, even though I own a few. I've put them on, but the look of them just isn't for me. I have some cheapies that were handouts somewhere along the line and I have a couple nicer ones. I do have one in the my car, and I've been thinking about putting it on under my helmet "next ride," but I never reach out and grab it. I have tech beanies and headbands out the azz, and they always get the nod in cold weather. I like the wind in my hair whenever possible, so it's just the helmet in the warmer weather. On the rare occaision that I wear a hat off the bike, it's my well weathered Phillies baseball hat. I do wear smartwool beanies all the time in the winter though.

My wife has a wool castelli that's pretty nice and she'll wear it casually after a bike race; but I think thats the only traction these things get in my household.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fmbp View Post
    I've got a lot of cycling caps and wear them frequently. I orchestrated an order from Walz for our club team a couple of years ago now, and they've been great.

They're also great on sloppy cyclocross race days.

I have a 45 NRTH wool cap (the Greazy) with ear flaps - I like it a ton for cold days on the bike. 45NRTH

I recently acquired a Chuey brand cap from Bruce Gordon in wool, but haven't had the opportunity to wear it on the bike yet, as it arrived after winter set in. It fits really well under my helmet though, so I think it'll be great. Bruce Gordon Cycles — Bruce Gordon Logo "Chuey Brand" Bike Hats

I also have a number of random cotton caps (Campagnolo, etc).

walz_caps.jpgbeer_reach.jpg

That's what I have too.... The 45NRTH wool hat. Love it when it's below about 45°F.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wear a Swrve merino hat in the winter, unless it is really cold and then I wear a Patagonia balaclava and a thin Arcteryx merino hat. I like having a bill though because I can pull it down and keep the breeze out from behind my glasses. Reduces bleary eyes. I just got a Smartwool neck gaiter that I am tempted to wear around the house it is so nice, but for cycling it will likely replace the balaclava so I can wear the Swrve hat and keep the bill.

In the summer, I wear a Giro sun hat that has a longer bill than normal, which is a little dorky but because it is black underneath the bill cuts down on reflected road heat etc. I really feel cooler temp-wise when I wear it if not cooler style-wise. If I don't wear one I get a nice geometric pattern tan on my short-haired head that my wife likes to point out to strangers and friends alike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    I will not ride in a cotton cycling cap. It galls me that people still even make cotton caps. We've know this for many, many years: Cotton and sweat do not get along. Stupid, stupid imho atmo.

So the CoolMax Zank caps are a godsend. The new Sachs caps are too. They, and a few other CoolMax caps I've picked up over the years (hello Grinnell College!) get all my love.

Off the bike? As male pattern baldness creeps up on me I wear hats more and more.

• I've got a great wool cycling cap I won in a raffle at my kid's high school, made by a teacher (who used to work for Seven);
    • I've got a fedora that looks great when I'm in my Brooks Brothers overcoat;
    • I've got a Smith College baseball cap I've been wearing way too much.
    Funny ... I actually prefer cotton over the synthetics. They're way better for wiping your face when you stop for a riding break and need to freshen up. I use mine like a face cloth a lot. I also like pre-wetting them on warm days to enjoy the evaporative cooling effect. But hey, I'm old-school to the core. I still put lettuce leaves under my cap and shaved beef in my shorts.

Can we get a picture of you in the overcoat and fedora? Sounds nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

old Capo cap with the top cut off for trainer use

Chrome cap that's got a short, but thick bill also for summer usage

Rapha/ Focus hat for spring/ fall usage...probably my favorite. Combine with ear warmers for cooler days.

Capo wool winter cap for cold days.

Cannondale wool winter cap for off the bike sometimes.

I can't really find any that I'd care to wear on the daily basis. Most of the ones I like that fit well are over-the-top gaudy for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just came back from a ride wearing one now ,
    Cheers
    I love bike racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to wear a hat nearly every time I was on my bike, usually old cheap cotton team caps, but somewhere along the way I realized how nice it feels to ride without one. I love feeling the breeze on my forehead/ through my hair on a warm day. Now the only time I wear hats on the bike is for warmth. I have a few belgian style caps, my old wool Campy cap gets the most use. I also have some old Campitello caps and a Rapha one as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have a pretty large dome and i really like rothera's caps.

Rothera Cycling

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to rock a Swrve merino when its cold out. When its warm I tend to not wear one, although I have a handful of caps I've collected from events, builders, etc.

My better half thinks caps look stupid, so there's that as well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast