Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Need a good probe...thermometer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Need a good probe...thermometer

I'm looking for a good (as in accurate) probe thermometer for roasting large beasts in the oven and grill. I went to the local cooking gadget shop and the helpful salesperson suggest I not buy his products because they are not accurate! So I spent last night geeking out here: ThermoWorks.com - Home of the Thermapen

I have the Thermopen and like it but want something that can be inserted in the oven and alarm when target temperature is achieved. I'm considering either the ChefAlarm or one of the dual channel jobbies that allow you to measure the meat temp as well as the oven temp. I have an oven from 1971, so I know the cooking temp is not matched to the control dial anymore. Either way, I want a probe that can withstand high temps, so I don't melt it on the grill.

Does anyone have a dual channel thermo, and is it worth the extra loot? The geek in me wants one but only if it's useful in real-life. I'd be interested in hearing what people are using.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Need a good probe...thermometer

I had a Polder for a while. Went through two or three probes - wiring failed after about 6-8 months. I eventually gave up on it and went back to frequent checks with the Thermapen.

Cooks Illustrated recently tested them again and gave the nod to the Thermoworks. I always thought I might go with something industrial if I tried them again. I hope someone has a better answer in this thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Need a good probe...thermometer

$60 from Amazon. Maverick Wireless BBQ Thermometer Set - Maverick ET732

Perfect