Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the NFL keen on embro?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is the NFL keen on embro?

Seems roughly half the guys in Green Bay are playing without sleaves. Even with embro I don't think I could handle the slow pace of football with bare arms at 5 degrees and a stiff wind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Is the NFL keen on embro?

Quote Originally Posted by abbeyQ View Post
    Seems roughly half the guys in Green Bay are playing without sleaves. Even with embro I don't think I could handle the slow pace of football with bare arms at 5 degrees and a stiff wind.
    Yup but it's called Atomic Balm or Tiger Balm.

Also, roid rage.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winning has an allaying effect on cold.

Go Niners.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's no shame in losing to a better team.

The 9ers D was just too good and Kaepernick and Crabtree are a deadly combo and the Packers' defense just couldn't keep up, especially when he ran the ball.

I was glad they kept it that close and would have been ecstatic had the Packers won but SFO is just too good and the Packers have too many holes in their team this year with all the injuries and all.

The season is now over for me. I don't care who wins the rest of the games, which apparently the NFL is going to go ahead with even though the only team that matters is no longer in the tournament.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watcha talking about Saab? Pats haven't even played yet!

Re: sleevelessness, ya gotta project toughness. To me it's abject silliness, but I say this recognizing full well that I shave my legs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the Freezer Bowl in '82 Bengals linemen just slathered on a bunch of Vaseline and I doubt things have changed much since then. The number of people who earn a paycheck from professional football who have the faintest idea of what embrocation is may be in the tens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny, Brian Urlacher and others used their own mix of Tiger Balm and Vaseline. These guys have way more money and training staff at their disposal than any cycling club. The stakes are high and they are making conscious decisions trying to get edge to win the game.

The bengay in the jock joke probably started in a football locker room. and you thought embro on a chamois was bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a man's world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those guys also tend to have a lot more natural insulation on them than cyclists do. I'd hate to have embro on and walk by one of those giant jet engine heaters they have on the sidelines...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I vote for natural insulation + dope.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ean10775 View Post
    Those guys also tend to have a lot more natural insulation on them than cyclists do. I'd hate to have embro on and walk by one of those giant jet engine heaters they have on the sidelines...
    Some do, some don't. Ever look at Kaepernick? He looks like he's got about 3% body fat. Some football players are big fat guys but most of them are pretty good athletes.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Some do, some don't. Ever look at Kaepernick? He looks like he's got about 3% body fat. Some football players are big fat guys but most of them are pretty good athletes.
    Woah now. You saying Big Fat Guys can't be good athletes? I take that personal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Woah now. You saying Big Fat Guys can't be good athletes? I take that personal.
    You look to be about 2%..... I'm the fatty here, not you or Darren!

Oh, and the fat NFL players are good athletes too but by the time they're 40-50 years old their knees are probably pretty beat up from carrying 300 lbs around the field since they were kids and turning and jumping and all the stress they take.

NFL players take a helluva beating...
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know I'm kidding right?
    It's a pretty interesting subject. When I'm REALLY excited about going for a ride in terrible weather I don't get cold despite doing stupid things. Once you let fear and trepidation creep in, you are doomed.
    You look to be about 2%..... I'm the fatty here, not you or Darren!

Oh, and the fat NFL players are good athletes too but by the time they're 40-50 years old their knees are probably pretty beat up from carrying 300 lbs around the field since they were kids and turning and jumping and all the stress they take.

NFL players take a helluva beating...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was pretty surprised at how well both GB and SF played yesterday after all the hype about the cold. It didn't seem to affect the level of play at all. I'm sure the adrenaline and focus helps the brain ignore the temperature. And, I wouldn't be surprised if the actual temp on the field is significantly higher than what's reported from a weather station outside the stadium.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
    I was pretty surprised at how well both GB and SF played yesterday after all the hype about the cold. It didn't seem to affect the level of play at all. I'm sure the adrenaline and focus helps the brain ignore the temperature. And, I wouldn't be surprised if the actual temp on the field is significantly higher than what's reported from a weather station outside the stadium.
    Not sure about that... I've been to probably 20 Packer games over the years. It can get cold there. The sidelines do have heaters and the players wear those big parkas when on the sidelines.

I was there when they lost to the Texans about 5 or 6 years ago. It was about 6ºF at kickoff but there was no wind to speak of.

I think the Packers had a couple drops last night and a missed interception opportunity because of the cold temps. The ball gets slick. SFO didn't make any drops. No excuses. They were the better team. But I do think the cold makes the ball slippery and dead.

But remember, most of these guys are in super good shape and are in their 20s to early 30s. Prime of their lives.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But remember, most of these guys are in super good shape and are in their 20s to early 30s. Prime of their lives.
    Not nearly so dire as the brain injuries, but cannot help wondering how being so exposed to the cold will effect them later in life. I attended UofI in the mid-1980s when every winter was like what we are experiencing now. Idiot that I was I spent extended periods of time out in the cold underdressed (among other things my friends and I had old track bikes we would ride on some frozen ponds outside Champaign).

Today I was outside for no longer than 15 minutes wearing three layers over my hands and feet and my fingers and toes are still tingling hours later.

Anyway, I guess a lot of the football players will be smart enough to migrate south when they leave the game.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

.... The ball gets slick. SFO didn't make any drops. No excuses. They were the better team. But I do think the cold makes the ball slippery and dead.

Yeah, absolutely. Not to mention how much denser air is at that temp... how much slower can you land a plane at 0 degrees?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
    Yeah, absolutely. Not to mention how much denser air is at that temp... how much slower can you land a plane at 0 degrees?
    Same indicated airspeed. But the engines run cooler at these temps. But all the mechanical stuff works like garbage. All the little sensors and valves and other things don't work well after sitting out overnight in cold temps.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ball gets slick. SFO didn't make any drops. No excuses. They were the better team. But I do think the cold makes the ball slippery and dead.
    The league allows teams to scruff the ball up so it is grippy. In the old days, it'd be slick. Unfortunately, it still remains a hard brick. The FG attempts change in the bitter cold. However, the absolute worse part of cold weather football is when your frozen hands get slapped on a helmet or something. That hurts like a SOB. Your finger tips feel broken. If the ground is frozen, you might as well play on asphalt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast