Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Folding knives--educate me

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Folding knives--educate me

My wife asked what I'd like for Christmas and I like the idea of a nice folding knife. My knowledge of knives doesn't extend beyond the kitchen; I have an Opinel that I love, and a few Swiss Army knives that are in rotation, but I'm pretty sure there will be some opinions/knowledge here.

I'm looking for ideas for a simple folding knife; blade only; no accessories.

Build quality/finish quality are important, but this will be a daily use knife, so nothing precious or that I will be afraid to use for everything from cutting rope to opening packages to slicing cheese & pepperoni on campouts.

Hit me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Folding knives--educate me

There was a pretty good thread with some info not too long ago. http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum...etc-33985.html

Do you have a preference for blade type, length, shape? That will help narrow down the options. For brands, I'm a big fan of Benchmade. Mine is nearly 20 years old and has been an every day carry on and off for that entire time. It's this model:

I've completely abused it and it still looks pretty good. My next one will have a more simple blade though. This one is tough to sharpen and I never really use the serrated part.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you have a blade length preference in mind? Does your workplace or state regs put any limitations on pocket knives?

I daily carry a Spyderco Delica4 and its as big as I think is suitable for use in public settings without getting weird/nervous looks from people. It's blade is right at 3". Very durable and holds a good edge. Relatively cheap too.

For something a little "dressier" you might look for something with a G10 or Micarta handle. Or even titanium.

I'm a big fan of Spyderco, but I know benchmade are great too. Al Mar knives always look classy and have intrigued me but I haven't bought for myself yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Kershaw that has served me well. I'm not a fan of the serrated blades either. I think thin is key for everyday carry. Mine is a little thick, but it went to war with me so it won't be replaced anytime soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty hooked on my Spyderco Navaja but it's a scary knife.
    It's meant to be, but with a good strapping I bet I can cut straight through a 1" line.
    I wear it as a PFD vest knife as well, so.........

I actually have a craftsman with maybe a 1.5" blade that is a really, really handy knife.

"Do I need another knife" has only one answer - "Yes"

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

thanks all.

i work for myself, so no worries about freaking anyone out.
    i don't think i want serrated.
    aesthetically i like the tanto blade shape, but it seems like they range from an almost 90 degree angle to more subtle; i like more subtle. so either tanto or traditional blade shape. one sided; no spearpoints.
    i like the integrated clip as on the benchmade above
    i have large hands, if that's a factor in terms of one-handed use/locking/opening

chad, can you post a link to the kershaw?

thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you want something with more of a tactical look or more simple?

Musgrave posted this one in the other thread and I think it's a great looking knife with a subtle tanto.

And if money was no object, this Ti and carbon version looks pretty sweet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What model is this? (Can't read the blade)

This is very close to what I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    There was a pretty good thread with some info not too long ago. http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum...etc-33985.html

Do you have a preference for blade type, length, shape? That will help narrow down the options. For brands, I'm a big fan of Benchmade. Mine is nearly 20 years old and has been an every day carry on and off for that entire time. It's this model:

I've completely abused it and it still looks pretty good. My next one will have a more simple blade though. This one is tough to sharpen and I never really use the serrated part.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 for Spyderco. I've been using their knives for about 15 years and they're tough, no nonsense, and work forever. I've got several, and among my favorites are the Endura and Delica, though my brother has a Native that he likes a lot.

C41BK_L.jpg
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love folding knives and have 6 in heavy rotation, it is a small problem ;) The benchmade is without a doubt the one I reach for the most. Quality and easy sharpening are among it's most favorite features. Garro influenced me to get the Spyderco, it scares me some. Hellofa knife and both my Benchmade and the Spyderco are G10 which is becoming my fav. steel. I've got a Chris Reeve and it's better made than both however it's harder to sharpen so I'm less likely to reach for it. All my knives get abused, cutting open plant root balls and opening letters happens. When the blades get eff'd up I just spend more quality time fixing them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echelon_john View Post
    What model is this? (Can't read the blade)

This is very close to what I'm looking for.
    Mine is a 910, I believe. But they don't make it anymore. The current version of it is an automatic, which may or may not interest you or be allowed where you live.

9101 Auto Stryker® Product Detail

The Griptilian could be a good option too. 553 Griptilian® Tanto Product Detail

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    I'm pretty hooked on my Spyderco Navaja but it's a scary knife.
    It's meant to be, but with a good strapping I bet I can cut straight through a 1" line.
    I wear it as a PFD vest knife as well, so.........

I actually have a craftsman with maybe a 1.5" blade that is a really, really handy knife.

"Do I need another knife" has only one answer - "Yes"

- Garro.
    I also have the Spyderco navaja... Great knife. It does look formidable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer benchmade or cold steel for knives that actually get used, spyderco are ok but IMO they tend to have small and oddly shaped blades as well as clunky locks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daily-carrier and user? Want something simple? Want something Nice? Want something really well-made? Want a useful all-around blade type? Try this Case out. Nice...not cheap..but they are built beautifully and what the hell...it's a present, right?

Case Copperlock Mini Mammoth Ivory

casemammothnew2010.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I'm a fan of Spyderco and Bnechmade knives, I'll also offer SOG. I've had a Spec Elite 1 for several years and it's served me faithfully. It holds an edge very well, plus the pivot and locking mechanism are rock solid and smooth.
    Spec-Elite I - Tactical
    Some of their stuff can get a little over the top as far as the tactical look goes, but they also have some knives that won't give you the survival nut reputation around the office.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Great suggestions, all. That SOG is very cool, and I really like the Benchmade Griptillion (bonus points for custom layering). I'm forwarding a few options from the selections above to Mrs. Echelon; not a bad choice among them!

Cheers,
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a SOG Topo Meridian and a CRKT "M16-12LE". Prefer the half-serrated tanto blade of my CRKT, but really like the way the SOG feels in my hand. Looks goofy, but feels badass. Unfortunately I don't like how the SOG feels in my pocket. It bugs me. It's noticeable. And backwards when I pull it out of my pocket. So the CRKT gets more EDC action.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just like with bikes, go head to your local knife shop and hold some of these in your hands. Once you get a feel for what you like internet shopping and pictures can be useful, but in real life this is a hand tool. Go pick some up, open and close them, get a "feel" for pocket weight, clip shape, lock type and most importantly handle ergonomics.

The knife world is filled with a bunch of stuff that is intended to look good to sell, but all of the big names put out solid designs. Go pick some up- you'll be pretty surprised what your hands tell you, and how scale on the monitor will translate to some pretty surprising differences in real life "size" of a knife.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fällkniven U2 or TK2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    Go pick some up- you'll be pretty surprised what your hands tell you, and how scale on the monitor will translate to some pretty surprising differences in real life "size" of a knife.
    Exactly. I have a Kershaw-Ken Onion bought off the 'net based on reviews and -- dare I say--- celebrity endorsement. The blade is outstanding but had I handled it first I would have bought something else. The handle is a bit beefy for my small hands and it does not exactly disappear into the pocket. Try before you buy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast