User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you stop and take time to be alone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Do you stop and take time to be alone?

Don't laugh. Before I go to sleep each night the pup gets one last chance to do the deed and I take a little time to stand in a corner of our yard that is surrounded by mature Boxwoods, evergreens and faces the rising starscape. Boxwoods have a wonderful aroma all times of the year so the air is heavily perfumed and I swear to you that spot in our yard is about the most serene place on earth.

Do you?

*Note, no drunk typing was involved here.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Do you stop and take time to be alone?

I am always alone atmo.
    Without silence I would - heck.
    I dunno life without it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toots,

When a man is with his dog he's never alone.

xoxo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-- i have always been involved, accountable or standing at attention..
    so hard for me to be/do the above --- i so much desire that, josh & richie, and doing better each week..
    i find myself enjoying the alone ride or just being in tammy's beautiful garden world doing nothing, maybe just dream-daying a little..
    but,
    i feel so guilty not being involved/accountable or standing at attention..
    chester and warwick made me realize that i can be good/do good without having to prove myself to the outside, just gota smile from/at my inside..

a very meaningful post, my brother,

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My time on the bike. That's it, for all practical purposes. I have 5.5 year old twins and I do not get a moment of quiet to hear myself think. If I'm not at home with that noise, I'm at work with a different type of noise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like most introverts who live in a world of extroverts, I need a moment of quiet to recalibrate and rebalance my inner peace. Sometimes it's as simple as a moment outside ala Too Tall, sometimes it's a solo ride and sometimes it's me in my car without the radio just focusing on the sound of the engine.

Regardless of the situation, I think it is normal and healthy to disconnect and focus on nothing.... even for a moment. It makes me feel alive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While the new pup is wearing me out what with the 1am pees coupled with 4am poos, I'm thoroughly enjoying standing out in the back yard beneath the speckled firmament. Often the coyotes and bard owls sharing in the splendor. And the cold air exposure has paid dividends with my winter cycling tolerances. Fifteen degrees? Why not. It's my new 32.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ironically, I find one of the best places to be alone is on the island of manhattan. During the work day when the population swells to nearly 4 million people I can feel absolutely shut off from everyone. Nobody bothers me, needs me, can find me, or even cares. It's the Lonliest place I know, much more so than when I'm in a remote canyon in Utah or Ranch in Montanna. At home I retreat to my shop, often spacing out while I work that I forget to turn on the tunes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All the time. I am amazed that this is a question, with all respect. I've lived alone for a decade and ride alone most of the time. My job is utter and total sensory overload. My solitude is a requirement.

That said, it's a fine line between solitude and loneliness. It is both a blessing and a curse. Approach with caution.

I sometimes wonder what Yuri Gagarin and Alan Shepard felt.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when I was younger, I used to work really hard not to get dropped from the group. Now I drop people off the front. I love to ride with people, but I'm done with hours of accelerations and lung searing chases.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Purely and wholely, with and without ellipse, this is a mature man's condemnation of social media.*

For sure. The dog isn't the only one taking a waz in the corner.

*I may or may not be speaking of myself.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like my alone time when it's available. Riding my bike alone and smelling the earth, allowing my thoughts to wander deliciously to subjects accepted and taboo. I try to stay positive and am amazed at how negative I can be; almost as a default. It takes an effort to swing my mind to the positive and stay there.

Then again you would have to live the life I have to understand what I mean. When I am working in the hospital there are no alone moments; for 12-14 hours at a time I have to think about everyone else rather than myself, which is great therapy.

What pains me is when I want that alone time but the family wants some of my time and I struggle with the decision. Prior to becoming sober I never thought of anyone else. Then I was told to think about someone else for 15 seconds during the day.

My how things change. Great topic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have gotten in the habit of waking up early to ride before work. Even when I don't ride, I still wake up around 4:45 or 5. I love those mornings when I have a couple hours before the neighborhood starts to stir. Sometimes I sit outside with a cup of coffee and just stare into space.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just shuffle over to a crowded park bench, sit down and start jabbering to myself. I quickly find myself alone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    I just shuffle over to a crowded park bench, sit down and start jabbering to myself. I quickly find myself alone.
    thats some genius in there waiting to be recognized

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's an absolute necessity.

My girlfriend (referred to as The Boss) requires it. In her words, "you get really grumpy if you don't get some alone time regularly."

And she's right. Whenever we have guests stay for an extended period (holidays, long weekends, etc), she can see by day 3 or 4 I'm starting to turn into an ornery jerk, even if I don't.

Bike rides help with that, a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bike riding in the early morning hours.
    Running in the early morning hours or late evening hours.
    Long dog walks and long dog runs.
    Training my dog in the dark.
    I wish I lived more remote so I could get away from people more.
    If I'm in the wilderness alone, I always get an urgent sense to pee for some reason.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A good friend of mine goes on a retreat were you are not allowed to speak for several days. The first day the silence is deafening since so many thoughts are scrambled in the brain. It takes a little while to organize your thoughts without talking. Once you get into organizing your thoughts, it gets peaceful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    I like my alone time when it's available. Riding my bike alone and smelling the earth, allowing my thoughts to wander deliciously to subjects accepted and taboo. I try to stay positive and am amazed at how negative I can be; almost as a default. It takes an effort to swing my mind to the positive and stay there. Then again you would have to live the life I have to understand what I mean. When I am working in the hospital there are no alone moments; for 12-14 hours at a time I have to think about everyone else rather than myself, which is great therapy. What pains me is when I want that alone time but the family wants some of my time and I struggle with the decision. Prior to becoming sober I never thought of anyone else. Then I was told to think about someone else for 15 seconds during the day. My how things change. Great topic.
    Clyde,
    We may need to start another discussion on this recovery thing. I know when I first got clean and for many years after my mind often went to dark places while I was attempting to "meditate". My quiet time is very dear to me and I I use it most days. It can be as long as a half hour or as short as 30 seconds. During a hectic day I may go up on the roof of whatever I am building and just watch the horizon to center myself.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
    Mike Noble

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast