Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Women's Parka

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Women's Parka

My wife is looking for something like this in black, grey or green. The key elements are the furry hood, the length/cut, and the puffer look. It should withstand MN winters (lots of time around 0degF, but not infrequently down into the low teens, much lower with windchill). I'm looking for something quality, preferably (but not necessarily) under $200. I have no idea where to look for good women's stuff.

If you know where I can find exactly what I'm describing great, but even if you just point me to a place I might be likely to find out what I want, I'd appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Women's Parka

Check REI, partly because they sell high quality stuff but also because they have a good return policy.

Local New York retailer Paragon Sports does mail order as well, and they have a pretty good selection of up-to-date styles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out the EMS page too...

EMS Women's Metro Long Down Jacket - Eastern Mountain Sports

The link above is only one of about half a dozen in that long-parka style. If you see one you like PM me for a discount code: it's good for $50 off a purchase of $150 or more. I'm heading out riding for a couple of hours but will check PMs later. Oh and EMS house brand stuff is very good, as is their return policy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by al415 View Post
    Check out the EMS page too...

EMS Women's Metro Long Down Jacket - Eastern Mountain Sports

The link above is only one of about half a dozen in that long-parka style. If you see one you like PM me for a discount code: it's good for $50 off a purchase of $150 or more. I'm heading out riding for a couple of hours but will check PMs later. Oh and EMS house brand stuff is very good, as is their return policy.
    Thanks, wish the Marmot or Mountain Hardwear jackets were available in black. Might get wife to bite on a North Face without the fir.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go have a chat with the folks at Midwest Mountaineering over by 7 corners on the West bank. They will take good care of you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KENSINGTON PARKA | Canada Goose

It's much more than the $200 range, but the Canada Goose stuff is really high quality an a classic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    KENSINGTON PARKA | Canada Goose

It's much more than the $200 range, but the Canada Goose stuff is really high quality an a classic.
    +1. Canada Goose is the best you'll find. Very warm, very well made locally in Toronto by fairly paid people, and if you care about animals you'll be happy to know their goose down is ethically sourced. No one else does that, which is why other jackets cost less.

(Hmm. That wasn't supposed to sound like an advert.)
    Geoff used to race around on a Brodie Sovereign
    Geoff Morgan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boxerboxer View Post
    My wife is looking for something like this in black, grey or green. The key elements are the furry hood, the length/cut, and the puffer look. It should withstand MN winters (lots of time around 0degF, but not infrequently down into the low teens, much lower with windchill). I'm looking for something quality, preferably (but not necessarily) under $200. I have no idea where to look for good women's stuff.
    Good women's clothing which is also fashionable is $$$. I suggest you just get the VS jacket in your post. It has the cut and look she wants, it just won't be the warmest. Most of the hardcore down manufacturers have a cut closer to the michelin man. I assume your wife doesn't want that.

If you want warm and fashionable, Bogner and Moncler are the brands you want, but pricing probably starts around 700. For full length with real fur, you might as well cry in your egg nog now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Good women's clothing which is also fashionable is $$$. I suggest you just get the VS jacket in your post. It has the cut and look she wants, it just won't be the warmest. Most of the hardcore down manufacturers have a cut closer to the michelin man. I assume your wife doesn't want that. If you want warm and fashionable, Bogner and Moncler are the brands you want, but pricing probably starts around 700. For full length with real fur, you might as well cry in your egg nog now.
    The VS she wants is sold out, so no can do there. Her requirement is just that it look roughly like that one. Mine is that it be of a quality that will last a good while (I'm trying to ween her off of junk quality stuff now that we're old enough that what we want isn't changing every 5 minutes). Real fur is not important. Brand name is important only insofar as the brand represents something that's not going to fall apart in a few seasons. There are a few options that could probably work, though it sounds like my in-laws may have beat me to a coat purchase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out Eddie Bauer. The faux fur lined pockets are my wife's favorite feature.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drewgh2o View Post
    Check out Eddie Bauer. The faux fur lined pockets are my wife's favorite feature.
    We just got their catalog in the mail yesterday and the wife found something she likes. She's not willing to commit to loving it for the next 10 years so it's a good compromise - decent quality but not expensive enough that I'll cringe when she wants something else in a few years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife has been wearing this one for the past couple of years: Shop The North FaceĀ® Arctic Parka Jacket | Free Shipping

It's held up well and it's warm.