User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3D printed Dummy headset testers wanted!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 3D printed Dummy headset testers wanted!

All-

A few months ago I modeled a dummy headset to be 3D printed. I've refined the design a bit and , and I really like the results.

ABK1001 NoHeadSet assy.jpg

I've put the assembly up for sale on Shapeways, and I'd love it if you all would buy a set and let me know what you think. I'd eventually like to get these mass produced in nylon or aluminum, but for now 3D printing is way more economical. The set is about $30, which should be worth it for most of you no matter *how* quick you are with a lathe :)

The headset is two parts. The top half has two 3.3mm holes "drilled" in it; they need to be tapped M4 in order to make the assembly really work well. I would recommend using brass tipped set screws for aluminum or steel steerers, and nylon tipped set screws for carbon fiber. You can also experiment with thumb screws or plain old socket cap screws if you like.

A note about how Shapeways works: I designed these parts and Shapeways 3D prints (SLA) them and ships them directly to you. All payment, order tracking, etc happens through them, and I never see the physical parts at all. They usually ship within two weeks.

If you're in the market for a dummy headset, please try mine out and let me know what you think. It's still a work in progress, but I suspect that it'll be useful for a lot of builders and shops.

Spencer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: 3D printed Dummy headset testers wanted!

This is a clever idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is awesome. I will be buying one after Christmas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm getting two. Too lazy to turn out 1.125" versions to add to my 1". Andy.
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks all! Andy, give me a holler when you get a chance to try them out!

S

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spencer and others,

Could you explain what part of the build process you are using the dummy headsets for?

thanks,

rody

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rody View Post
    Spencer and others,

Could you explain what part of the build process you are using the dummy headsets for?

thanks,

rody
    Taking pictures?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silly me, was racking my brain while reading through wondering what possible part of the fabrication this was utilized in, didn't even consider that :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rody View Post
    Spencer and others,

thanks,

rody
    Rody-

Jonathan is right - a dummy headset is really useful for taking pictures during/after a build.

I've used dummy headsets extensively during a build too. In particular, my workflow for building custom racks required that the frame be built up with wheels, tires, fork installed, etc. I would level the frame in my Park stand, then build the rack in-place, making sure it was level during the process. I could have used an actual headset for this, but it's just a PITA to ream/face/install a King just for a day's worth of work. A dummy is *much* quicker.

I also have a handful of frames around my shop at most times. I know guys who use bunched up cardboard to prevent the frame and fork from clanking around; I've seen zipties, rubber grommets, pieces of styrofoam, etc. Those all work, but a dummy headset w/ set screws is a lot more secure, much cleaner, more convenient, and doesn't require me to literally use trash to keep a $2k frameset together while it's hanging on my wall.

I actually see this all the time - fancy framesets in primo bike shops, and they haven't installed a headset yet because they're waiting for the purchaser to pick one out. And so it's this great piece of craftsmanship and there's a wad of cardboard sticking out from the head tube.

I'm sure different guys have a system they like, but I was never happy with the solutions I jerry-rigged up. I turned my own dummy out of aluminum bar stock once, but it was a bunch of work and looked nothing like the King that I was eventually going to install - and it required me buying a big hunk of aluminum that I never used again. Hence these.

Hope that helps!

Spencer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweet, well done. Nice range of applications.

r

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have another application, I just turned one for my painter since my paint scheme has lines from fork to frame.
    Minds Create, Hands Build.
    Ride Fast, Ride FARR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spencer, Great product, just ordered one. Thanks
    Ted LaComette

[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[x] Like. Nice that it's available in black too (for photo applications).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got my dummy head sets from Spencer/Shapeways. A few comments. These are the first 3D printed parts I've hand in hand. They feel real light/low density. the surface is dull and has a fine texture. While the shape mimics a King head set there's no way one would mistake them for a King, without some extra finishing. The top stack slips over a 1.125 steerer and into an uncut 36x1mm head tube with a small amount of play. The lower stack does the same for the HT but won't fit over an uncut Everset crown (which has a thick race lip when raw).

I have yet to get the set screws or try a dummy on a finished or machined frame/fork. But from what I see at this point I'm happy and would recommend them to any one who wanted a dummy head set. Good job Spencer, thanks. Andy.
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks so much for the feedback, Andy!

If there's interest, I'll make another version that will fit over an uncut crown race - that could be useful.

Shapeways offers a variety of other materials including a few metals. They also offer the plastics in "detail" and "polished." I'll be testing a few different configurations soon to see how they work and whether they're worth the cost.

Happy New Year, all!

S

Also, here's a photo of the dummy headset in white:
    dummy-1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spencer- No need to do another model to fit an uncut crown. It should be easy enough to grind out the existing version to fit. Andy.
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart View Post
    Spencer- No need to do another model to fit an uncut crown. It should be easy enough to grind out the existing version to fit. Andy.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but he just has to change the design and the print shop prints upon order so it's not like there is inventory of a new sku?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jonathan- Perhaps so and if looking at a seller's view you win the award. But from a user's view i still say keep the current specs. This way two options exist but for a little time with a Dremel both possibilities can be had. Andy.
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart View Post
    Jonathan- Perhaps so and if looking at a seller's view you win the award. But from a user's view i still say keep the current specs. This way two options exist but for a little time with a Dremel both possibilities can be had. Andy.
    I wasn't suggesting he do away with the spec you're talking about. Since its the amount of computer storage that fits on the very pointy part of a pin head you can make any spec an option just like black or white. There is nothing stopping a person from buying one spec and taking a Dremel to it, but why? It's 2014.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys, I *love* this debate. This is what I spend a lot of my days thinking about!

I can easily make two versions of the design, and it doesn't affect inventory or supply chain or anything. I'll have one design for uncut crowns, one for finished, and you can get whatever one you want. I would be inclined to make the oversized one fit the 31mm Paragon crown race.

I'll knock this out in the next day or two and post a link! If there are any other change requests, it's no problem for me to do those too :)

S

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast